• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

recnelis

Corporal
76 Badges
Oct 21, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • War of the Vikings
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Impire
  • Gettysburg
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Wow ive been in 1000's of Betas and have never once received a DECLINED email before.... Not sure how i feel about getting declined... Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Don't ask me, I thought I had great credentials, and I too got declined. Fyi I'm a programmer on the popular Minecraft mod IndustrialCraft 2, and have been in my fair share of betas too. It's too bad, I really wanted to beta test this game, then again, I'm sure there's a TON of people who wanted to also. I just don't understand how we aren't qualified to do it.

I think that it is because you have few posts and no game registered. They don't trust in you.

Same. I can only imagine it was somewhat randomized as I doubt they needed all the people that applied.

The point of a Beta is to get feedback. If you don't like chatting then they will not get feedback. If they are not getting feedback then they are just letting you play the game early and for free.

I have complained and gave feedback for other paradox games. Mainly because I found a way to break the game <_<;;

For the most part, you have to be active on the forum with an old account along with registered games and these beta participation experiences have to be organized by Paradox. You also have to report bugs (also depends on how well your PC runs the game), you can't simply get into a beta just because you want to play the game early.

Alas I too thought I was well qualified (having done beta/post release QA for another indi studio). Just goes to show you never know what will happen! Looking forward to getting my grubby paws on a game copy when it releases :D (plz don't make us wait till next year to play)

There's one good thing about this decline mail. At least you know that you are out. Other devs usually only inform you if you were chosen to participate, and that's it. If you screwed up something in the beta application process you might not get picked up but won't know about that. Those weeks/months of waiting for the invite mail that will never come! That's me trying to be positive about it. :rofl:

There's one good thing about this decline mail. At least you know that you are out. Other devs usually only inform you if you were chosen to participate, and that's it. If you screwed up something in the beta application process you might not get picked up but won't know about that. Those weeks/months of waiting for the invite mail that will never come! That's me trying to be positive about it. :rofl:
So very very true. They had the decency to tell you that you were not picked.

Yep, we at least have closure!

Also I'm not buying this theory that post-counts, and the like are criteria cause some of the folks saying they got accepted (assuming you believe them) are low count and relatively new accounts. More likely some of the technical data is used as the first 'gate' and then the rest are randomly chosen. My very low 256 MB dedicated video memory (It's one of those shared-memory types) probably got me culled.

If you applied for some important and serious company, you would know that they don't let a lot of people becoming betas.
It's like you say you need 10 guys (because your team might not keep up the bug flow) and you have 100 people to apply. You have to cut and select.

Furthermore, it seems from my experience that being a programmer/modder is more and more common, so being one isn't anymore a big advantage to get selected.

The good part is that they did answer... I had like 20 game companies not even sending a mail stating that I'm not accepted for my beta application.

You were many applying for which we are very grateful, it's awesome to see so many people interested in the game. For now we only wanted a few people testing a wide array of technical aspects however, so sadly a lot of you had to be declined.

I Hope you will all be digging tunnels and taking care of your bearded minions soon enough though! :)

Wow ive been in 1000's of Betas and have never once received a DECLINED email before.... Not sure how i feel about getting declined... Anyone else have thoughts on this?
You've been in 1000s of betas? Assuming you're 40 you could've been beta testing for 20 years (you need to be 18 to sign an NDA in most cases) and "1000s" implies more than 1000, so let's be conservative and say 2000. That adds up to 100 beta tests per year, and assuming a beta cycle of 4 months, that means that you'd be doing 25 beta tests at any given time.

Clearly you're too busy to qualify.

You've been in 1000s of betas? Assuming you're 40 you could've been beta testing for 20 years (you need to be 18 to sign an NDA in most cases) and "1000s" implies more than 1000, so let's be conservative and say 2000. That adds up to 100 beta tests per year, and assuming a beta cycle of 4 months, that means that you'd be doing 25 beta tests at any given time.

Clearly you're too busy to qualify.
:rofl:

I got sad when I received the decline e-mail. First time for me as well, I guess I have been lucky up to this point =P ah well, I am sure the position went to someone more professional tester than myself.