+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beta DECLINED

Quote Originally Posted by lolwarrior View Post
    pretty sure it was a first come first serve policy...
    . . . . with a little randomness for good measure

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 Complete500k club

"In democracy, it's your vote that counts. In feudalism, it's your count that votes."
    Never was like that. And if it was, then the QA would surely suck.
    "Chavez is leading his people into better future, after ages of explotation they have something to be happy about. Positive thing is also that he suport good causes all over south america and world too a sign of true greatnes." -Ivio
    "Yes, Stalin said the same thing." -Tufto

"I think I'm going insane. I can like FEEL each second and minute passing and it's making me go insane because like I could be building skills in those minutes instead of making a forum post or listening to music or g-chatting with a colleague. I can feel it in my brain and in my body. It's terrible.[...]Anyone else have this?" -EFT
    "Only when I read your posts." -trajan

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Never was like that. And if it was, then the QA would surely suck.
    Having only experienced testers is just as bad as having only new players.

Depends on what level the beta is at and usually pro testers give MUCH better reports then do new players. I've seen all the "i can't play the game" bug reports I ever want to see

Sometimes the "I can't play the game" responses can be useful feedback for streamlining UI and such. A pro can't always tell you how clear a game's layout appears.

Quote Originally Posted by steveman0 View Post
    Sometimes the "I can't play the game" responses can be useful feedback for streamlining UI and such. A pro can't always tell you how clear a game's layout appears.
    Yep, that explains how DF got its UI, getting all your feedback exclusivly from the hardcore is never good.

No it doesn't, DF got a shitty UI because the developer didn't care about it.

And given that Paradox said people were chosen based on their technical aspects, aka computer setups, I don't really understand the discussion. It's a hardware test, to see what works and doesn't.
    Last edited by Heavenfall; 13-07-2012 at 09:21.

Community Manager Administrator BjornB's Avatar
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries
    No it wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenfall View Post
    And given that Paradox said people were chosen based on their technical aspects, aka computer setups, I don't really understand the discussion. It's a hardware test, to see what works and doesn't.
    This. I'm sorry you all can't get to experience the loveliness that is A Game of Dwarves just yet, but soon you all will be given the oportunity Fact is that we only let in 3-4% of all applicants at this stage so don't feel singled out if you didn't get in already.

Best Regards
    You can always check out my reborn twitter attempt: @BjornB_pdx - it kind of sucks though. But sometimes there is interesting/useful info there

Quote Originally Posted by BjornB View Post
    Fact is that we only let in 3-4% of all applicants at this stage
    Wow! That implies there is only a hand full of testers this first round (as in maybe a dozen) or there were a ton that applied for the position. . . . (But more testers will be added later.)

Either way – I like the way this is shaping up. It should mean a very good Beta phase and in the end will mean a much better game.

Community Manager Administrator BjornB's Avatar
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerkis View Post
    Wow! That implies there is only a hand full of testers this first round (as in maybe a dozen) or there were a ton that applied for the position. . . . (But more testers will be added later.)

Either way – I like the way this is shaping up. It should mean a very good Beta phase and in the end will mean a much better game.
    It was actually a quite large amount of applicants, the beta is small however. Larger than a dozen, but small
    You can always check out my reborn twitter attempt: @BjornB_pdx - it kind of sucks though. But sometimes there is interesting/useful info there

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalerWrG View Post
    Yep, that explains how DF got its UI, getting all your feedback exclusivly from the hardcore is never good.
    Haha, this is a great example that I'll need to remember for the future.

No it doesn't, DF got a shitty UI because the developer didn't care about it.
    Why would he care? The core playerbase is familiar with the UI and doesn't raise much of a fuss because they know how to use it and are willing to help those who aren't as good with it. If no one could even figure out how to play then he might have done something about it. At this point though there are enough tutorials that anyone can get into it even in its current state.
    Last edited by steveman0; 04-09-2012 at 22:29.

Why would he care that the UI is shitty? I think that question answers itself.

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteImpireKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagicka
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveThe Showdown EffectMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubWar of the Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by alexthesax View Post
    Fyi I'm a programmer on the popular Minecraft mod IndustrialCraft 2, and have been in my fair share of betas too. .
    Entitled much?
    I have programmed multiple open source programs that get used by a couple of thousand people and one also got packaged for archlinux.
    I have done Skyrim Mods and some for other games but I don't go into forums and tell people to accept me into a beta because I am the ubar master hacker...
    That's quite some attitude and you should lose it . Just my 4 gold.

Why would he care that the UI is shitty? I think that question answers itself.
    He wouldn't get very many donations if no one played the game.

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Doesent help to complain, but having been around for years and registered a tons of games and never got into a beta before on a signup except through a contest leaves me disapointed but not angry. If they pick their testers based on hardware, then I guess its useless to have a high end computer because it will run anything.
    "Slan's Special Award in Alexspeed's Victoria 2 AAR Contest For The Best AAR Style"
    Crusader Kings II: How to Rule videos -ALL 13 PARTS ARE FULLY UPLOADED ENJOY-
    The Livestream Channel itself

Back from moderation hell midget_roxx's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcher24 View Post
    Entitled much?
    I have programmed multiple open source programs that get used by a couple of thousand people and one also got packaged for archlinux.
    I have done Skyrim Mods and some for other games but I don't go into forums and tell people to accept me into a beta because I am the ubar master hacker...
    That's quite some attitude and you should lose it . Just my 4 gold.
    Devs are devs for a reason as well. What testers and devs consider bugs can be vastly different

Quote Originally Posted by midget_roxx View Post
    Devs are devs for a reason as well. What testers and devs consider bugs can be vastly different
    Most Professional/Internal Testing programs have the testers write down a description of the bug and then the tester would look for a match in a bug database to make sure they are not erroneously duplicating a know report. Then the report gets classified by the Game designers, programmers and producer by severity or even rejected as 'Not a Bug' (it will stay in the Database though so as to avoid re-reporting). I'm familiar with a three tier classification system, 'A' Bugs generally crash the game or make it impossible to play (like not being able to trigger the ending of a stage in the campaign), 'B' bugs greatly diminish player experience without destroying it all together (like not getting the reward from a side-quest) and 'C' bugs and very minor things (misspelled words in the Chinese localization).

Quote Originally Posted by BjornB View Post
    You were many applying for which we are very grateful, it's awesome to see so many people interested in the game. For now we only wanted a few people testing a wide array of technical aspects however, so sadly a lot of you had to be declined.
    In such a case, you should really address that in the e-mail. Especially if you foresee later BETA phases that require more people.

The reason why most productions don't do this 'declined e-mail' stuff is because they put your application on file in case they need to use it later.

For The Glory

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalerWrG View Post
    Most Professional/Internal Testing programs have the testers write down a description of the bug and then the tester would look for a match in a bug database to make sure they are not erroneously duplicating a know report. Then the report gets classified by the Game designers, programmers and producer by severity or even rejected as 'Not a Bug' (it will stay in the Database though so as to avoid re-reporting). I'm familiar with a three tier classification system, 'A' Bugs generally crash the game or make it impossible to play (like not being able to trigger the ending of a stage in the campaign), 'B' bugs greatly diminish player experience without destroying it all together (like not getting the reward from a side-quest) and 'C' bugs and very minor things (misspelled words in the Chinese localization).
    We call them errors, warnings and notices.

And gentlemen, remember to compile C with the -Werror flag. Makes better code.
    AARs of Sir Svip OLIR:
    Glory for Ulm A Flagland AAR (Europa Universalis IV) (ongoing)
    Winner of: ACA 2014 Q2: EUIV, ACA 2014 Q1: EUIV (Split), AARtist of the Month (May 2014), Seal of Mythic Approval and having the same title as another popular AAR.
    Ulm plays Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods as Someone (finished), Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness as Austria (finished) and March of the Eagles as Russia (finished)
    Winner of: Hats.
    Glory for Ulm A Flagland AAR (Europa Universalis III) (ended)
    Winner of: Europa Univeralis: The Musical, Cities in Motion DLC: Ulm, AARtist of the Month (June 2011), (Royal Dutch Cheese of Anti-Frognessship), (Swedish Meatball of Volvo and Björn Borg), (Cyan Blue Cookie of Awesomeness), (Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness), ACA 2010 Q4: EU Comedy, (Paradox Cookie), WritAAR of the Week (2011-01-30), "Best everything, ever" award, (Irish Shamrock Cookie) and being in this signature.
    Full list at my Inkwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast