How to fulfill quest to connect places across the town.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jul 8, 2012
Hi everyone!
I'm relatively new to this game and new to these forums, so please move this topic if necessary.

Currently, I only build on the tutorial map in the freebuild mode to learn the game mechanics.
I have now got three individual quest from potential customers asking me to build lines from various places in the town to some other places.
To the best of my knowledge, this is exactly what I did. But the tasks don't complete.
The passengers would have to use different lines and change between them, including a little walk, but the connection in principle is possible and should be convenient.
I'm not sure how often passengers are willing to change, but in at least one occasion, both targets lie within the radius of my metro stations, which in turn directly connects them.

Rather surprisingly, the quests sometimes popped up, right before or after I was about to create a line in that region anyways.
I have uploaded the saved game to my webspace so you can inspect my mistakes directly rather to have to rely on my descriptions.

Thank you for the help in advance!

Some of the tasks require the two specified locations to be connected by a single line of the specified transport type (if there is no specified type you can use any). You will find that most people on here recommend setting up a simple bus route, where permissible, with a stop at each location and a single bus. Start the line, collect the reward, and then close the line/sell the bus/stops.

In a task where it is required to connect A to B, you need to do it with only one line.
These tasks are completely random. If you complete them you recieve a reward, but they do not change the behaviour of passengers in the city.
In most cases the line that you build for the task is not profitable, you can demolish it right after you get the reward (there is no penalty for that).
On the campaign, you will recieve tasks that are mandatory to complete the scenario, but again, once the task is complete, you can destroy the line.

As has already been explained, in most cases you will need to build a single line with stops that cover the target places.
Sometimes, the clues as to what type of transport are shown in the "dialogue" when the request pops up, and not in the brief summary shown in the tasks box. So take note of both. There are instances when a particular type of transport is demanded, or simply when the places must be covered by the network (in which case, the single line is not required). But these are rare.

Later in the game, when getting these requests, I find that one or more of the requested places is already covered. I then build an extra stop to cover the missed location, add it to the existing line, activate it to get the credit, then remove the new stop immediately.
This is typically done with a bus line, as stops are easily placed, but I have sometimes done it with trams and even metros. Balancing the value of the reward with the expense needed to achieve it usually points to buses, though.

I have also found that when getting requests for two or three lines to be built to a single place, there is a possible "cheat". The game logic counts the no. of stops used in active lines, but not the number of separate lines. So, building three bus stops that all cover the target location, then adding these three stops to a single new line, will usually complete the task...... If you already have a line that covers the locations, then simply build new stops and add them to the line. In the original game, the task will often auto-complete if the coverage is already present. In later DLCs, the logic tries to account for existing lines and requires extra lines/stops be added.

As already mentioned, there is usually no need to retain the line once the reward is given, so demolish immediately to save on maintenance costs. Either store the vehicle in your depot, or re-assign it to an overloaded route.
However, when the task also requires that the new line carries a certain number of passengers, it is also advisable to add stops in places which can generate passengers, such as high-density residential zones or train stations. This should enable the task to complete quicker.

Your technique of getting cim people to change between modes of transport to complete their journeys is a good one, however, as they will do this and pay you each time they change mode of transport. They get free passes for continuing their journey on the same type of transport, however. So while the tasks often require a single line and a single mode of transport, your network in general should probably not follow this building plan.