The slow-down towards end of a match is still unbearable.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

functional

Corporal
Aug 8, 2011
I'm in to 180 turns or less and I'm starting to feel the strain this game is under. Finishing a turn can take up to 7-8 seconds, switching UI interfaces can take a while as well. And it only gets worse.

Seriously, this game shows so much potential for me. Why does it have to be ruined like this? I mean, sure, even Civ5 can strain my computer when the amount of enemies and neutral factions are maxed, but even then it takes a long while until it's becomes burdening.

I understand that the game is not in it's finished stance, but I keep seeing meaningless fixes and nitpicks in patches instead of resolving something huge as this. To my understanding, I'm not the only one with this issue.

I'm running on Phenom II x6 3.2ghz (leaving a total of 6.4ghz for SOTS2) and affinities are appropriately set, three dedicated to background processes and three dedicated for SOTS2 (no idea why, just prefer 3 instead of 2).

And Win7 64bit, 8gb DDR3 1666mhz mem with GTX560 ti 2gb 256bit

7-8 secs would be a 20% improvement for me. First turn is 15 seconds and then it drops to 10 secs a turn. I get to about turn 40 before I find something else to do. Jumping between design, research, and other screens take 2-3 secs sometimes 5.

I have an i7 920, 12 gb ram, and ati 4980 1gb.

Just as a comparion

I'm playing the 6 player disc map, on turn 287....

Main Map to Research - near as instantaneous
Reserch to Main Map - < 2 secs

Main Map to Ship Designer - near as instantaneous
Ship Design to Main Map - < 2 secs

Turn time < 8 seconds

Win 7 64bit Ultimate
i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz
8Gb Ram
ATI 5870 1Gb

As a 2nd comparison Endless Space takes about the same per turn in the late game.

7-8 seconds is fast, I play civV regularly and I got 10-25 seconds per turn end by the middle of the game (huge maps with tons of AI) and on my last SotS game (a couple of weeks ago) I had 8-10 seconds turns bt turn 200...

Warder

7-8 seconds is fast, I play civV regularly and I got 10-25 seconds per turn end by the middle of the game (huge maps with tons of AI) and on my last SotS game (a couple of weeks ago) I had 8-10 seconds turns bt turn 200...

Warder

I was going to quote Civ V, even at the start of the game it takes 5 or 6 seconds per turn.

I personally don't think the turn times are that bad. 8, even 10 seconds is fine as I find I'm simply considering my next move anyway. The only time it becomes a problem is if you're racing through the turns...in which case you're not really playing it properly.

SotS Prime turn time I seem to remember was pretty much instantaneous...so here's hoping they can do something similar.

I'm playing the 6 player disc map, on turn 412....

Main Map to Research - near as instantaneous to one second
Research to Main Map - < 2 secs

Main Map to Ship Designer - near as instantaneous
Ship Design to Main Map - < 2 secs

Turn time < 6 seconds

Win 7 64bit Professional
AMD Phenom Quadcore BE @ 2.6Ghz
4Gb Ram
ATI 4670 1Gb
Onboard sound card (AMD Hi Def sound)

Seems good to me. I know lots of games that are slower.

I've played Endless Space. I've played Civ 5. I've played a whole bunch of turn based games.

In Civ5, it's slowing down heavily towards the end (usually though the game is heavily populated with AI).
Endless Space.... well, I think they sort of messed up that game. But turns there were a lot faster than here.

And SotS prime as has been mentioned, gives nearly instant turns. That's what I want to see.

I think SotS 2 calculate battles more realistically and that's why it's taking time. I'd rather have it do that than less accurate battles.

No matter how good you computer is its slow as hell. I have 130-180 fps in Bf3 with partly ultra graphics, its just ridiculous.

Map Sotsverse Turn 95 with highest graphics, all turned on.

Main Map to Research - 2 sec
Research to Main Map - 4 sec

Main Map to Ship Designer - 1 sec
Ship Design to Main Map - 4 sec

Turn time - 15 sec

Specs:

Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz to 3.9 Ghz
Geforce GTX 670 Palit
16 Gb RAM 1.333 Mhz

Ps: Windows starts in 17 seconds to fully functional, enter password included. Maybe they need to adjust their min requirements ;)

Last edited:
What I don't get is that the game is pretty fast to load battles (less than 5s).

And some things that should be pretty simple, like selecting a system, sometimes take longer than that.

Specs:

Intel i5 2500K 3.30Ghz
8Gb RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6970

What I don't get is that the game is pretty fast to load battles (less than 5s).

And some things that should be pretty simple, like selecting a system, sometimes take longer than that.

Specs:

Intel i5 2500K 3.30Ghz
8Gb RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6970

System selection is a thread hang they are working on IIRC, and the turn time is mostly AI processing, lots of choice throughout most of the game. Not having Human or Suulka opponents is supposed to help so I hear.

No matter how good you computer is its slow as hell. I have 130-180 fps in Bf3 with partly ultra graphics, its just ridiculous.
FPS is almost entirely a matter of your GPU's power. Your complaints are about delays related to content loading/unloading and CPU load.

I think that, when combat starts, your ships and the local terrain (planets, asteroids, star) get loaded, combat begins, then enemy ship models get loaded in the background so as to shorten load times. This is partly concealed by the "red blip on the edge of sensors" mechanic. I could also be completely wrong.

System selection is a thread hang they are working on IIRC, and the turn time is mostly AI processing, lots of choice throughout most of the game. Not having Human or Suulka opponents is supposed to help so I hear.
I assume the "thread hang" is because they're doing file I/O on the UI thread.

…Or (worse) doing file I/O in its own thread, but having the UI thread drop everything and wait for the asset loading to finish. Other, more terrible possibilities come to mind, but I'll leave it at that.

FPS is almost entirely a matter of your GPU's power. Your complaints are about delays related to content loading/unloading and CPU load.

I think that, when combat starts, your ships and the local terrain (planets, asteroids, star) get loaded, combat begins, then enemy ship models get loaded in the background so as to shorten load times. This is partly concealed by the "red blip on the edge of sensors" mechanic. I could also be completely wrong.

…Or (worse) doing file I/O in its own thread, but having the UI thread drop everything and wait for the asset loading to finish. Other, more terrible possibilities come to mind, but I'll leave it at that.

You are innacurate. When the graphics load is being limited by a database making transactions too slowly the grahics will appear to lag when it is actually the graphics waiting on the database.

You are innacurate. When the graphics load is being limited by a database making transactions too slowly the grahics will appear to lag when it is actually the graphics waiting on the database.

My comment was in reference to FPS in another game (GPU performance... mostly) lacking any point of comparison to UI lag (CPU, memory, disk performance) in SotS2.

I wasn't claiming that SotS2's UI lag was somehow due to GPU load. In fact, I suggested quite the opposite in the third part of my post.

From what I've seen, the thread in question spends most of its time in SQLite calls. So it seems it's really handling game data and logic around and the rest of the process has to hang until it's done. From what I've seen in the save file, the game data model is not hugely complex (there are a fair bit of triggers though) so I don't know why it takes so much time, especially with the DB being certainly in RAM.

In any case, I wouldn't assume the devs aren't working on that. I think it's a difficult problem, and while it does not seem like they're working on it according to patch notes, I'm sure they have a branch about that somewhere on their VCS :p
Besides, one of the coders recently left the team to go on a tour with his band, it's not really helping I guess.

Latest patch turns back to unbearably long

With this latest patch the turns have gone back to unbearably long again. You can tell they are going to take a long time from turn 1, so I am not sure how the devs missed this one. 6 man game I am only approaching turn 80 and turns are hitting minutes in length. Again, it fails the "turns taking so long that you pass out and drool on yourself in boredom" test.

With this latest patch the turns have gone back to unbearably long again. You can tell they are going to take a long time from turn 1, so I am not sure how the devs missed this one. 6 man game I am only approaching turn 80 and turns are hitting minutes in length. Again, it fails the "turns taking so long that you pass out and drool on yourself in boredom" test.

It is because AI improvements.