• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(425201)

Colonel
3 Badges
Dec 19, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I'm sorry for having so many short AARs, but this one should last. I use a mod without the corrupted save problems, that doesn't take forever to load (like vanilla does on my computer), and which is really good- there should be no reason I don't continue on with this AAR to a reasonable time, barring boredom of course (I hope this doesn't happen again). This will be an AAR as Sweden, where I teach what happened as if it was historical fact, with game play notes along the way. I hope you have fun reading this.

Last edited:
Chapter 1-Introduction
As we know, what happened between 1399 and 1821 is a great matter of debate among modern historians. The general consensus, though, affirms that there was a mysterious person behind the scenes known as the "player" who was pulling the strings, usually with one country, over, at least, the beginning of this time period (a lot of records of history have him or her resigning after a year or two, or somewhere in the 16th or 17th centuries). This "player", in almost all records of history, has done exceptionally well. Oftentimes, he or she turns a country owning a single county into a regional, or, sometimes, world power. Some records have the "player" take over the entire world. However, nothing ever happens in Antarctica or the Arctic, which is strange. Some records of history also have this "player" in control from 1066 to 1453, or from 1836 to 1936, or even in the modern day. This "player" treats the world as a kind of game, and acts like it. All other countries were led by the "AI". This "AI" was incredibly stupid, especially in diplomacy. "AI" countries had an absolute limit of 3 alliances that were not their vassals or that were in a personal union with them. Also, "AI" countries which controlled a single county often times asked the "player" in peace negotiations, every month, to pay all of their treasury to the "AI", every month, but was laughed at every time. The "AI", in its stupid nature didn't understand this. History was "played" by the "player" on a "game" called "Europa Universalis III", "Victoria II", or various other "games". But I'm going to tell you what really happened. In reality, the "player" "played" history in a "mod" of "Europa Universalis III" called "Death and Taxes". He was "playing" as Sweden. This "AAR" will talk about the adventures of Sweden. How the "player" dealed with things like war, diplomacy and economy, over, not 1399 to 1821 like most thought of, but, instead, starting from 1356, and ending in 1861. Some "screenshots" of the "game" will be shown.

Last edited:
This looks good,subscribed

If your gonna use pics then I'm in.
I'll use pics, but it will be mostly narrative. I think I'll start working on an update now.

Chapter 2- The Rise of Sweden

The "player" was thinking about what he'd do. He was "playing" a "game" where he could secretly pull the strings of any nation he wanted, all around the world, from 1356 to 1861. The "game" was Europa Universalis III. The "mod" he was using was Death and Taxes. For mysterious reasons, he picked Sweden. The "player" wrote a script for a speech that the king he was going to pull the strings at first, Magnus II Edison Birger. He suffered from really low capability. In the "player"'s "game", it displayed his capabilities at 3 for Administration, Diplomacy, and Military. Luckily, however, he was capable of reading the speech satisfactorily. It went as follows:
"People of Sweden, a golden age is about to come to our glorious nation. It will be a 500-year reign where Sweden will build armies past what any of you have experienced, expand her domain like never before, and topple all of her enemies. The rise of Sweden has begun!"
The crowd was roaring with applause. What they didn't know however, was that the "player", who was controlling the king, cared about the people, only as it was related to the sucess of his 'game". He thought that the world was a game, and acted like it. The king continued with the speech, with a map of Sweden, with some things about it's situation. The crowd didn't know it, but the map was actually from the "computer screen" of the "player":
2d13cew.png

"Sweden has enemies all around her. To her west, Norway is looking jealously, desperately wanting some of our glory. Denamrk, to the south is doing the same thing. To the east, Novgorod is desperately trying to gain glory to herself, to emulate ours."
And the crowd went wild.

Gameplay Notes:
My first goal is to form Scandinavia, for which I need 26 provinces in the Scandinavian region, with cores. Here are the number of provinces each nation has in Scandinavia, ranging from highest to lowest.
Me-16
Norway-10 (so if I conquer Norway completely, after the 40 years you need to get a core passes, I'll be able to form scandinavia)
Denmark-4
Novgorod-1
Uncolonized-1
Here are some screenshots of the starting positions:
Sliders:
10ek2ug.png

I went Defensive, because you get no penalties in Death and Taxes for going fully defensive, but it lowers your revolt risk by 1, lowers your stab cost by 10%, gives you a yearly diplomat, lowers your artillery cost by 25%, and, most importantly, increases your fort defense by a whopping 75%. On the other hand, going Decentralized gives you some military benefits, so I figured Defensive would be better than Centralization.
Economics:
2lsiszc.png

I have one colony. IIRC, I got a Master of the Mint so I can mint a little bit safely.

*THIS UPDATE IS NOT COMPLETE, I AM MERELY POSTING IT IN CASE I ACCIDENTALLY EXIT MY BROWSER OR SOMETHING*
EDIT: I won't be continuing the update just yet. I'll be checking other things first.

Oh good, you're using the latest version of D&T. I haven't downloaded it before finishing my current game, so I'll be paying attention here. Good luck in overcoming the personal union and the states that surround you.

Good Luck.I hope you capture everything Novgorod has in scandinavia :p

Still no screenshots? Anyway I will follow but I will not sub before I see pics and things start to get Interesting.

Oh good, you're using the latest version of D&T. I haven't downloaded it before finishing my current game, so I'll be paying attention here. Good luck in overcoming the personal union and the states that surround you.
Actually, I'm using 6.5. A new update, 7.0, is out, but savegames of 6.5 are incompatible with 7.0.
Welcome aboard!
Good Luck.I hope you capture everything Novgorod has in scandinavia :p
Yeah, hopefully... but I don't need to, to form Scandinavia. Conquering Norway is sufficient.
Still no screenshots? Anyway I will follow but I will not sub before I see pics and things start to get Interesting.
I posted screenshots on the second update.
A Challenger appears!

Good luck on your Swedish AAR, do better than I am. :p
I'll see if I can.

Chapter 3- The war of Norwegian Aggression
The "player" was thinking about how to construct his armies. Using math, he calculated that the ideal army would be of 5 thousand infantry and 4 thousand cavalry, giving the state of economics in Sweden. He also realized that in this "mod", carracks are not in the game. He would have to wait until the technology is researched for a caravel. The "player" was looking at the "sliders" (which represent what the state favors). He was pondering what to do with them. He decided to favor defensive, for mysterious reasons (Sorry for repeating). In Stockholm, the people were furious. The fortifications were taking away from their land, and they were fed up with it. Soon, 6 thousand peasants took to arms to rebel against Sweden. They demanded lower taxes. The battle was fierce and took months to end. But finally, the army stationed there went out victorious. they captured all of the remaining peasants, and put to an end all hope of lower taxes for the people of Stockholm.
2mecvox.png

Gameplay notes: Some wars going on that should be of interest to us:
Denmark vs. Holstein and Mecklenburg
Brandenburg vs. Pomerania
Poland, Lithuania (remember-they aren't in a PU in 1356), Wallachia and Moldavia vs. Hungary, Teutonic Order, Croatia, Transylvannia
Golden Horde vs. Novgorod (GH won, and severely crippled Novgorod by taking a lot of their land)

The "player" planned, on December right before the census tax comes in, to recruit his units then. Then, the king was disturbed by disheartening news. It came from a child, who escaped from a Norwegian army who they saw coming to besiege the city of Orebo, in the province of Varmland.
"King, I have witnessed horrifying news, that I must bring to your attention. An army of 4,000 Norwegians have, with no provocation, come swarming down on the great city of Orebo, in the southwest of our realm. They have stormed in and besieged the city. I was screaming to my family at sight to run away to Stockholm. But they refused. So I ran away by myself. I was able to see from a safe distance on a hill the horrors of it all. People were hopelessly screaming fro any help they could get. Many screamed from help from above. I was thinking about my friends and family- what are they doing? It sent chills up my spine."
The king saw the child, with tears streaming down him. He would never forget them. He raised the troops that he would have raised in December immediately, to come back at the Norwegians, who had launched an unprovoked attack on the country he was supposed to defend. He sent an army to Varmland, to save Orebo. The army was succesful. However, the Norwegian army was retreating more and more into their lands, and the army was forced not to pursue them.
*This update isn't over. I will continue it later (unlike the last one, I figured that one actually was)*

I'm sorry for not updating in over a week, I've been too lazy and occupied with other things. Maybe later I'll get into the AARing spirit.;)