• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Melnerag

Major
81 Badges
May 13, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Age of Wonders
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hello!

I've been hooked to paradox' grand strategy games after trying out Europa Universalis III, still enjoying Victoria and Crusader Kings. But, what about a sci-fi/speculative history grand strategy game set in the 21st century?

Premise:
The game starts in 2012, modern-day world, letting the player lead a nation to the onset of the 22st century and through such challenges as managing increasing global population, struggling with resource-scarcities, balancing growing corporations and social welfare, choosing between democratic and authoritarian paths, racing to establish first colonies on moon and mars.

Mechanics:
Victoria II introduced a very interessting system of economy and manufacture, Crusader Kings II a system of characters, their ambitions and schemes. This game could combine and expand on the two. The characters (CKII) turn into interest groups: major corporations, trade unions, sectarian religious groups, human rights groups, greenpeace for that matter. They all press the government, have their plots of buying votes (in democracies) etc etc. And lets not forget nationalists who try to tear Bask-land from spain or Northern Ireland from UK, for example.

Focus:
Victoria had a focus on economy, Crusader Kings on war and plotting. This game should have focus on internal and external politics and economy. How do you manage a nation? How do you reconcile conflicting interests of all the groups? How do you create an economy that is competitive in the 21st century, which treaties and alliances you make to get access to strategic resources? Do you support the aspirations of a new break-away nation, and discover nationalists in your own home inspired or do you refuse to acknoledge a new nation and face international condemnation? Do you keep Antarctica independent, or enter an alliance with other powerful nations to carve it up and exploit it?

Problem is, if it's set in the future, it's no longer a historical grand strategy game, which is what Paradox have also made.

It would be a futuristic/sci-fi grand strategy game.

Far future sci-fi grand strategy exists. Distant Worlds is just buggier, slower and more expensive than Paradox's games. Oh, also completely different than what you wanted and also quite dissimilar to Paradox games.

Last edited:
No.I'd rather see a historical game

I wouldn't mind a game that stretches beyond the current date. It's not that hard to look ten, twenty or thirty years down the road with some military tech, which keeps things within the realm of possibility. Starting date however would have to be before the game is released, with a period around the release time as the final select-able date.

If the game has an HOI style focus (narrow in timeline, grand in scope of variables), then I would say the late 80s would be a good initial starting point. Forty to fifty years of gameplay would be more than acceptable at HOI pace and the first twenty or so years of gameplay can follow historical events. For instance energy developments and other political movements. So a Soviet Union player for example would have to work like a dog to not implode, or manage their implosion in a way that they can pick up the pieces. A Western nation would have to manage how they'll capitalize on the demise of the rival super-power, and deal with the presence of the only remaining one. The industrial rise of China is another thing that could be modeled as a part of early game considering much of the groundwork was being put in place.

It would make for a nice mix of determinism and variability, much like how in CK2 the Mongols and Black Death show up sooner or later and it's your job to adapt.

@justin: Check out East vs West.

I've seen it, but that ends in '91. I suppose that allows for DLCs that would stretch to the modern day and beyond, it just depends on how and where Paradox wants to take things. The heart of my point was that you can allow for a game that goes beyond what's already history with making it science fiction.

I've seen it, but that ends in '91. I suppose that allows for DLCs that would stretch to the modern day and beyond, it just depends on how and where Paradox wants to take things. The heart of my point was that you can allow for a game that goes beyond what's already history with making it science fiction.

I'd say, of all the games they've made/will make, East vs. West would actually be fairly easy to convert to a modern day mod. The world hasn't changed that much.

Any modern game should start in 1992 and go to 2100. That would cover our lifetimes easily.

Hello!

I've been hooked to paradox' grand strategy games after trying out Europa Universalis III, still enjoying Victoria and Crusader Kings. But, what about a sci-fi/speculative history grand strategy game set in the 21st century?

Premise:
The game starts in 2012, modern-day world, letting the player lead a nation to the onset of the 22st century and through such challenges as managing increasing global population, struggling with resource-scarcities, balancing growing corporations and social welfare, choosing between democratic and authoritarian paths, racing to establish first colonies on moon and mars.

Mechanics:
Victoria II introduced a very interessting system of economy and manufacture, Crusader Kings II a system of characters, their ambitions and schemes. This game could combine and expand on the two. The characters (CKII) turn into interest groups: major corporations, trade unions, sectarian religious groups, human rights groups, greenpeace for that matter. They all press the government, have their plots of buying votes (in democracies) etc etc. And lets not forget nationalists who try to tear Bask-land from spain or Northern Ireland from UK, for example.

Focus:
Victoria had a focus on economy, Crusader Kings on war and plotting. This game should have focus on internal and external politics and economy. How do you manage a nation? How do you reconcile conflicting interests of all the groups? How do you create an economy that is competitive in the 21st century, which treaties and alliances you make to get access to strategic resources? Do you support the aspirations of a new break-away nation, and discover nationalists in your own home inspired or do you refuse to acknoledge a new nation and face international condemnation? Do you keep Antarctica independent, or enter an alliance with other powerful nations to carve it up and exploit it?

I would love this game.
They could take combat model from HOI3, economy and politics from Vic2 and maybe diplomacy and long term gameplay ideas from EU3 (many short wars, and just one gigantic one).

Since Paradox Games become ahistorical as soon as you unpause after loading your scenario, a 21st century game that starts 'today' would just be within the definition of a PI grand strategy game.

If we don't lose HOI, EU, VIC or CK, then yes, this or one based on Antiquity... but there's still lot of improvement to do on the current games!

When I read this I remember one of the first Firaxis step, Alpha Centaury, it was a great game and a fresh Civ-like game set in the future. I imagine that it could be pretty fun to have a similar thing from paradox. For example you can mod CK2 and make a Dune-like world with the 4 great houses...