+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Grand Strategy set in the 21st century?

A Grand Strategy set in the 21st century?

Hello!

I've been hooked to paradox' grand strategy games after trying out Europa Universalis III, still enjoying Victoria and Crusader Kings. But, what about a sci-fi/speculative history grand strategy game set in the 21st century?

Premise:
    The game starts in 2012, modern-day world, letting the player lead a nation to the onset of the 22st century and through such challenges as managing increasing global population, struggling with resource-scarcities, balancing growing corporations and social welfare, choosing between democratic and authoritarian paths, racing to establish first colonies on moon and mars.

Mechanics:
    Victoria II introduced a very interessting system of economy and manufacture, Crusader Kings II a system of characters, their ambitions and schemes. This game could combine and expand on the two. The characters (CKII) turn into interest groups: major corporations, trade unions, sectarian religious groups, human rights groups, greenpeace for that matter. They all press the government, have their plots of buying votes (in democracies) etc etc. And lets not forget nationalists who try to tear Bask-land from spain or Northern Ireland from UK, for example.

Focus:
    Victoria had a focus on economy, Crusader Kings on war and plotting. This game should have focus on internal and external politics and economy. How do you manage a nation? How do you reconcile conflicting interests of all the groups? How do you create an economy that is competitive in the 21st century, which treaties and alliances you make to get access to strategic resources? Do you support the aspirations of a new break-away nation, and discover nationalists in your own home inspired or do you refuse to acknoledge a new nation and face international condemnation? Do you keep Antarctica independent, or enter an alliance with other powerful nations to carve it up and exploit it?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Problem is, if it's set in the future, it's no longer a historical grand strategy game, which is what Paradox have also made.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    EUIV: Art of War

It would be a futuristic/sci-fi grand strategy game.

Far future sci-fi grand strategy exists. Distant Worlds is just buggier, slower and more expensive than Paradox's games. Oh, also completely different than what you wanted and also quite dissimilar to Paradox games.
    Last edited by eleinvisible; 09-07-2012 at 08:40.
    Wonder is the basis of worship.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

No.I'd rather see a historical game
    [22:23:51] <Groogy> Mathrim, give it to me gently
    What Crusader Kings 2 makes you say:
    [19:23:43] <Duke> I just need my damn wife to die
    [19:23:48] <Duke> Then I can invade and take their shit

I wouldn't mind a game that stretches beyond the current date. It's not that hard to look ten, twenty or thirty years down the road with some military tech, which keeps things within the realm of possibility. Starting date however would have to be before the game is released, with a period around the release time as the final select-able date.

If the game has an HOI style focus (narrow in timeline, grand in scope of variables), then I would say the late 80s would be a good initial starting point. Forty to fifty years of gameplay would be more than acceptable at HOI pace and the first twenty or so years of gameplay can follow historical events. For instance energy developments and other political movements. So a Soviet Union player for example would have to work like a dog to not implode, or manage their implosion in a way that they can pick up the pieces. A Western nation would have to manage how they'll capitalize on the demise of the rival super-power, and deal with the presence of the only remaining one. The industrial rise of China is another thing that could be modeled as a part of early game considering much of the groundwork was being put in place.

It would make for a nice mix of determinism and variability, much like how in CK2 the Mongols and Black Death show up sooner or later and it's your job to adapt.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

@justin: Check out East vs West.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestra View Post
    @justin: Check out East vs West.
    I've seen it, but that ends in '91. I suppose that allows for DLCs that would stretch to the modern day and beyond, it just depends on how and where Paradox wants to take things. The heart of my point was that you can allow for a game that goes beyond what's already history with making it science fiction.

Maybe look into Supreme Ruler 2020?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by justin6477 View Post
    I've seen it, but that ends in '91. I suppose that allows for DLCs that would stretch to the modern day and beyond, it just depends on how and where Paradox wants to take things. The heart of my point was that you can allow for a game that goes beyond what's already history with making it science fiction.
    I'd say, of all the games they've made/will make, East vs. West would actually be fairly easy to convert to a modern day mod. The world hasn't changed that much.

Any modern game should start in 1992 and go to 2100. That would cover our lifetimes easily.
    I am the Emeror of the Intergalactic Roman Empire! Bow before my might!
    Current Game: Basiliea Rhomaion

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...amp-Taxes-AAR. A new AAR: HAIL BASILIEA RHOMAION!! ALL HAIL THE HELIX FOSSIL!!! A PPA MEIOU&Taxes AAR. Will it fail? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn3ipen View Post
    It would be a futuristic/sci-fi grand strategy game.
    I'd quite like a sci-fi grand strategy game from paradox...

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Melnerag View Post
    Hello!

I've been hooked to paradox' grand strategy games after trying out Europa Universalis III, still enjoying Victoria and Crusader Kings. But, what about a sci-fi/speculative history grand strategy game set in the 21st century?

Premise:
    The game starts in 2012, modern-day world, letting the player lead a nation to the onset of the 22st century and through such challenges as managing increasing global population, struggling with resource-scarcities, balancing growing corporations and social welfare, choosing between democratic and authoritarian paths, racing to establish first colonies on moon and mars.

Mechanics:
    Victoria II introduced a very interessting system of economy and manufacture, Crusader Kings II a system of characters, their ambitions and schemes. This game could combine and expand on the two. The characters (CKII) turn into interest groups: major corporations, trade unions, sectarian religious groups, human rights groups, greenpeace for that matter. They all press the government, have their plots of buying votes (in democracies) etc etc. And lets not forget nationalists who try to tear Bask-land from spain or Northern Ireland from UK, for example.

Focus:
    Victoria had a focus on economy, Crusader Kings on war and plotting. This game should have focus on internal and external politics and economy. How do you manage a nation? How do you reconcile conflicting interests of all the groups? How do you create an economy that is competitive in the 21st century, which treaties and alliances you make to get access to strategic resources? Do you support the aspirations of a new break-away nation, and discover nationalists in your own home inspired or do you refuse to acknoledge a new nation and face international condemnation? Do you keep Antarctica independent, or enter an alliance with other powerful nations to carve it up and exploit it?
    I would love this game.
    They could take combat model from HOI3, economy and politics from Vic2 and maybe diplomacy and long term gameplay ideas from EU3 (many short wars, and just one gigantic one).

Cities in MotionDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

That would burn a lot of computers.. HOI3 already has speed issues endgame, vicky2 too, and then combine that with eu3 will mean a very small playerbase.

Geo-Political Simulator.

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

How about a game that stretches from the Gulf war into modern times (2011 or 2012)? Like a world-wide political/economic simulator?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Wallienator View Post
    That would burn a lot of computers.. HOI3 already has speed issues endgame, vicky2 too, and then combine that with eu3 will mean a very small playerbase.
    Why is that? Surely there is some way around that.

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty II Collection
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Would love a 1949- future grand strategy game including NATO, UN etc.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    MagickaSemper FiWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    War of the Vikings

Since Paradox Games become ahistorical as soon as you unpause after loading your scenario, a 21st century game that starts 'today' would just be within the definition of a PI grand strategy game.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of Nations
    Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IV

If we don't lose HOI, EU, VIC or CK, then yes, this or one based on Antiquity... but there's still lot of improvement to do on the current games!

When I read this I remember one of the first Firaxis step, Alpha Centaury, it was a great game and a fresh Civ-like game set in the future. I imagine that it could be pretty fun to have a similar thing from paradox. For example you can mod CK2 and make a Dune-like world with the 4 great houses...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast