• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think while for now paradox should remain for a little bit more to dual cores,it should make moves to gradually make it better for quad cores.But more than 3ghz?I think it would be better if it were 2.4 ghz(minimum dual core)+
I think GPU is more important than the number of cores and graphic card in paradox games?i don't remember

This is wishful thinking, but I'd love it if a new engine supported spherical maps -- e.g., letting you move across the poles. We're years away from a new engine, though, and I doubt a feature like that is particularly necessary or desired.

This is wishful thinking, but I'd love it if a new engine supported spherical maps -- e.g., letting you move across the poles. We're years away from a new engine, though, and I doubt a feature like that is particularly necessary or desired.
I like the idea, but it will make things more complicated. Like you said, some players might not like it and it will also require more computing power.

But it's a great idea. Keep them coming!

Personally I think Cylindrical maps are best. I don't think Spherical maps would add much.

Though in Hearts of Iron they really need to make the seasons effect day lengths...

I wanna say "LOL"... QUAD core 3GHz??!? Minimum!? Seriously there is not a single game that requires that and grand strategy games won't be ever needing that much.

Not really an engine thing, but I'd really like to see a future game that's at the crossroads of Crusader Kings and Vicky. Basically a feudalism game that pays more attention to population and social classes instead of just abstracting everything into holdings. The economics doesn't need to be anywhere near as rich as Victoria's, and Vicky's completely-globalized trade would definitely NOT be a good fit, but you should at least be able to track your burgher, peasant and noble pops of various religions, cultures and loyalties.

Basically Victoria 2 has spoiled me and now I want super-detailed demographics in all my Paradox games, even though I'm still most interested in the medieval and early-modern periods.

Few things that in my opinion should be the minimum requirement:
- 64-bit OS
- quadcore CPU, preferably above 3 GHz
- 4 Gb RAM
- DX10 Graphic card (even if not initially, it could later be used to use the computing power of the gpu for things besides graphics)
Uhm, while I support the engine being able to use all of those things, it is way out of bounds, 64-bit could be included in an extra executable while the launcher auto detects if it is a 32-bit or 64-bit enviroment, I could see dual core as a requirement, but it is more sane to have number of cores as a recommended setup rather than required, 4 GB of ram well I'd atleast want the development team to work with 2 GB as a goal and if that doesn't seem to work then 4 GB is fine but working with a large budget can make you spend carelessly.
Finallt DX 10 graphics card, well it'd be nice to support it but not require it but as an alternate also support opencl maybe, many people play (or at least played) the games through wine on linux and requiring DX 10 graphics would make that nigh impossible, opencl is however available on both platforms and is quite faster on some graphics cards.
Besides that I think it would be great, if events could also come with video. So the possiblity to use videos ingame would be amazing, even if paradox itself wouldn't make use of the future, mod teams could use it to add a little extra. :)
This I totally agree with, it would be awesome.
This would be great for modern games, flying bombing missions over and submarine missions under the north pole would be great.

/Zorbeltuss

I'd say Dual Core 2.6Ghz, 4GB Ram and an 8800GT level card would be good minimums. These games don't really need that much Ram or a great GPU, but multi-core optimization would be needed. I'd heavily argue against 64bit OS requirements. You can't make a game that doesn't support a 32bit OS, not yet at any rate.

Id love a new engine. I think the next logical step would be to try and get rid of the pre-determined provinces and "stacks" of armies moving on the board. Maybe naval combat could be adressed in some way as well. Other than that I think the current enigne is good enough and it seems there are plenty of ways to design it to simulate what you want it to. Be it an economic system like Vicky or a more military oriented game like hoi 3.

There are two kinds of computer games players. Those who buy computers to play games and those who play games because they have a computer.

A Venn diagram including those two plus Paradox customers would show overlap on both sides, and I'm guessing that the bigger overlap will be over the latter group.

That may be, but I still think it's necessary. And they are not that high.

And just to clarify something: I wrote preferably above 3 Ghz. - 4 cores, so it can be optimized for that number of cores and also a little for cpus with more cores, without having to even give a second to think about cpus with less cores. And the more computing power each core has the better.

Just in case people ask: why 4 cores, why not 6? Even Intels newest cpu generation only has 4 cores, so it's the number of cores most people probably are gonna have...

If you truly believe that, then do yourself a favor and never, ever run a game company because you clearly don't understand how the business works. There's a reason that franchises like The Sims and World of Warcraft have been/were massively successful: accessibility. Both of those are able to reach a wide audience because even folks with relatively crappy PCs can play them. The goal of any PC game developer should be to insure their product can reach as much of their potential audience as it can (within reason, of course). There's absolutely no good reason a game like PI's grand strategies should be pushing modern PCs to their limits, it's just a strategy game. If you demand too much from the buyer, they won't buy it. If they don't buy it, PI suffers, and at the minimum we're looking at the game not getting more content released for it as their isn't a big enough market to justify it. That's not worth "makin' it look purtier!".

I just wanted to convey my wishes/ideas for the next gameengine/games by paradox.

Since Hoi3 already very demanding and had to be "dumbed down" in the beginning, because it wasn't running very smoothly and often still isn't in the later years, I think the next engine needs to make use of as much available resources as possible and the minimum requirements need to be higher than many will probably like.

Few things that in my opinion should be the minimum requirement:
- 64-bit OS
- quadcore CPU, preferably above 3 GHz
- 4 Gb RAM
- DX10 Graphic card (even if not initially, it could later be used to use the computing power of the gpu for things besides graphics)

Besides that I think it would be great, if events could also come with video. So the possiblity to use videos ingame would be amazing, even if paradox itself wouldn't make use of the future, mod teams could use it to add a little extra. :)

Just my thoughts.

It's my understanding that the current engine doesn't support multi-core, if that's the case, then this would be my first wish!

Regarding videos... it depends, CK2 has very stilish drawing, replace them with videos and the game is slower, bigger, and you loose in style... so what did you gain? One of the first thing that I hate, skip (and disable if available) on Civ were the videos for the great wonders, and I still find the muppets rulers pretty disturbing... ¬¬

But if you use a PIP sistem to show battles that your current view isn't showing, that's another thing...

It's my understanding that the current engine doesn't support multi-core, if that's the case, then this would be my first wish!

Regarding videos... it depends, CK2 has very stilish drawing, replace them with videos and the game is slower, bigger, and you loose in style... so what did you gain? One of the first thing that I hate, skip (and disable if available) on Civ were the videos for the great wonders, and I still find the muppets rulers pretty disturbing... ¬¬

But if you use a PIP sistem to show battles that your current view isn't showing, that's another thing...
Regarding the videos I was mainly thinking of games like hoi3. Where there is actual video footage from the era. Could be quiet nice to see footage from Stalingrad when the battle is over, or something like that.

The average Paradox player is history/ahistorical buffs who are in college/high school/are jobless/on a budget. Paradox games already fit a strict niche. Forcing people to go buy new systems reduces that niche. If people wanted to play grand strategy games with large spec requirements, they'd find Starcraft IIesque and Total Waresque games to play (Who by the way actually have fairly naval/ship systems that Paradox doesn't have) and not map painter/move your sprite games like EU3, Vicky2, CK2, and HOI3. Speaking as someone who's biggest reasoning behind playing Paradox games being their low spec requirements mixed with adequate amounts of fun for the machinery I use, I can say that upgrading to higher specs would cut me out of the loop. I'm fairly sure it would cut at least, a minimum, of 50% of Paradox's customer base out of the loop at this point in time because people simply can't afford upgraded systems. I'd be willing to bet that if given a poll, 70%+ paradox players are playing systems released before 2010, mostly in the 2005-2009 range. These systems if "average" when purchased would have extreme difficulties with the specs you are suggesting. You'd be alienating a large portion of the niche population here at Paradox.

I could see it working in 4-6 years minimal, but for now most people simply would not buy a new system just to play a Paradox game. Not when the older version works just fine on home computers/laptops and the "final" version of the game wouldn't be released for 3-5 years after the initial release. It is always best to buy paradox games at least 12-24 months after release as you will get the game and all the expansions/extra content at a discounted price. Forcing people to upgrade their systems would result in a lot more people looking at it this way and Paradox would lose a ton of money, discouraging release of future games in the genre. Just my personal opinion, really.

I have the specs to play Total War games, and I still by far prefer Paradox games.

I think you'll find a lot of Paradoxians are similar. Many of us started in Total War, and switched to Paradox due to the fact that they give us a much better playing experience. Total War games are all looks and no substance.

That most players are history buffs is on the money though. But we're not playing Paradox games because our computers aren't good enough for anything else.

That is what I mean though. My specs are good enough to play the Total War series, yet I play Paradox games. if you up it to the suggested specs, however, my computer would not be able to run Paradox games, but could still run total war games. With that in mind, I wouldn't buy a new system to play a new paradox game when the previous version would be just as good until 2-3 expansions, or "downloadable content" *cough*Sword of Islam*cough* is released. By that time, I'd be likely have a new system and be willing to buy the Paradox game..At 25% of the original price.

What i'd really want to see is paradox games playable on linux systems.

(And not this bloatware windows that i have to use for gaming)

May the gods of historical heresy hear me.

Status
Not open for further replies.