Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting dates?

Alluccate: "Viva 'o Rre!!!" Ciccillo Rre's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries

Starting dates?

Will there be more starting dates/scenario to start a game, as it usually is in Paradox games?

Or, like in Victoria 2, the complexity of the economic system is such that it is not feasible/useful to spend time on more than one/few scenarios?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    While I would love a starting date at maybe 1945, or 49 (Depending if you where you want to start the cold war) I'd also love an option to start in 1985 and actually carry the SU through Glasnost and Perestroika.

Still wondering how long the game will be, ending in 1991, or proceeding beyond the end of the cold war.

Glory to the Icons!
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by marat271 View Post
    While I would love a starting date at maybe 1945, or 49 (Depending if you where you want to start the cold war) I'd also love an option to start in 1985 and actually carry the SU through Glasnost and Perestroika.

Still wondering how long the game will be, ending in 1991, or proceeding beyond the end of the cold war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallocain View Post
    The game will be a Grand Strategy/Wargame set during the Cold War era - 1946-1991.
    This
    Creator of the The CK2-EU4 Converter Improvement Project
    "The mod is the bomb, I am not ashamed to admit to having been aroused ever so slightly XD" - Phibs

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III

Since i.e. Israel was created in 1948, one can assume that the game will include several starting dates. Perhaps you might start whenever you wish, like in CKII.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronq View Post
    Since i.e. Israel was created in 1948, one can assume that the game will include several starting dates. Perhaps you might start whenever you wish, like in CKII.
    I don't really see the link between Israel and multiple starting dates.

I guess that dependes on how you view Israel. I view Israel as a major and significant power throughout the entire Cold War. Thus only having the option to start in 1946 would exclude the Israel as a playable nation. But perhaps this is premature speculation, since we have no clue about the nature of this game altogether.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

If the UN is properly modeled it could be a UN decision to create a Jewish state and give the countries surrounding it a CB on Israel. That is if some conditions are meet or after a certain date. Or simply make it an event. It could make up for a fun game trying to play as Israel or one of her enemies.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

I guess that dependes on how you view Israel. I view Israel as a major and significant power throughout the entire Cold War. Thus only having the option to start in 1946 would exclude the Israel as a playable nation. But perhaps this is premature speculation, since we have no clue about the nature of this game altogether.
    With 46 start date all the soon to be independent former colonial states would be unplaybale on start. Besides Israel this would also include India and Pakistan, pretty much whole Africa, Vietnam etc.

It would be pity if you couldn't start on later dates when these countries would be already existing. I would hope that there were start dates at least on Korean and Vietnam wars.
    "It is because people's minds are not logical and enlightened that the Empire is in disorder. If the country is not properly ruled there will be no end to rebellions. And if anyone wishes to get the knowledge of how to rule it properly he will only find it in books. That is why the publication of books is the beginning of beneficient rule."

- Tokugawa Ieyasu

I would love to have a chance to kick Israel bully butt!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I guess it could be handled like in HoI where there are pretty deterministic events that push the world towards a relatively plausible war; in EvW there could be, for instance, an event/decision for the UN to create Israel, for decolonization etc. A '46 start would indeed make a lot of nations unplayable but that could be solved by playing up to that date and then loading as one of those nations, or having something similar to the mechanic in V2:AHD where you can choose to switch sides to the CSA if you play the USA when teh ACW breaks out: when a new nation gains independence, the player gains an event where it's possible to switch to play that nation.
    Raph: 1 Beuraucrat
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: N/A
    Ideology: Communist - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Are you a leftist too? Join the Red Paradoxians!
    Issues: Planned Economy/Full Citizenship
    Current Work: Student
    Cash Reserves: 0£
    Revoltrisk: 50%
    Militancy: 5 (+0.15)
    Counsciousness: 10 (+1.00)

Quote Originally Posted by DarthJF View Post
    With 46 start date all the soon to be independent former colonial states would be unplaybale on start. Besides Israel this would also include India and Pakistan, pretty much whole Africa, Vietnam etc.

It would be pity if you couldn't start on later dates when these countries would be already existing. I would hope that there were start dates at least on Korean and Vietnam wars.
    Just to be picky, Vietnam was actualy independant between September 1945 and November 1946 and was actualy invaded by France in 1946. So depending on the starting month you should have an independant Vietnam on the map.

It doesn't depend of my view of Israel. Germany is undeniably a major and significant power and yet Vicky 2 doesn't start in 1871, it only had one starting date which was 1836 and when it got a second one it was still not 1871. That an important country "would not be on the map with X date" just doesn't mean PI will make multiple dates, wether it is Israel or anything else.
    Last edited by Archam; 07-07-2012 at 00:11.

But there's a important difference here. In Victoria II you can play as Germany through creating it by starting out as Prussia, thus at least making it latently playable. The same pattern obviously can't be applied here because of these novel game mechanics rooting in the new historical system.

But there's a important difference here. In Victoria II you can play as Germany through creating it by starting out as Prussia, thus at least making it latently playable. The same pattern obviously can't be applied here because of these novel game mechanics rooting in the new historical system.
    I see your point. I still think multiple starting dates are unlikely considering the amount of work collecting the data might represent. It would be nice though of course.

I don't really see a problem why Israel would have problems with emerging in 1946 scenario. You simply need series of events based on the game mechanics related to the POPs migration (significant surge in migration of jewish POPs in the post war period), high level of unrest in the province and global politics.

It's not like Germany formation in Vicky 2 whatsoever, since it's only 2 years to the country formation from the scenario start. Conditions are set and it's very possible to have historical outcome with a little push.

It might be harder to see other historical stuff though. It's not that obvious that Mao will win for example or that decolonizing countries choose their historical ideological supporters.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post
    It's not that obvious that Mao will win for example or that decolonizing countries choose their historical ideological supporters.
    That's actually one of the most interesting things with this start date. Wheter China goes communist or stays under nationalist rule should have a huge effect on how the cold war plays out in the game.
    "It is because people's minds are not logical and enlightened that the Empire is in disorder. If the country is not properly ruled there will be no end to rebellions. And if anyone wishes to get the knowledge of how to rule it properly he will only find it in books. That is why the publication of books is the beginning of beneficient rule."

- Tokugawa Ieyasu

Initially after the end of WWII the UK was also a superpower I hope there is a potential for it to maintain, or at least attempt to maintain, this position at the early start dates.

East vs West developer
    CORE Minister of Propaganda
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by DarthJF View Post
    That's actually one of the most interesting things with this start date. Wheter China goes communist or stays under nationalist rule should have a huge effect on how the cold war plays out in the game.
    Well realistically Operation Ichi-go followed by the surrender of Japan meant that the writing was pretty much on the wall as far as Nationalist China was concerned, though it still took some years of fighting until the KMT had to revert to Taiwan...
    Last edited by Hagar; 10-07-2012 at 15:30.
    CORE Minister of Propaganda

East vs. West softcoding department

Doing my bit for the boys - CORE2 Developer & Beta tester

CORE 0.41 for Armageddon is released! Download it here
    CORE 0.62.8 Open Beta for Arsenal of Democracy is released! Download it here
    The CORE Travel Guide for AoD version 6 is released! Download it here

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Forget Israel, how will Paradox portray the occupied nations like Germany, Japan, Austria and especially Korea?
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Hey devs, could we have some information on whether you've planned more than one starting date?
    Raph: 1 Beuraucrat
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: N/A
    Ideology: Communist - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Are you a leftist too? Join the Red Paradoxians!
    Issues: Planned Economy/Full Citizenship
    Current Work: Student
    Cash Reserves: 0£
    Revoltrisk: 50%
    Militancy: 5 (+0.15)
    Counsciousness: 10 (+1.00)

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

They propably can't tell it yet since they seem to be limited on what they can tell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast