• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

xcrissxcrossx

Lt. General
96 Badges
Nov 23, 2010
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Majesty 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
It seems like some factories always run at a deficit, while some run at a major profit. I have a very hard time determining whether the goods produced by the factory will get sold or not, and I was wondering if there was a good way to determine this.

Well, look at the current market ledger and see what (manufactured) goods have a very high demand while little of it is actually produced; those are your first targets.

Shipyards (clippers, steam) are also a very good basis, especially in the game's beginning.

It seems like some factories always run at a deficit, while some run at a major profit. I have a very hard time determining whether the goods produced by the factory will get sold or not, and I was wondering if there was a good way to determine this.

Depends on circumstances and what you control. I find that oil buildings are good, for some reason, even in Germany.

I'm not so sure. I wonder how much it actually varies from game to game. I know the market and POP system is "complicated", but most of it is under the hood and beyond the reach of players. That being true, I don't know how much it actually changes. My guess would be that there is generic advice for which goods to produce at different time periods. I've been thinking about running some experiments...

For the most part, there really isn't one "Best" factory. There are a few that consistently return good profits at various stages though, if only because everyone needs the output.

When building up industry, key things to look at is what you produce from RGO output, what you have to buy, who else is buying (specifically their rank/prestige) those goods, and who needs the factory output.

If you're not in the top 10, look to build factories that you can supply internally. If you're building a factory that requires goods you don't produce, find out who else is buying them. If you're a higher rank, you get dibs and you're fine (as long as the requirements are cheap). If you are a lower rank or demand on inputs is high and inflating the cost, either change plans or take the opposing country down.

Likewise, even if a good is not in demand, try and find out who needs it. Just because the world as a whole doesn't need... say, aircraft, for example... doesn't mean one country won't buy up every last plane you produce and make you a killing, strictly because you're the only guy building them.

There's little point in building a wine factory (which can be very profitable), if you don't have sources of glass or fruit. The market could be flooded with both, but if Great Britain is buying all of it for their own wine factories, you're screwed. This is why you can build a factory for a product that looks like it's in high demand, but still go bankrupt. You either cant afford the input, or have nowhere to send the output.

If you're in the top 3 or 4, this is less of an issue, mainly because you'll have first dibs on the world market.