• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ANO1453

Lt. General
45 Badges
Jul 2, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
Hi

This is my first AAR. Currently I'm playing with Brunswick:
2mwdves.png

The nice flags and borders are the work of DanubianCossak.

Brunswick is a nice country, located in between big targets friends:
33dlgqw.png

The big neighbouring nations are Brandenburg, Munster and the Hansa.

The actual game is already somewhat ahead, but the first mission was the same:
p4nja.png

Yay, war!
33us5tg.png

Actually that is two different wars, justified by this:
mission.png

In the meantime, we saw Meckleburg was isolated and without heir :) Without Mecklenburgian allies to fight, that was an easy war.
Then, we declared war on Hesse. Chain alliances meant that all my neighbours would fall upon me - but the King of Brunswick is not dumb:
kingandadvisors.png

Well, at least not militarily. And for the other matters he is well advised.
Pommerania-Woltgast, which we expected to be war leader because it was the only one with two provinces, was being eaten by rebels; Pommerania's allies, Hamburg and Saxe-Lauenburg were losing an War against Hansa - Lauenburg was even vassalised by Hansa before I declared war. I was only left with Lippe and Hesse (it used to be Kassel before I annexed it). A new mission pops up and God says those nasty people at Hamburg are not worthy of the space of land they occupy.
The confident Mecklenburgian king agrees:
status_of_war.png

(you can see Pommerania is still rebel occupied - peasants don't like taxes)

MPM is my favorite mod.What do you plan on forming.germany?Subscribed

Is the infamy cost in the mod reduced to counter-balance the number of provinces added, or is it still 4 to get a province and a minimum of 8 to annex?

Access to the sea

Wars evolve:
warleaders.png

You can see the picture - The Schwyz guaranteed Hamburg, and allied Genoa. Genoa was called in and became war leader. Genoa called its ally Milan. In MPM, Milan is a rather big country, so it took war leadership from Genoa.
milan.png

Still no problem, Frederick thought, Milan is a far away land power, and Germans are not very found of giving military access to the first country that asks so.
It was an odd war - somehow, Hansa, Pommerania and a few others got in my side on this war, yet they did not show up on my side. Surely they must be dumb not to see the advantages of being associated with such a kingdom as Brunswick - they shall see not before long.

And there we were, still waiting for the sieges to finish. Since I had some extra cash from an event (which was also very helpful to maintain big -ish armies in a country that is very bad in trading) I even paid 20 ducats to accelerate the siege.

At this point, the king figured it was best to finally make peace with Lippe and the other guys (Meissen), having gained Lippe as a vassal in hopes that would improve the manpower, which is the biggest hurdle Brunswick encountered in these wars. The dukes of Lippe were trilled to be able to do something in their lands now, after having been occupied for quite a few years, so thrilled that the moment they became vassals they started to like us :)

siegeofhamburg.png

Sieges are long in MPM. Level 2 forts are standard in Europe. It should not be a surprise that it took Brunswick two years until Hamburg fell into their hands, and until God's will was fulfilled:
annexationofHamburg.jpg

But before Stade (land of Bremen, since Bremen itself is owned by Hansa) fell, the heir died:
murdered_heir.png

Heinrich, whose name spelt of big riches to Brunswick, died at the hands of a spy, who managed to commit suicide before he was forced to reveal his paymasters.

genoa.png

Frederick, still mourning his son's death, was not in great spirits to fight off the second wave of Genoans that threatened the campaign.
The first stack of 7 had been defeated just a few months earlier in the fields not very far from Hamburg (the Genoans then fled to their boats and sailed to Pommerania, where rebels destroyed what was left). This army would not suffer the same fate:
genoa_peace_out.png

It was not until many months later that Stade fell:
siegeofbremen.png

leading to more peace, and to a new vassal:
vassalisingbremen.png

A big sacrifice, to eat 9 of infamy just to have another vassal, but God's new-found will required such a move to weaken the Hansa.

(note: this is my first AAR, hence that little missed event just captured on the log, and the battle of Hamburg, the biggest battle of the War for Hamburg - Genoa's stack of 7 vs my eight full regiments - also not caught on screenshot)

Last edited:
MPM is my favorite mod.What do you plan on forming.germany?Subscribed
Forming Westphalia, then Germany :)

PdoxNewbie said:
Is the infamy cost in the mod reduced to counter-balance the number of provinces added, or is it still 4 to get a province and a minimum of 8 to annex?
I put up the screenshot for the vassalisation just because of that - it's 9 BB to vassalise without Casus belli. And even with proper casus belli, as you can see, I gobbled up a few badboy for annexing Hamburg. For taking provinces, the BB is 10 and for annexing, BB is 14.
There are a couple more modifiers to reduce badboy, so if you follow CB's you should be OK (I'll show some MPM modifiers in the next update, and the economic state of the realm).

Keep going!

Unexpected events force early moves

hansa_conquest_1.png

This was the mission God gave us, but alas, our manpower is not great right now (you can see in one of the screenshots bellow that it is around 450), and people want to go back to their homes and be with their families. Other countries start to see us as villains. War must rest, for the time being.

We started this update at war with Milan and Siena, the remnants of the war against Hamburg. But the king saw what admitting defeat did to his legitimacy, and he figured it was best to go to Milan and force a white peace on them. Preparations started:
hansa_conquest_2-1.png

Münster? Gelre? Brabant? Is that the route to Milan?
Remember when I said that German princes don't like to give passage to anyone? The red dots are the countries that deny us passage, so we planned to go along the orange route:
hansa_conquest_3.png

King Frederick died however, even before Brunswickian armies arrived Münster:
hansa_conquest_4.png

The new king commanded the armies to remain in Brunswick. The new king was not very concerned with Legitimacy, since he had none.
hansa_conquest_5.png

Being a diplomat, he knew it was important to have the support of the military, specially not being a military leader himself:
hansa_conquest_6.png

Thus increasing the military leadership of our country. Two commanders and one admiral (serving only as defender of Hamburg, since our fleet is non-existent), all started out as mere soldiers (aka, all generated by events).
hansa_conquest_7.png

The new king cut land maintenance, and moved the armies to our capital, when he heard news of something happening to the North...
The Danish fleet attacked the Hanseatic fleet in the Oresund, Hanseatic armies sieged Holstein...
hansa_conquest_8.png

Surely, Sweden had broken off the PU, and somehow, Hansa got involved on the Swedish side.
Peace would have to wait.

Joachin cancelled military access into the Hansa, and, in the beginning of the next year, 1408 of Our Lord, declared war on Hansa:
hansa_conquest_9.png

Our Dutch allies were busy in a war with Holland, and so only our Junior Partner Mecklenburg answered our Call to Arms. Sweden didn't join this war, probably busy with Denmark, but even if it had joined, Brunswick would not have to fear since their enemy Denmark controls the Straits with their superior fleet.

A bad harvest struck right before the war, and Joachin supported the peasants, knowing he could not afford to have 14 regiments rebel to his recently acquired crown:
hansa_conquest_10.png

Joachin Opp, quickly moved his men into Oldenburg, where the fort was badly manned due to the recent wars and managed to take the city in a matter of days. Oldenburg still had some men left in a nearby country however, and the king did not have the time to fight them off, so it peaced out with in exchange of money.
The general went back to Brunswick to fight of Magdeburg and Saxe-Lauenburg - leaving a few men behind besieging their provinces. Meckleburg took care of Lauenburg.
The king realised that there were Danish troops in Lubeck, and that Hanseatic armies would arrive there quickly, it sent Joachin to head there with haste, via Holstein. Danish and Brunswickian fought, side by side, in the Battle of Lübeck:
hansa_conquest_11.png

It should be noted that the great majority of the men were ours, and that we saved the Danish besiegers. Joachin pursued the retreating Hanseatic army into Holstein, there defeating Oskar definitely:
hansa_conquest_12.png

The land was now safe. Mercenaries were disbanded, land maintenance was once again reduced. All we could is to wait:
hansa_conquest_13.png

In the meantime, we pursued several royal marriages, in an attempt to improve the legitimacy of the king:
hansa_conquest_14.png

Poland also offered us an alliance, the king of Zwolle proposed her daughter in marriage, and princes and princesses went off to Denmark and deeper into Germany for foreign courts.

Policy changes were made, towards Land:
hansa_conquest_16.png

Until, finally, Bremen fell:
hansa_conquest_17.png

And Lubeck fell to Denmark, despite our vast numeric superiority. Military leaders are still puzzled on why people defected, though the Bishop of Hannover says people are exhausted from the war effort:
hansa_conquest_18.png

Denmark peaced out with Hansa quickly after the city fell, stripped her of her money (and solving the dilemma I had between taking the money or annexing)
hansa_conquest_19.png

It didn't took long for Joachin to end this war:
hansa_conquest_20.png

and fulfil God's will:
hansa_conquest_21.png

Apparently Christ was poor, and the Hansa was an association of capitalists whose mere existence was an insult to the Christian religion - or so the King of Brunswick told the courts of his neighbours.

Last edited:
Great!Can you please post a map?Also that event reminds me of some chain events that lead to chaos i have seen in this mod :p
Now you can traid easier in Lubeck since it is yours and you have a core right?

Great!Can you please post a map?Also that event reminds me of some chain events that lead to chaos i have seen in this mod :p
I actually took a map of Europe somewhere in between, but this update already had 20 images:
hansa_conquest_15.png
Would you like those F12 maps that show the whole world instead?
I already have seen a Civil War, a Peasants War and a Regency in Disarray.

Now you can traid easier in Lubeck since it is yours and you have a core right?
Yes, much more easier. And it's the end of the Hanseatic Trade League.
I don't fell sorry - I was a member and I had Shrewd Commerce Practices, yet my merchants go consistently kicked out. Apparently people don't like to trade with infamous nations ;) Go figure.

Interesting development of thhe world.Keep going

I'm not familiar with MPM; what precisely does it change?

I'm not familiar with MPM; what precisely does it change?

New map with a lot more provinces and a significantly different culture setup in Eastern Europe and the Caucasus

New mission system which works more on giving 'logical' missions which take a lot more of context into account though it's not perfect atm

A lot of new decisions for state reforms of various types, with associated events

Generally harder with higher infamy costs and more RR in provinces

Generally better balance sliders and NIs

OE AI is historically scary as hell most of the time :p

It's a big mod and changes a lot but I'd recommend people try it out, it's one of the better balanced / more challenging mods I've played lately.

I hadn't heard about MPM before I read this either. I'm a MEIOU fan. But this looks like this could be a very fun AAR to follow if you continue!

Hi

Sorry for the delay - issues with the laptop.

I have screens for another update, but barely anything relevant happened (if we exclude that I have a new heir :) ), so I want to play some more to collect interesting stuff.

Status of the realm

And this is Brunswick. Still a fairly small country, but much enlarged:
status_1.png

Economically, we are doing well:
status_3.png

Inflation is higher than what would be desirable, but nothing dangerous. We have a small deficit, but now we can compete on Lubeck and, hopefully, bring in some cash!
status_9.png

(and by the way, it does improve our situation, a bit - Lubeck lost 600 ducats of value at the end of the month, with the end of the Hanseatic Trade League):
status_10.png

We considered changing our NI, until we saw it's actually better than we expected,
status_4.png

and that without it, merchants are going to be very scarce:
status_14.png

The people are sick of wars:
status_8.png

And foreign countries look at us with apprehension:
status_6.png

Nevertheless, we are cultural leaders!
status_2.png

Joachin pursues Royal Marriages throughout Europe, in hopes of improving legitimacy:
status_15.png

But our people seem to be the ones most relieved by the joys of Royal Marriages:
status_18.png

With time, our stability level increases:
status_13.png

Despite all the Royal Marriages, the king seems to prefer to have affairs with noblewomen of lesser statute:
status_16.png

And the beauty of the mother did not make the new heir a more capable one:
status_17.png

Our neighbour and vassal, the Bishop of Bremen, was invited to baptise the new born, and, after the wedding, he offered Joachin to interfere on his behalf. Joachin, with a restored treasury, agreed:
status_19.png

(note: this is an MPM event. I confirmed it was actually Bremen, but I don't know who ended up with the money, if Bremen or the Papacy).

We get news from Civil Wars in Ryazan and England:
status_20.png

There are solidarity movements in Holstein and Kassel. Joachin Opp fights some rebels in Holstein, so that the Dukes like us in case Sweden forces Denmark to release Holstein.
status_22.png

The Kassel protesters did not ask for permission, so Joachin Opp went there to demand them a "fee".
status_23.png

Some women never saw their husbands again, but they chose to stay at home after they saw the "fees" demanded by the king.

Our ally, Poland, was in war for a few months when it their messenger arrived:
status_24.png

If you still remember German princes and Military access, you should understand why Brunswick sent a gift to Brandenburg:
status_25.png