+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

Hi

This is my first AAR. Currently I'm playing with Brunswick:

The nice flags and borders are the work of DanubianCossak.

Brunswick is a nice country, located in between big targets friends:

The big neighbouring nations are Brandenburg, Munster and the Hansa.

The actual game is already somewhat ahead, but the first mission was the same:

Yay, war!

Actually that is two different wars, justified by this:

In the meantime, we saw Meckleburg was isolated and without heir Without Mecklenburgian allies to fight, that was an easy war.
    Then, we declared war on Hesse. Chain alliances meant that all my neighbours would fall upon me - but the King of Brunswick is not dumb:

Well, at least not militarily. And for the other matters he is well advised.
    Pommerania-Woltgast, which we expected to be war leader because it was the only one with two provinces, was being eaten by rebels; Pommerania's allies, Hamburg and Saxe-Lauenburg were losing an War against Hansa - Lauenburg was even vassalised by Hansa before I declared war. I was only left with Lippe and Hesse (it used to be Kassel before I annexed it). A new mission pops up and God says those nasty people at Hamburg are not worthy of the space of land they occupy.
    The confident Mecklenburgian king agrees:

(you can see Pommerania is still rebel occupied - peasants don't like taxes)
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

MPM is my favorite mod.What do you plan on forming.germany?Subscribed

Europa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

Is the infamy cost in the mod reduced to counter-balance the number of provinces added, or is it still 4 to get a province and a minimum of 8 to annex?
    GENERATION 37: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
    Participate in the ranking of every EU3 nation from easiest to hardest!
    Post your Tahiti games!
    Post your Always vWar Mod progress!
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...r-Mod-Progress!
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...s-War-progress!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Access to the sea

Wars evolve:

You can see the picture - The Schwyz guaranteed Hamburg, and allied Genoa. Genoa was called in and became war leader. Genoa called its ally Milan. In MPM, Milan is a rather big country, so it took war leadership from Genoa.

Still no problem, Frederick thought, Milan is a far away land power, and Germans are not very found of giving military access to the first country that asks so.
    It was an odd war - somehow, Hansa, Pommerania and a few others got in my side on this war, yet they did not show up on my side. Surely they must be dumb not to see the advantages of being associated with such a kingdom as Brunswick - they shall see not before long.

And there we were, still waiting for the sieges to finish. Since I had some extra cash from an event (which was also very helpful to maintain big -ish armies in a country that is very bad in trading) I even paid 20 ducats to accelerate the siege.

At this point, the king figured it was best to finally make peace with Lippe and the other guys (Meissen), having gained Lippe as a vassal in hopes that would improve the manpower, which is the biggest hurdle Brunswick encountered in these wars. The dukes of Lippe were trilled to be able to do something in their lands now, after having been occupied for quite a few years, so thrilled that the moment they became vassals they started to like us

Sieges are long in MPM. Level 2 forts are standard in Europe. It should not be a surprise that it took Brunswick two years until Hamburg fell into their hands, and until God's will was fulfilled:

But before Stade (land of Bremen, since Bremen itself is owned by Hansa) fell, the heir died:

Heinrich, whose name spelt of big riches to Brunswick, died at the hands of a spy, who managed to commit suicide before he was forced to reveal his paymasters.

Frederick, still mourning his son's death, was not in great spirits to fight off the second wave of Genoans that threatened the campaign.
    The first stack of 7 had been defeated just a few months earlier in the fields not very far from Hamburg (the Genoans then fled to their boats and sailed to Pommerania, where rebels destroyed what was left). This army would not suffer the same fate:

It was not until many months later that Stade fell:

leading to more peace, and to a new vassal:

A big sacrifice, to eat 9 of infamy just to have another vassal, but God's new-found will required such a move to weaken the Hansa.

(note: this is my first AAR, hence that little missed event just captured on the log, and the battle of Hamburg, the biggest battle of the War for Hamburg - Genoa's stack of 7 vs my eight full regiments - also not caught on screenshot)
    Last edited by ANO1453; 07-07-2012 at 13:51.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by videonfan View Post
    MPM is my favorite mod.What do you plan on forming.germany?Subscribed
    Forming Westphalia, then Germany

Quote Originally Posted by PdoxNewbie
    Is the infamy cost in the mod reduced to counter-balance the number of provinces added, or is it still 4 to get a province and a minimum of 8 to annex?
    I put up the screenshot for the vassalisation just because of that - it's 9 BB to vassalise without Casus belli. And even with proper casus belli, as you can see, I gobbled up a few badboy for annexing Hamburg. For taking provinces, the BB is 10 and for annexing, BB is 14.
    There are a couple more modifiers to reduce badboy, so if you follow CB's you should be OK (I'll show some MPM modifiers in the next update, and the economic state of the realm).
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Somewhere in the extremely mediocre state of Kansas
    I will be following this.
    AARs:

-A More Imperfect Union [COMPLETE]: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post16196641

-Down South in Dixie [IN PROGRESS] : http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...3#post16954663

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Keep going!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Good good, finally an AAR of this excellent mod! Good luck!
    "The path to knighthood is paved with strength and nobility not LSD and sideburns." - Black Knight

Unexpected events force early moves

This was the mission God gave us, but alas, our manpower is not great right now (you can see in one of the screenshots bellow that it is around 450), and people want to go back to their homes and be with their families. Other countries start to see us as villains. War must rest, for the time being.

We started this update at war with Milan and Siena, the remnants of the war against Hamburg. But the king saw what admitting defeat did to his legitimacy, and he figured it was best to go to Milan and force a white peace on them. Preparations started:

Münster? Gelre? Brabant? Is that the route to Milan?
    Remember when I said that German princes don't like to give passage to anyone? The red dots are the countries that deny us passage, so we planned to go along the orange route:

King Frederick died however, even before Brunswickian armies arrived Münster:

The new king commanded the armies to remain in Brunswick. The new king was not very concerned with Legitimacy, since he had none.

Being a diplomat, he knew it was important to have the support of the military, specially not being a military leader himself:

Thus increasing the military leadership of our country. Two commanders and one admiral (serving only as defender of Hamburg, since our fleet is non-existent), all started out as mere soldiers (aka, all generated by events).

The new king cut land maintenance, and moved the armies to our capital, when he heard news of something happening to the North...
    The Danish fleet attacked the Hanseatic fleet in the Oresund, Hanseatic armies sieged Holstein...

Surely, Sweden had broken off the PU, and somehow, Hansa got involved on the Swedish side.
    Peace would have to wait.

Joachin cancelled military access into the Hansa, and, in the beginning of the next year, 1408 of Our Lord, declared war on Hansa:

Our Dutch allies were busy in a war with Holland, and so only our Junior Partner Mecklenburg answered our Call to Arms. Sweden didn't join this war, probably busy with Denmark, but even if it had joined, Brunswick would not have to fear since their enemy Denmark controls the Straits with their superior fleet.

A bad harvest struck right before the war, and Joachin supported the peasants, knowing he could not afford to have 14 regiments rebel to his recently acquired crown:

Joachin Opp, quickly moved his men into Oldenburg, where the fort was badly manned due to the recent wars and managed to take the city in a matter of days. Oldenburg still had some men left in a nearby country however, and the king did not have the time to fight them off, so it peaced out with in exchange of money.
    The general went back to Brunswick to fight of Magdeburg and Saxe-Lauenburg - leaving a few men behind besieging their provinces. Meckleburg took care of Lauenburg.
    The king realised that there were Danish troops in Lubeck, and that Hanseatic armies would arrive there quickly, it sent Joachin to head there with haste, via Holstein. Danish and Brunswickian fought, side by side, in the Battle of Lübeck:

It should be noted that the great majority of the men were ours, and that we saved the Danish besiegers. Joachin pursued the retreating Hanseatic army into Holstein, there defeating Oskar definitely:

The land was now safe. Mercenaries were disbanded, land maintenance was once again reduced. All we could is to wait:

In the meantime, we pursued several royal marriages, in an attempt to improve the legitimacy of the king:

Poland also offered us an alliance, the king of Zwolle proposed her daughter in marriage, and princes and princesses went off to Denmark and deeper into Germany for foreign courts.

Policy changes were made, towards Land:

Until, finally, Bremen fell:

And Lubeck fell to Denmark, despite our vast numeric superiority. Military leaders are still puzzled on why people defected, though the Bishop of Hannover says people are exhausted from the war effort:

Denmark peaced out with Hansa quickly after the city fell, stripped her of her money (and solving the dilemma I had between taking the money or annexing)

It didn't took long for Joachin to end this war:

and fulfil God's will:

Apparently Christ was poor, and the Hansa was an association of capitalists whose mere existence was an insult to the Christian religion - or so the King of Brunswick told the courts of his neighbours.
    Last edited by ANO1453; 07-07-2012 at 16:28.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Europa Universalis IV

Great!Can you please post a map?Also that event reminds me of some chain events that lead to chaos i have seen in this mod
    Now you can traid easier in Lubeck since it is yours and you have a core right?
    [22:23:51] <Groogy> Mathrim, give it to me gently
    What Crusader Kings 2 makes you say:
    [19:23:43] <Duke> I just need my damn wife to die
    [19:23:48] <Duke> Then I can invade and take their shit

Great!Can you please post a map?Also that event reminds me of some chain events that lead to chaos i have seen in this mod
    I actually took a map of Europe somewhere in between, but this update already had 20 images:

Would you like those F12 maps that show the whole world instead?
    I already have seen a Civil War, a Peasants War and a Regency in Disarray.

Now you can traid easier in Lubeck since it is yours and you have a core right?
    Yes, much more easier. And it's the end of the Hanseatic Trade League.
    I don't fell sorry - I was a member and I had Shrewd Commerce Practices, yet my merchants go consistently kicked out. Apparently people don't like to trade with infamous nations Go figure.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Europa Universalis IV

Interesting development of thhe world.Keep going
    [22:23:51] <Groogy> Mathrim, give it to me gently
    What Crusader Kings 2 makes you say:
    [19:23:43] <Duke> I just need my damn wife to die
    [19:23:48] <Duke> Then I can invade and take their shit

Interesting development of thhe world.Keep going
    Aragon is now part Valencia, part Aragon and part Barcelona (or is it Catalonia?) and Scotland is mostly High Scotland now.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Waiting for The Miracle anubisfike's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

How did you annex your vassal in just 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by anubisfike View Post
    How did you annex your vassal in just 5 years?
    The game starts with Luneburg as a vassal of Brunswick, so I suppose it's something in the history file that has it start before 1399?
    EDIT: Yes, history files start that vassalage in 1388.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I'm not familiar with MPM; what precisely does it change?
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have just begun! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Quote Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
    I'm not familiar with MPM; what precisely does it change?
    New map with a lot more provinces and a significantly different culture setup in Eastern Europe and the Caucasus

New mission system which works more on giving 'logical' missions which take a lot more of context into account though it's not perfect atm

A lot of new decisions for state reforms of various types, with associated events

Generally harder with higher infamy costs and more RR in provinces

Generally better balance sliders and NIs

OE AI is historically scary as hell most of the time

It's a big mod and changes a lot but I'd recommend people try it out, it's one of the better balanced / more challenging mods I've played lately.

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I hadn't heard about MPM before I read this either. I'm a MEIOU fan. But this looks like this could be a very fun AAR to follow if you continue!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Hi

Sorry for the delay - issues with the laptop.

I have screens for another update, but barely anything relevant happened (if we exclude that I have a new heir ), so I want to play some more to collect interesting stuff.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Status of the realm

And this is Brunswick. Still a fairly small country, but much enlarged:

Economically, we are doing well:

Inflation is higher than what would be desirable, but nothing dangerous. We have a small deficit, but now we can compete on Lubeck and, hopefully, bring in some cash!

(and by the way, it does improve our situation, a bit - Lubeck lost 600 ducats of value at the end of the month, with the end of the Hanseatic Trade League):

We considered changing our NI, until we saw it's actually better than we expected,

and that without it, merchants are going to be very scarce:

The people are sick of wars:

And foreign countries look at us with apprehension:

Nevertheless, we are cultural leaders!

Joachin pursues Royal Marriages throughout Europe, in hopes of improving legitimacy:

But our people seem to be the ones most relieved by the joys of Royal Marriages:

With time, our stability level increases:

Despite all the Royal Marriages, the king seems to prefer to have affairs with noblewomen of lesser statute:

And the beauty of the mother did not make the new heir a more capable one:

Our neighbour and vassal, the Bishop of Bremen, was invited to baptise the new born, and, after the wedding, he offered Joachin to interfere on his behalf. Joachin, with a restored treasury, agreed:

(note: this is an MPM event. I confirmed it was actually Bremen, but I don't know who ended up with the money, if Bremen or the Papacy).

We get news from Civil Wars in Ryazan and England:

There are solidarity movements in Holstein and Kassel. Joachin Opp fights some rebels in Holstein, so that the Dukes like us in case Sweden forces Denmark to release Holstein.

The Kassel protesters did not ask for permission, so Joachin Opp went there to demand them a "fee".

Some women never saw their husbands again, but they chose to stay at home after they saw the "fees" demanded by the king.

Our ally, Poland, was in war for a few months when it their messenger arrived:

If you still remember German princes and Military access, you should understand why Brunswick sent a gift to Brandenburg:
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast