• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WankoStankins

General
36 Badges
Jan 25, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
I'm playing a game as the USA trying to prevent the civil war. As far as I can tell once I get past 1867 when the slavery debate modifier ends, I'm in the clear. So I'm not admitting any new states unless their southern ones, as I don't even know if making colonies states provides an advantage. I'm also choosing all conservative issues in election events so that liberals don't get 30 percent and start the CW. I'm trying to get Russia to do the alaskan purchase decision so I looked in the files, and it says that I need the global flag US_civil_war_has_happened or something like that. Can that flag be given if the war is averted? Or do I actually need to purposefully incite a Civil War just so that they'll sell me Alaska. Anyone had a game where you've gotten alaska even without the civil war happening?

Hm, I have never seen a game where the ACW doesn't happen. I wasn't even aware it was possible to avert it.

I tried a bunch of times to avoid it pre-AHD but never could manage. Just wanted to see if it could be done and I couldn't.

in order for a house divided to fire both john browns last raid and the dred scott decision must have fired, also the USA must have slavery.

the slavery debate prevents you form outlawing slavery and it will fire you cant prevent that, if you can manage to outlaw slavery before that even you can avoid the civil war.

John Brown's Raid fires when you have at least 10% liberals in The UH and any free state has a CON of 6

Dred Scott v. Sandford fires when you have at least 10% liberals in The UH and any slave state has a CON of 5

From what i see the house divided event is the only way to remove the slavery debate , and having slavery give you a slew of con raising events, it woud get pretty hard to keep con very low all the way to the end game.

The Slavery Debate does eventually go away though some time in the 1870s, just far too late for you to miss the ACW. The only thing I can think of is 1) Keep liberals out of office, and 2) Keep that CON low. Use naitonal focuses to drum up support for conservatives in northern states (especially New England), whenever an event comes up relating to slavery try to balance the two sides, or favor the slave owners if it comes down to it, and just hope the RNG God favours you today. Problem is you then need to move fast to get Liberals into power to outlaw slavery without accidently also tripping the ACW...

It's not the Southerner politicians that lead to war, but the election of (anti-slavery) liberals in Washington DC. However, it's been my experience that by the time liberals get elected they also have a great following in the South, and when the CSA has its first elections it ends up with a liberal party in power.

Reactions:
Why do LIBERALS lead to the Civil War? The Southerners were certainly NOT liberal, even in the classical sense...
Because the liberals of the time, the Republicans, wanted to outlaw slavery, which to southerners was considered their right and livelihood. It makes sense that if there aren't liberals that are arguing for major change to the southern economy and social structure, then the south wouldn't secede.
EDIT: Dang, emu'd.

In one of my previous US games that I got to 1880's I had outlawed slavery incidentally around 1850. I thought there was still a chance of the ACW happening as I think there were still slave states.

Yeah, if you can outlaw slavery before the Slavery Debate event fires the entire chain derails.

It's a good thing if you're the Union because it lets you end the slavery debate brutally and efficiently. It's a good thing if you want to play as the Confederates because it lets you do just that. It's a good thing if you're an up and coming power in the Americas (or an imperialistic great power from outside the Americas) because it splits the power of the USA, and that split can be made more permanent with some light intervention from you. So it's a good thing all around.

As tensions increase between the states, CSA cores gradually appear in slave states - but that process is somewhat random, so it may affect more or fewer states depending on the date of the civil war and other factors.

Of course, the Civil War is still far too easy to win. Just make your troops non-Dixie and you'll barely have any defections upon ACW trigger, at which point if you've built your military you basically roflstomp the CSA. It may take a couple years but that will be primarily siegeing, not fighting. Though it would be nice to avfert the ACW every once in a while. Would getting reactionaries in powers and turning away from democracy help?

Though it would be nice to avfert the ACW every once in a while. Would getting reactionaries in powers and turning away from democracy help?
The only way to prevent the ACW chain from starting is to abolish slavery before it can start.
You can be as reactionary and undemocratic as possible and the war will still happen if you meet the conditions sarissa mentioned.

ALL: To add to this thread I have followed the following steps CONSISTENTLY, with 10 out of 12 games in the past 6 months to avoid the ACW early on w/i 5 years.

1. At start of game(Paused), immediately set NFs to Bureaucrats in the Following states(as colonial power increases): Florida, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota. Secondly, set max Diplo influence on ALL South American countries, DO NOT ENACT ANY POLITICAL REFORMS. Thirdly, build as many commerce raiders as possible and remember to buy up the steamer convoys(remove the automation) to as much as your budget can handle(play around with Taxes as you see fit to make it work). Lastly, in regards to tech, I focus on increasing Ideological thought, Research pts tech and production. I did not focus too much on Military UNTIL I outlawed slavery. Then its fair game..so you decide.
*What did does is increase the potential Slave states in the USA, and in doing so, increases the Popularity of "Slavery Outlawed" while making the Southern states happy. In Historical sense, your ignoring the Missouri compromise. Preparing

2. start Colonizing Idaho & British Colombia(in that order)
* Keeping GB out of the historical USA is key, IMO, I have tried a mix bag of colonizing Oklahoma, Idaho, British Col. and Colorado without good results. But in my games the constant is that Idaho and BC are best to start with.

3. Bring in ALL NEW STATES as SLAVE STATES!! By this time Item#1 colonies should have enough B-crates to ask for statehood, accept and "EXTEND SLAVERY"
* Again this raises the "SLAVER OUTLAWED" popularity(in the Political tab bottom left) you should notice 1 of 2 things at this point. First, the Pop % to "OUTLAW SLAVERY" should be bet 15-25% or Secondly your Republican\Wig UP % should be at about the same percentage. I have seen a mix of the two in many of my games.

5. Start planing on colonizing Washington State and Oregon.
*By this pt Idaho should be yours by default, accept statehood and "EXTEND SLAVERY". remember you will be pushing your Colonial pts to the 0, so watch them closely. By this point your steamer convoys should have been built and you have more pts to use in colonizing..BUILD MORE as necessary.

4. You should now enter the Mexican-Texas War. I have been able to bring in the item #1 states in BEFORE Texas capitulates to Mexico. Please note, i have tried bother entering the war on the side of TX(status Quo) AND declaring war on Mexico outside of the war( meaning Mexico is now involved in 2 separate wars) as a demand concession(Mexican Texas or another state).
*By this point, Mexico has colonized Colorado and maybe trying to colonize Oregon & Oklahoma. My advise to you is to focus on Washington state to block GB from encroachment into the US mainland. Once Washington state is yours THEN focus on Oregon and OK. When these colonies have the sufficient 1% of Primary or accepted culture POP assign a NF B-crate and turn it into a SLAVE STATE when prompted with the event. Wage the war as you see fit. * As an added bonus, you should enact the Ostend Manifesto to gain cores in Cuba, it will help in the future.

5: WAIT until the Mexican-Texas conflict is over b/c accepting or declaring a victory. If you "pull the trigger' too soon Mexico will continue its war on Texas and win..don't let that happen...be patient. Annex Mexican Texas, accept Texas for statehood as a slave state!!
* By this point you blocked out GB from Washington state, Have started colonizing in OK and Oregon and the Republicans should be in power, the decisions icon is green and you can now outlaw slavery. I have been able to do all of this bet 1838-1841. Dates vary, but only in 2 games did the slavery debate fire almost immediately in 1836. In this case, restart the game.. I hope this helps, if anyone has any other questions on avoiding the ACW or some advice on CSA feel free to reply or send me a PM.

For some reason the war just never happened in my Austria game, no inteference or anything but I think an decision happened that abolished slavery.