• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LuckyNinja

Corporal
78 Badges
Apr 13, 2010
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Hello there, I have a question regarding the occupation rates in the game.

When first reading up on reconnaissance and occupation times I came across this article, but the problem for me is that it doesn't seem to be correct.

I am midway through a second civil war between USA and CSA (playing as the South), and began capturing a US province just as one of mine started being occupied. I had a total of six regiments of infantry attacking the province, while the US sent a single cuirasser. According to that thread the reconnaissance value is cumulative, so my total value should have been 3r. A single cuirasser has a value of 1.5r.

Our fort levels were the same, and upon checking, both of us had the same technologies, yet the single regiment of cuirassers was conquering my province as about 2-3x the rate.

How is the Occupation Rate actually affected then? Is it by the troop with the largest reconnaissance, or is there another factor that I've missed somewhere?

Lucky

I haven't got AHD myself, so things might have changed since last I played, but as far as I know, reconaissance simply isn't cumulative. Which seems to be about correct with your observations, that a Cuirassier with thrice the Recon captures thrice as fast.

From some testing it is my current conclusion that reconnaissance is quantum-locked to function the OPPOSITE to how you believe it works.

After seeing the cuirasser beat my infantry the belief was that the occupation rate was defined by the highest recon value, so I quickly made a custom unit with a reconnaissance of 4. I created four units of them and started capping a territory. At about 40% an 8-regiment strong US army started capping one of mine, biggest recon value 2.5 (cavalry). Same fort level in the provinces. They had CAPTURED the province by the time I got to 90%, meaning that they capped at least 2.5x faster despite having a lower single recon value, which means that reconnaissance is cumulative!

I feel like I'm playing a game of Calvinball.

Recon is cumulative, but with diminishing returns: thus, 6 units of recon 0.5 would not be equal to one of recon 3 but perhaps as low as 2 or even 1.5

Also, I think occupation goes faster when the province in question is your core(which is why retaking provinces from the enemy or rebels is quick)

I do in fact believe calvinhobbeslik is correct about gaining a bonus to occupation speed on land you have cores on. The USA prob still has cores on you, whereas you don't on them most likely. Cores also gives the nice bonus of supply, so they can march MUCH larger armies into your land without suffering attrition, another little fun bonus they get against you.

Also leader traits, or some event modifiers(USA have a lot of them during Civil war) can affect Reconnaissance & Occupation Rates .