Will Paradox ever give CK-2 treatment to older games?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jan 26, 2006
I actually like the whole direction that Paradox has gone with CK2. I was very skeptical at first but they pulled it off very well.

However, it makes me sad that such games like Vic 2, EU3 and HOI3 will basically get left in the dust and not get as much attention as CK2 (yes I know there are expansions planned for these games but it's not the same).

So, Paradox, do you ever plan to do what you're doing with CK2 for the older games? Or will we have to wait for Vic3, Eu4, and HOI4 for such an honor?

—EFT

as far as we know its for new games only. somewhere should be a thread about the new policy.
hoi3 is getting a new expansion so it doesn't make much sense what you are saying.

I actually like the whole direction that Paradox has gone with CK2. I was very skeptical at first but they pulled it off very well.

However, it makes me sad that such games like Vic 2, EU3 and HOI3 will basically get left in the dust and not get as much attention as CK2 (yes I know there are expansions planned for these games but it's not the same).

So, Paradox, do you ever plan to do what you're doing with CK2 for the older games? Or will we have to wait for Vic3, Eu4, and HOI4 for such an honor?

—EFT

Well lets see what we'll git with the next HOI3-Addon.
Normally the goodies from the development of the clausewitz engine will make it into other games aswell, like the Multicore support wich was developed for FTM. So I hope that FTM will get some from the "other games dev time" aswell. The new combat modell that is announced for TFH will imho very likely be a good playing ground for the upcoming "East vs. West" too.. ;)

Then we would have to look at what is possible with not that much work. F.e. can the map of Vicky2/HOI3 be ported to some of the new CKII style? Maybe, but with ease?
It would be a good move to have the CKII engine part wich allows for smaller updates that can run independently also for the other titles, also it would make coding add-ons or modding for this games more easy. And also better to have all on the same patch policy.
As stated the new patch/expansion policy(you can read it up in Johans blog) will only affect new games starting from CKII on, it is not very likely to happen though. Would be still great if they could do it.. :)

Cheers!
Chromos

I do like the way the new launcher is with mods and such.

I'm not sure what you were expecting. Paradox has never gone back and applied a new engine to an old game; the CK2 you cite as an example in fact is not, they would have to have done it to CK1 to count as that. Doing EU4 or Vic 3 would be be equivalent then.

That said, it's not 100% clear what exactly you meant by "the CK2 treatment" ... ? Graphics? Gameplay style? Regular DLC releases?