Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Main Features?

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireIron CrossVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    StarvoidVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Penta2 View Post
    Not as hard as you'd think. The CIA has a very neat publication that I think they've had since 1947 - Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments - which is basically what it says on the tin. It is, I believe, published monthly. A check by PDS with CIA's historical office should reveal whether the publication stretches back far enough.

Where it doesn't, here's a thing: The New York Times considers/considered itself a "paper of record" - and back in the 1950s, at least, that included chronicling every cabinet change in every government in the world. (There were fewer, so it was actually practical to do this on a weekly basis.)
    i love how the CIA seems to record everything. my school libary had a encylopdia shelf of books with CIA books on it, stuff like HOS, GDP for last 50 years, populations, rough ethnic breakdown, religons per country, gdp on military, and all this is on every country updated yearly
    In the future there will only be two workers, a human and a dog. The human's job will be feeding the dog. The dog's job will be making sure the human doesn't touch the computers.

East vs West developer
    CORE Minister of Propaganda
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandRise of Prussia500k club

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod123 View Post
    i love how the CIA seems to record everything. my school libary had a encylopdia shelf of books with CIA books on it, stuff like HOS, GDP for last 50 years, populations, rough ethnic breakdown, religons per country, gdp on military, and all this is on every country updated yearly
    Well I doubt it's 'just' a CIA thing, but rather an Intelligence Agency thing... See the Stasi archives for example.
    CORE Minister of Propaganda

East vs. West softcoding department

Doing my bit for the boys - CORE2 Developer & Beta tester

CORE 0.41 for Armageddon is released! Download it here
    CORE 0.62.8 Open Beta for Arsenal of Democracy is released! Download it here
    The CORE Travel Guide for AoD version 6 is released! Download it here

Yeah, one might wonder what do they need this stuff for. I suspect that they like strategy games and record everything for this purpose.

Why the CIA (or their counterparts) need stuff like the World Factbook (undoubtedly what Nimrod is referring to; the online version is a thing of beauty, to a political science geek anyway): This kind of basic data, sometimes classified, sometimes not (for the record, the World Factbook had a classified edition from 1962 and an unclassified edition from 1972 - no idea if they still produce a classified version) is fairly essential to making sense of other, more traditional, intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybvep View Post
    Yeah, one might wonder what do they need this stuff for. I suspect that they like strategy games and record everything for this purpose.
    Actually, that's not too far from the truth. "Gaming", and especially strategy gaming, at least partially got started in various military establishments throughout the world.
    Of course, those aren't exactly commercially viable games, but they're not supposed to be. "Balance" doesn't really enter in to their thinking, at all.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
    Well I doubt it's 'just' a CIA thing, but rather an Intelligence Agency thing... See the Stasi archives for example.
    Stasi, also known as 'Quasi':

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by jamhaw View Post
    Any hope for POP's and an indepth political system like in Victoria being included?
    Have to echo this, POPs really give the best representation of nations and their differences and a POP-driven game is very dynamic and makes every subsystem of the game fit together in a beutiful way. However, there's lots and lots of research and balance work when you have such an indirect mechanism at the core of the game.
    Raph: 1 Beuraucrat
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: N/A
    Ideology: Communist - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Are you a leftist too? Join the Red Paradoxians!
    Issues: Planned Economy/Full Citizenship
    Current Work: Student
    Cash Reserves: 0
    Revoltrisk: 50%
    Militancy: 5 (+0.15)
    Counsciousness: 10 (+1.00)

I hope they implement in this game cultural or national groups, religion and the population growth number like in Vic 2. What I love from Vic 2 is how your population grows and also the national minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Raph View Post
    Have to echo this, POPs really give the best representation of nations and their differences and a POP-driven game is very dynamic and makes every subsystem of the game fit together in a beutiful way. However, there's lots and lots of research and balance work when you have such an indirect mechanism at the core of the game.
    Honestly, I don't see this game working without POPs in any other way then railroaded scripting we know from early HoIs and EUs. Which is not something anyone wants to comeback to, I hope.

I still think economic model of Vicky 2 is not really appropriate though. Having one big world market with anyone having access to it beats the purpose of important stuff like european common market, OPEC cartel-like agreements, embargoes and such. It's really important to have local markets going (ineffectively, of course) before you switch to the global level. Also, Vicky 2 was very much raw material and volume of production centered - while in Cold War era it's not exactly the same to have japanese TV/car and russian TV/car. Quality and technological level of goods is much more important now then in the XIX century.
    Last edited by Alojzy; 07-07-2012 at 03:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post
    while in Cold War era it's not exactly the same to have japanese TV/car and russian TV/car.
    Yes, a Russian TV may be also used as AK-47.

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireIron CrossVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    StarvoidVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Selenimar View Post
    Yes, a Russian TV may be also used as AK-47.
    yes both provided endless entertainment and also double as great baby sitting devices
    In the future there will only be two workers, a human and a dog. The human's job will be feeding the dog. The dog's job will be making sure the human doesn't touch the computers.

And yet for some reason when the Afghanistan black market poped up, people of the bloc prefered western goods instead of home-made ones. Same with cars and to be fair, anything else.

Quality of the consumer goods was almost as much important factor as the quantity (or rather, constant shortages in case of the bloc).

The game will feature atomic bombs i suppose. Just my bet!

I just hope they will make it so its not something you do to win, but launching them would be the way all players lose the game. Hoping that it's being realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Raph View Post
    Yeah, but i would not advocate on it being the same as Vicky. Thats very complex and the whole engine is based on those POPs, which is great for Vicky but not for other games perhaps. However population should be represented in some way. A stats screen or some pie charts is often good enough. Sliders and decisions could be a wise way of controlling it. And laws to affect them etc. Like communist law of no abroad travelling for example. I guess several below the hood mechanisms would be possible in such an event.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    ImpireMagickaVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

It would be interesting to be able to shift a country's ideology and alliance. Imagine communist America

As usual I'll probably play my first game as Sweden and I really hope there will be a way for me to join either NATO or the Warsaw pact.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandGettysburgHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldStarvoidVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of Nations500k club

Word market, and free trade zones: De difference is - as far as I know - is that while there is a world market, countries can implement tariffs. Countries entering free trade agreement do not use tariffs between them. Also there was embargo, which forbade trading between certain countries.
    I think embargo was already implemented in EU3, and free trade agreements is again not hard to implement. I hope.
    Game Developer East vs West - Softcoding Team / Research Apps. / The Map 1
    Arsenal of Democracy Technical Team Mod2
    Hungarian leaders for HoI2 3 / Hungarian Improvement for HoI34

Yes, but problem with the compatibilty of bloc markets and western markets was not tarrifs-related (well, not mainly), but in the lack of currency reserves.

Trade inside the bloc was based on barter exchange and their currencies were not directly exchangable for the western ones - the official course that allowed you to sell foreign exchange was artificially low, while ability to buy foreign currency was limited by quotas (for example you could buy some small amount when you were going to the western country for the business trip or scientific exchange and such).

It's whole different level of problems to model - it's not Vicky 2, it's post-gold standard era. To buy something on the western markets as a bloc country you need western currency - and to obtain that, you have to sell something in the countries willing to pay in dollar/pound first.

It created a problem with debts as well - bloc countries in significant debt to the western investors (like Poland in 80-ties, after poorly invested loans in 70-ties) had to sell whatever they could and how they could to the countries willing to pay in "real money" to pay their debts.

I'm not really sure how to model world without universally accepted currency (gold) that Vicky had.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

For all intents and purposes you can model the Sino-Soviet sphere as a market separate from the rest - two rarely crossing and self-contained markets. This is one of the reasons it was so important to influence mineral rich or useful countries from the 3rd world - exclusivity of rare resources for your superpower bloc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiresais View Post
    For all intents and purposes you can model the Sino-Soviet sphere as a market separate from the rest - two rarely crossing and self-contained markets. This is one of the reasons it was so important to influence mineral rich or useful countries from the 3rd world - exclusivity of rare resources for your superpower bloc.
    Not so much for soviet bloc, though. What they needed was not the rare resources, but first technologies and advanced machinery, then when their economy started to fall fulltime, also as basic stuff as food (at some point, USSR started to rely more and more on grain from USA and Argentina). Lucky for them, oil crisis hit at that point western economies hard and selling crude oil to the Western Europe gave USSR decent hard currency income.

I like two world markets system idea though, with only limited exchange between them - it might be sort of simplified simulation of fully exchangable currency vs. internally regulated currencies of the eastern bloc.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post
    Not so much for soviet bloc, though. What they needed was not the rare resources, but first technologies and advanced machinery, then when their economy started to fall fulltime, also as basic stuff as food (at some point, USSR started to rely more and more on grain from USA and Argentina). Lucky for them, oil crisis hit at that point western economies hard and selling crude oil to the Western Europe gave USSR decent hard currency income.

I like two world markets system idea though, with only limited exchange between them - it might be sort of simplified simulation of fully exchangable currency vs. internally regulated currencies of the eastern bloc.
    Remember they both considered this a zero-sum game - any resources the Soviets could restrict would lead to the downfall of Capitalism in the long-run (Stalin was a very long-term thinker in the views of the Long Telegram)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast