Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: East vs. West - A Hearts of Iron Game!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Quigleone View Post
    Will there be an alternate history scenario where Nazi Germany beat the Soviet Union, and there's a Germany vs. US Cold War?

Or maybe a Germany vs. Japan cold war...

Or Germany vs. Japan vs. USA? Oh the possibilities...
    I think you're highly mistaken in believing that any war with the Third Reich would be "cold". Nuclear weapons or no nuclear weapons, that war would be, most assuredly, "hot".

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandGettysburgHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldStarvoidVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of Nations500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Taiisatai64 View Post
    I think you're highly mistaken in believing that any war with the Third Reich would be "cold". Nuclear weapons or no nuclear weapons, that war would be, most assuredly, "hot".
    Why would it be? The USA would be content in its isolation, while Europe + Asia + Africa would happily cheer the benevolent and wise leadership of the Reich
    Game Developer East vs West - Softcoding Team / Research Apps. / The Map 1
    Arsenal of Democracy Technical Team Mod2
    Hungarian leaders for HoI2 3 / Hungarian Improvement for HoI34

Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by kunadam View Post
    Why would it be? The USA would be content in its isolation, while Europe + Asia + Africa would happily cheer the benevolent and wise leadership of the Reich
    Ah yes, I see what you did there

I hope Che Guevara will be playable as in game character and that i can stage coups with him!

Revolutione! Siempre!

Awesome.
    Arsenal of Democracy - What HoI2 should have been, and now is.

'God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.' - Voltaire

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossThe Kings CrusadeEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Depending on the alternative timeline of course but I think that a US-German Cold War would be between a European bloc (probably excluding the UK) bounded by the Urals and Caucasus, and probably with a highly contested Middle East. Japan was dead meat. And China would probably have been the Republic of China, and sought after by both sides. As for a Japanese victory... I thought this was alternative history not tales of delusion!
    Revanche, A French AAR of The Great War (1914-1919) (Finished, Weekly AAR Showcase, 9th Jan '06)

President Petrov Basil Ivanovich of Kraszakistan (KLD)

What if Germany had won the Great War? Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandGettysburgHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldStarvoidVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of Nations500k club

Depends of what it means for Japan to win. Winning against the USA is tale of delusion. But if Japan would have been content with attacking the USSR and China... that would mean a Japaneese hegemony in the far east.
    Game Developer East vs West - Softcoding Team / Research Apps. / The Map 1
    Arsenal of Democracy Technical Team Mod2
    Hungarian leaders for HoI2 3 / Hungarian Improvement for HoI34

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    Depending on the alternative timeline of course but I think that a US-German Cold War would be between a European bloc (probably excluding the UK) bounded by the Urals and Caucasus, and probably with a highly contested Middle East. Japan was dead meat. And China would probably have been the Republic of China, and sought after by both sides. As for a Japanese victory... I thought this was alternative history not tales of delusion!
    I will reffer to the fitting movie "Wargames".

The only way Japan can win is to not play, but it can win
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - Patton

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Finally! i always wanted a more modern paradox grand strategy game would be like

Sweet!!!!!!size=5][/size]

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

According to Adolf's dream for the New World Order, there indeed would be no hot war in the Americas, at least not in his lifetime. In his words, "an invasion of the Western-Hemisphere is about as fantastic as an invasion of the moon." He wanted to keep the US out of German affairs until the Reich had secured an extended power-base, greater manpower, and an alliance with Great Britain (however deluded that vision may be). I for one, believe that the Cold War would boil down to a stalemate of nearly constant aggression similar to 1984, had the 3rdReich prevailed.

A 3rdReich/GEACPS/USA mod for this game (once it is released) would likely be awesome. I envision that the point of divergence would start in the USA not joining the war soon enough, resulting in an unchanging trans-Atlantic conflict between Germany and the USA/UK. Once the middle east is reached, as well as Siberia, conflict would brew between Japan and the Reich as the Germans realize how weak and fractured Japan's rule in China is, and the Japanese begin to feel threatened as the Reich demands more from them. The goal of the game would be to either win the war faster than your opponents (and yourself) can develop and utilize advanced nuclear arms, or maneuver around political aims and diplomatic barriers to obtain a lasting peace before the world is slowly choked to death by irradiated clouds and burning cities. Rather than starting off cold and escalating into a hot war, you would start hot and try to cool things off before they became too dangerous.

Moving into dangerous territory here...

Quote Originally Posted by Sincleric View Post
    According to Adolf's dream for the New World Order, there indeed would be no hot war in the Americas, at least not in his lifetime. In his words, "an invasion of the Western-Hemisphere is about as fantastic as an invasion of the moon." He wanted to keep the US out of German affairs until the Reich had secured an extended power-base, greater manpower, and an alliance with Great Britain (however deluded that vision may be). I for one, believe that the Cold War would boil down to a stalemate of nearly constant aggression similar to 1984, had the 3rdReich prevailed.

A 3rdReich/GEACPS/USA mod for this game (once it is released) would likely be awesome. I envision that the point of divergence would start in the USA not joining the war soon enough, resulting in an unchanging trans-Atlantic conflict between Germany and the USA/UK. Once the middle east is reached, as well as Siberia, conflict would brew between Japan and the Reich as the Germans realize how weak and fractured Japan's rule in China is, and the Japanese begin to feel threatened as the Reich demands more from them. The goal of the game would be to either win the war faster than your opponents (and yourself) can develop and utilize advanced nuclear arms, or maneuver around political aims and diplomatic barriers to obtain a lasting peace before the world is slowly choked to death by irradiated clouds and burning cities. Rather than starting off cold and escalating into a hot war, you would start hot and try to cool things off before they became too dangerous.
    You should watch the movie "Fatherland" from 1994 it shows the situation quite well. I would link to a video on Youtube but it includes swastikas, just search on YT for "Fatherland intro".

Where do I pre-order?
    Earth Needs You!
    OPERATION BLUE DANUBE, (It's still a thing)

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Taiisatai64 View Post
    Moving into dangerous territory here...
    You have no idea how long I spent editing my post so that it didn't prompt any movement in that direction.

But if you must know, [STATEMENT REDACTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord123 View Post
    You should watch the movie "Fatherland" from 1994 it shows the situation quite well. I would link to a video on Youtube but it includes swastikas, just search on YT for "Fatherland intro".
    I've seen it. I didn't like some parts, liked some others. Overall a good film for those interested in plausible alternate histories and timeline stuff. In other news, vague statements are vague.

Just don make this game into a USA bs U.S.S.R game with any other nation eing boring as hell.Gotta love playing as Greece since ill start in the middle of a civil war

Sergeant
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Sincleric View Post
    According to Adolf's dream for the New World Order, there indeed would be no hot war in the Americas, at least not in his lifetime. In his words, "an invasion of the Western-Hemisphere is about as fantastic as an invasion of the moon." He wanted to keep the US out of German affairs until the Reich had secured an extended power-base, greater manpower, and an alliance with Great Britain (however deluded that vision may be).
    Not really an expert of the subject, but wasn't Adolf a bit inconsistent about Germany's future plans? If I'm not uncorrect, after the victory over France and the successful beginning of the campaing in Russia he began to think that it was possible to defeat also the USA in his lifetime... Then, after 1942, he changed his mind again.

Just to say it's hard to imagine the world if the III reich had prevailed. But I agree that a "fatherland" mod would be quite interesting!

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty II Collection
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

This is awesome, there are not a whole lot of cold war games. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
    Nationality: Human
    Religion: The philosophy of Humanism
    Ideology: Anarcho-Communism/Left-Libertarian
    Issues: Anti-Nationalism, Syndicalism (Industrial Democracy), Decentralisation, Anti-militarism, Proletarian internationalism
    "Workers of the World, Unite!"

When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman? - John Bell
    Signed up as Italy for the EvsW Release day multilayer game.

Well, I was just lurking through the forums when I saw this. Nice to see Paradox developing in conjuction with another dev a Cold War game.
    As I am from Argentina, I have an special interest in the period the game is set.

After reading the whole thread, I only have 2 doubts:
    1-How will the world's economics be represented in the game? (Abstract IC's like in HOI? Individual factories like in S.Ruler/Victoria? How would you differentiate the production and financial system? Will be Inflation present in the game?)

2-How would 3rd Wolrd Countries (As per Ideological classification, not economical) be represented? As with any Paradox game that allows history to diverge from real world results, It would be extremely neat to avoid having coup d'etats in Argentina while at the same time eliminating any communist influence.

PS: How do I register games? I have had since a long time EU3+NA (retail package) in my shelf, will the code on the reverse of the case work here?

EDIT:
    little in the way of guerilla warfare (i am pretty sure that with the HoI3-way of doing things, throwing large amounts of americans at the VC solves the problem within a month)
    LOL. I have always thought the same. Specially in mods where you have to deal with colonial uprisings: Build a huge fleet of transports in less than 3 months -> Load all your troops -> Doom for anything that stands in your way. Like....to fight against 8 Rebel Militia Divisions with 20 tank divisions in Kaiserreich is a little bit too cheap.

I believe that if the player has a democratic goverment...he has to submit a vote to the congress while having a Casus Belli (Embargo, territorial recuperation, etc etc)
    Last edited by merce_AR; 07-07-2012 at 22:52.

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast