• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The minimum speed is agonizingly slow -- even if you were doing something else simultaneously, I can't think of what could possibly require that much pausing.

What could you possibly be doing to feel such a need?

I like to micro-manage :) That's how I play these games. I also like to follow all the goings-on across the map - all the various character interactions and wars both major and minor, even when I'm just playing a lowly count. The current minimum speed is OK for that, although it could be a tad slower.

I remember a thread a while back (before we lost the old minimum speed) where people were saying what speed they were playing at. I was amazed to be honest. I expected most people would be playing at 1. I find it hard to understand how people could feel they were getting much out of the game at all playing faster than that and yet that's how a lot of people are playing apparently. They must be after a different experience. That's the only explanation.

When I'm playing a large-ish empire though, as I have been lately, especially when I get in a situation where I have several wars on the go with all the troop and fleet movements to coordinate and the AI armies to keep an eye on in every corner of the map the current minimum speed is just unworkable. For one thing I've had to set army arrivals as an important notification so I don't lose track of any of them and, to give you an idea, in my last session I was averaging between one and three important notifications a day over a period of two in-game months.

We can count at least 3 forum participants (including me) who require old slow speed ( before 1.5 patch). So they must to make immidiate hotfiks or at least include this slow speed in next patch.

Interesting to see the different play styles as reflected in desired speed in this thread. Great to see how many different ways CKII can be enjoyed.

Personally think playing at 1 is akin to being tortured with burning molasses dripping on your sunburned scalp. But that's just me :eek:o

Interesting to see the different play styles as reflected in desired speed in this thread. Great to see how many different ways CKII can be enjoyed.

Personally think playing at 1 is akin to being tortured with burning molasses dripping on your sunburned scalp. But that's just me :eek:o

I agree. The only time I play on speed 1 is the watch huge battles play out. Besides that it takes forever for anything to happen.

I play speed 2 mostly, I find anything faster feels wierd. However most paradox games i play on speed 3/4. Used to play with 5 but with my new computer Vic2 and Hoi3 just go too fast.

I like things to take a while, like being able to invite people to a plot and while i'm choosing the next person the previous is replying to me. I find it helps my own mental machinations.

I play almost always on speed 1 too! Well sometimes on 2 when there's not really that much happening. Only real exception is for the first 3-5 years of a new campaign, after the initial "20min pause to set it all up" phase. This is where I *might* go up to 3, sometimes even 4 inbetween the odd pause to just look around for what else is happening in the world. Never used 5 though IIRC.
In wars I play on "speed 0.1", always: pause -> direct armies/navies -> unpause -> check arrival dates -> add in several pauses/unpauses to adjust for AI movements -> unpause -> pause after battles -> repeat until the war is won. Oddly enough I didn't even notice they upped the speed a bit, probably because I use space so much. :)

I played my first game through, beginning to end on speed 1 with the odd foray in to speed 2 when I was waiting for something specific to happen. I did it because I liked watching everything, planning things without having to pause all the time, and because it helped me deal with the AIs perfect timing for army movement when I was at war. Nothing worse than losing a army to one you could have escaped if you were faster off the mark.

My second playthrough using the DLC, and I've migrated to speed 2 (which is really speed 3) as my default. I'm enjoying it still, but I don't feel the attachment to my characters that I did the first time around. They're gone before I get to know them.

I'm always on Speed 1, unless I'm waiting for something to happen or just bored with the current situation.

I also usually follow major dynasties like the Jimena and Capet though.