• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Paul Roberts

Captain
77 Badges
Mar 7, 2001
Visit site
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Pride of Nations
I've just started playing CK2 (I have SoI installed, no mods), and I'm really loving it. However, I've run into some questions:

1) It looks like the rulers of southern Italian regions (plus Sicily) are classified as Normans. They all have names like William and Geoffrey. This is as true with a late-scenario start as it is from day one. This can't be WAD, can it?

2) In early game starts, the Duke of Flanders owes allegiance to the King of France, but his laws (such as changing rules of succession) are determined by the crown authority policies of the HRE. Is this WAD? I do notice that Flanders is covered by the HRE in the "De Jure Empires" map filter, but his liege is definitely France.

1Southern Italy and Sicily was inhabited by Normans in this time-period so that is quite accurate.
2 ???

2) is definitely WAD -- your crown laws are determined by your De Jure liege, not De Facto liege.

1) is...probably not WAD, but I don't know that much about the history of Sicily. I know it was Norman through most of the game's time period, though.

1. Well, as people have mentioned the Normans under the d'Hauteville line did conquer and form the kingdom of Sicily, which then remained in their hands until the inheritance of Friedrich II (of the German Hohenstaufen line) if I recall correctly and then to the d'Anjou branch of the Capets, which is all in the game if you flip through the years, so it goes Norman-German-Frankish, at least in my game.

2. This is a gameplay thing - difference between de-jure and de-facto vassals.

The thing that could be considered inacurate about the Normans is that they don't have Norman names, but the English version of their names.

The thing that could be considered inacurate about the Normans is that they don't have Norman names, but the English version of their names.

How are the names in Norman? I wish to have any source with Old Norman or Norman names... Is this list okay?

emu'd :(

But it's intended and there's a good reason for that. The reason being that... well... normans ruled England. They've been given english names so that when William takes over England, both he and his prodigy have English names. In other words, no, normans are not supposed to have english names but it's the lesser of two evils (the other one being english monarchs with wrong names).

Its sort of sad that I find lame that someone would be surprised by Norman control over the Sicilies in the Middles Ages. Not that this level of ignorance should be seen as a good thing, but because I have to admit, typing a strong rebuttal on this topic while continuing to ignore the fact that half my whole extended friend network hasnt got the faintest clue about the basics of modern domestic politics is pretty darn silly and counterproductive.

So in short, no, its not a bug, its perfectly reflective of reality. And I wont tell you to learn your history, either. Best to prioritize modern reality... But once/if thats done, the fine points of history are sure a fun extra to look at :) Norman control over the Sicilies had HUGE historical impact, and may well be the pivotal reason why the Holy Roman Empire ultimately lost it's grasp on it's native cradle of Italy. It's not a point to be glossed over!

The Flanders thing is wrong since Flanders should really be in de jure France like it was in the original build. The Frisians never went as far as Flanders which was always one of the most important bits of France until the Burgundian inheritance after the game's time frame.