• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(98307)

Second Lieutenant
Apr 22, 2008
H1N1 - The Killer Flu (A Modern Day/Apocalyptic Modification)​
swine-flu-h1n1.jpg

March 2009, Mexico
A strange respiratory illness appears in the small town of La Gloria, Veracruz. Unofficial accounts have reported an infection rate of over 80% in the village located in the State of Veracruz. Meanwhile, reports about an unusual high activity of influenza cases have appeared in the United States. No deaths have been reported yet, and the general population is suspicious of the apocalyptic preparations the World Health Organisation, supported by the pharmaceutical industry, pushes for.

Yet, nobody could anticipate the unprecedented humanitarian disaster that would ensue.

We all have experienced the so called '2009 Swine Flu pandemic', which danger was highly exaggerated. But what if the expectation by the WHO were right? What if the 'Swine Flu' successfully mutated to a lethal form, while keeping its infectious status? What if the resulting disease would sweep away whole cities and might end the world, even before the date of December 20, 2012 comes near?

What this Modification will offer:
*Set in a Modern Day World - This includes techs, borders, countries & leader/ministers.
*Organisations which appear as 'countries' and will play a major role. These will include the WHO (World Health Organisation) & The Pharmaceutical Industry.
*Unique decision system, which includes the amount of power you want to give to the previously described organisations, but also offer you different options regarding the tackling of the disease. Will you introduce curfews, burn the dead bodies, or completely isolate your country?
*Countries will apply realpolitik, when the world has ensued in chaos. Countries which fail to contain the disease, will fall to uprising, or might have an 'international intervention'. Neighbors which have completely fallen to the disease, might need to unificate to survive. Countries which have successfully endured the crisis, might expand their influence. Old rivalries will be fought, when the world can't condemn them.
*Each game will offer you a different scenario, depending on the measurements the different countries will take, but also on the mutations the virus will go through.

More details, including screenshots and a alpha version, will come Very Soon!
You might want to have some flu masks at home in the meantime, though..

Better merge this with Modern Day Scenario. No reason to create a whole new mod for just a few events, when you can combine efforts with an ongoing project.

OMG EPIC Idea!!!

I study pharmacy, so any scientific help you can count on me ;)
NICE! I have no medical-scientific knowledge at all, except for google & wikipedia. :rolleyes:

Better merge this with Modern Day Scenario. No reason to create a whole new mod for just a few events, when you can combine efforts with an ongoing project.
Hmm. I have followed that project, and I don't like the direction it's heading. It seems like they are porting the old one to DH. The old one was flawed in my eyes (although the fundaments of a modern world were nicely laid down in that mod) and the storyline in my mod really revolves around an apocalypse.

there should also be aids, cancer, and many other diseases too
Maybe in the future, maybe in the future. ^^

Seems quite ambitious... I hope you have the modding skillz to go through :D
It's a very interesting idea, so I'll be following, even though I don't even have DH.
Welcome on board then!

You know what? Since I'm also working on a MDS scenario based on social collapse, would it be nice if these projects merge?
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. We could make a standard modern world (ministers, techs(team)etc) from where we can develop our scenarios! I'll send you a PM

Very unique idea. I'll be watching this one :)

I would love to see a Zombie mod along the lines of World War Z. It would probably be simple, just 1000s of rebel militias spawning everywhere....But alas, my modding skills amount to nothing more than tinkering with the Misc. file :(

IIRC, these are "markers" which act as trigger conditions for events and are activated by events. See this.

Ah ok. But for example if a X country gets some infected people, how will the engine simulate that the Y country, that is close to the X country will have major probability of having the virus too ?

Some screens of some very early work (Bound to have some changes):

3.PNG

One of the many possibilities to 'contain' the disease.. or an attempt to declare a dictatorship under the circumstances :happy: (Other possibilities include: Closing schools/transport systems/stock exchange/hospital/publicareas, curfews, burning of dead bodies, raise public awareness, raise medical level, stockpile medicine etc - depending on the 'rate of infection'-system)

2.PNG

A new entity - The Pharmaceutical Industry - (No flags created yet). This entity is responsible for the development of vaccines and medicines. They are dependent on the amount of (IC) support they get from the world, and the creation of a vaccine will take some time - some countries might be declared 'forsaken' already. They also decide at what cost and where the limited supplies of medication and vaccines go to.. and they might have a different agenda than a humanitarian one. The disease will be responsible for many deaths, but this entity and its policies might be responsible for more deaths - by sparking a war here and there.

1.PNG

Already my favourite flavour event :wub: