• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General Baker

Lt. General
73 Badges
Jun 22, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Cities in Motion
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • The Showdown Effect
Hi all,

As is the case with other paradox games I've played, I assumed CK2 would also have a mechanic to add on additional 'war goals' if the going was good. I ask this, because I've encountered numerous scenarios where I could confront a foe over multitude of casus belli, but could only fight towards a single one, followed by a long truce. It would seem obvious to me to be able to add more goals to the war as things went on; is it possible that I'm just blind and haven't seen the option, or is there no such functionality.

And if the latter, would you agree that it'd be a worthwhile addition to the feature set?

Cheers,
JB

I agree with you 100% (you must be referring to Victoria II right?) with the war goals. It is quite annoying especially with challenging nations.

Anyway to answer your question AFAIK you cannot add war goals.

However if you have multiple claims you could try asking the pope permission for an invasion (costs you 500 piety + good relations) and it will feel like a holy war cb, that is you must occupy the places you want before sue for peace/before transferred to you.

it is not possible, and no, it also shouldnt be there. otherwise things would become waaaaaaaaaay too easy. if i have a de jure claim on 40 counties and i can press them all that would cripple smaller nations.

Exactly, @Culinia :p

And I disagree, @grumphie. It could be made difficult to add additional wargoals to a war, or perhaps there could be a limit on the number of additional war goals that could be added. Or perhaps it could negatively impact your prestige/piety/others opinions of you if you added more wargoals, justified as 'exploiting your standings'? It just seems very game-like that there's no flexibility.

That would be my one *real* request for the next patch, that would truly affect gameplay.

I'd especially like to see the option to add war goals during defensive wars. If a guy that I have a claim on declares war on me, and I manage a complete victory over him, I'm going to wait until our truce is up to push my own claim? Yeah, no. If I have a claim on his title and I occupy his capital and have him in prison, his title is mine.

I'd especially like to see the option to add war goals during defensive wars. If a guy that I have a claim on declares war on me, and I manage a complete victory over him, I'm going to wait until our truce is up to push my own claim? Yeah, no. If I have a claim on his title and I occupy his capital and have him in prison, his title is mine.

The truce does not prevent you from declaring against him when you win the defensive war.

it is not possible, and no, it also shouldnt be there. otherwise things would become waaaaaaaaaay too easy. if i have a de jure claim on 40 counties and i can press them all that would cripple smaller nations.

True but going county by county with wars that last a decade, take 50 battles and tens of thousands of lives is a bit too extreme.

You can 'press all claims' if you have more than 1 personal claim, but De Jure claims must be pressed piece by piece.

Paradox have said multiple times that they have disliked the pace at which a competent player can expand in prior Paradox games. The "one-country-at-a-time" thing was specifically designed to mitigate this, and slowing expansion has been a major design goal throughout the process of CK II's ongoing development. So arguments that "Oh, it wouldn't help the player that much" are likely to fall on deaf ears.

Personally if I was a Paradox dev I would take reassurances that this wouldn't boost player expansion greatly with a grain of salt in light of how often the feature is requested...

I have no problem with this, either get more personal claims or like in my last game in North Africa, hit the east neighbour, hit the west neighbour and then over the seas to the North. Easy!