+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding war goals

Lord High Admiral General Baker's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Adding war goals

Hi all,

As is the case with other paradox games I've played, I assumed CK2 would also have a mechanic to add on additional 'war goals' if the going was good. I ask this, because I've encountered numerous scenarios where I could confront a foe over multitude of casus belli, but could only fight towards a single one, followed by a long truce. It would seem obvious to me to be able to add more goals to the war as things went on; is it possible that I'm just blind and haven't seen the option, or is there no such functionality.

And if the latter, would you agree that it'd be a worthwhile addition to the feature set?

Cheers,
    JB

Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

I agree with you 100% (you must be referring to Victoria II right?) with the war goals. It is quite annoying especially with challenging nations.

Anyway to answer your question AFAIK you cannot add war goals.

However if you have multiple claims you could try asking the pope permission for an invasion (costs you 500 piety + good relations) and it will feel like a holy war cb, that is you must occupy the places you want before sue for peace/before transferred to you.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    it is not possible, and no, it also shouldnt be there. otherwise things would become waaaaaaaaaay too easy. if i have a de jure claim on 40 counties and i can press them all that would cripple smaller nations.

Lord High Admiral General Baker's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Exactly, @Culinia :P

And I disagree, @grumphie. It could be made difficult to add additional wargoals to a war, or perhaps there could be a limit on the number of additional war goals that could be added. Or perhaps it could negatively impact your prestige/piety/others opinions of you if you added more wargoals, justified as 'exploiting your standings'? It just seems very game-like that there's no flexibility.

That would be my one *real* request for the next patch, that would truly affect gameplay.

I'd especially like to see the option to add war goals during defensive wars. If a guy that I have a claim on declares war on me, and I manage a complete victory over him, I'm going to wait until our truce is up to push my own claim? Yeah, no. If I have a claim on his title and I occupy his capital and have him in prison, his title is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ziamatt View Post
    I'd especially like to see the option to add war goals during defensive wars. If a guy that I have a claim on declares war on me, and I manage a complete victory over him, I'm going to wait until our truce is up to push my own claim? Yeah, no. If I have a claim on his title and I occupy his capital and have him in prison, his title is mine.
    The truce does not prevent you from declaring against him when you win the defensive war.

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grumphie View Post
    it is not possible, and no, it also shouldnt be there. otherwise things would become waaaaaaaaaay too easy. if i have a de jure claim on 40 counties and i can press them all that would cripple smaller nations.
    True but going county by county with wars that last a decade, take 50 battles and tens of thousands of lives is a bit too extreme.
    CK2 Succession Survival Guide
    CK2 Book of Tips (46 and counting)
    CK2 suggestions of fixes and improvements (63 and counting)

CK2 AARs:
    Dominus Regni Poloniae (8 Feb 1296 Duchy of Greater Poland, finished)
    Lives of the Saints (Various times and places, single-character games)
    Land's End (A tale from Tintagel)
    CEO, EMEA (Guess what)

You can 'press all claims' if you have more than 1 personal claim, but De Jure claims must be pressed piece by piece.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Paradox have said multiple times that they have disliked the pace at which a competent player can expand in prior Paradox games. The "one-country-at-a-time" thing was specifically designed to mitigate this, and slowing expansion has been a major design goal throughout the process of CK II's ongoing development. So arguments that "Oh, it wouldn't help the player that much" are likely to fall on deaf ears.

Personally if I was a Paradox dev I would take reassurances that this wouldn't boost player expansion greatly with a grain of salt in light of how often the feature is requested...

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

I have no problem with this, either get more personal claims or like in my last game in North Africa, hit the east neighbour, hit the west neighbour and then over the seas to the North. Easy!

+ Reply to Thread