Just fix the bugs.
My friends and I can no longer play this game because of the horribly buggy Adventure mode. Every time we get near the end of a level, we get SOMETHING that forces us to restart, losing all progress in the level thanks to the brilliant save system. The latest flavor of bug has been an apparent loss of connection. On my screen, my friend isn't moving, and vice-versa, though we still see monsters die. If his stationary body dies on my screen along with me, it will restart for both of us as if defeated even though he's moving around on his own screen.
This is just one example of a bug in this famously glitchy game. It's a great concept, but a game should never be released when it's so obviously not ready for release.
Before you add all the DLC, maybe you should focus on making the base game work properly. Until then, the four of us will be wrestling with Steam to get our money back and warning all of our friends to avoid Paradox. :/
Hello guys at Paradox, I thought about opening a thread to list all bugs and glitches of sorts that I noticed while playing so that you might give a look at it and maybe fix it with the next patch, but then I saw that this thread was already opened.
This is what I noticed:
- At the beginning of Chapter 12, when you have to fight Vlad again, if Vlad isn't killed quickly enough he can run away and disappear at the bottom of the screen, starting a cinematic that freezes the game
- I'm not sure if this is an actual bug, but if it's not I don't understand why it's so: when the Warlock is defeated, the King gets up from the throne and passes through the Warlock as lightnings radiates from his body. At first I thought that the King made somehow the Warlock explode, but then I realized that it looked more like the King was supposed to push the Warlock into the trap opening at the bottom of the stairs in the middle of the room. Problems with the animation maybe?
- Some cinematics offer the option to skip by pushing the space bar like many others, but they won't actually skip. Some of these are the ones before and after the fight with The Machine, Khan and Fafnir.
- in Chapter 9, right at the end of Area 1, I killed all the Skeleton Soldiers summoned by the Necromancer, but the game did not allow me to proceed to Area 2. I quit the game and tried again, and it seemed that I had run into the same problem, then I noticed that there was one last zombie that wasn't attacking me or doing anything, just standing still in the mud where it was difficult to see it. I killed it and then I was able to proceed. You might want to check why the zombie doesn't move, or if sometimes the game doesn't allow the player to proceed despite having killed everyone on screen.
After buying this game yesterday....
Yeh, there are a lot of bugs in this game.
Like Anonymous84 said: The lost connection issue got my gf and I after we played for about 5 minutes.
Bugs I noticed:
Level 1 - After coming out of the tutorial dungeon, if you try to exit through the top right of the party room(door you come through before dungeon), you get stuck.
Level 5 - Sometimes when you die when fighting Kahn, the game gets stuck (no respawn).
- If you kill Khan when he is frozen, the cut scene fails ( actually seen a couple of people complaining about this on youtube).
Those are the ones i can give good information about.
A really simple work around for half of these bugs: just add "Restart from last checkpoint" to the menu!
I'll also add one, while fighting Grimnir. First part the mind duel, right at the beginning fighting the 4 goblin guys. I killed the last one when we crossed beams and he exploded, and nothing happened. The game did not transport me to the next islands, and i finally had to exit and reload the game to continue.
Hi, I was considering buying this game but now, reading this thread I am kind of confused. There seems to be quite a few bugs left and the last patch is dated from late 2011.
So my questions are as follow: are the bugs listed above really minor, and if not is the game still supported, apart from releasing new DLCs?
Thanks for any answer.
Angel, it seems to be somewhat of a crap shoot. Some people never have any big problems, some do. I haven't had any major ones myself for quite some time now. This game is a memory hog, having it in surplus really helps and sometimes this means you have to run the game in 1024x768 with your video card's texture filtering set to performance, but at least it works. Magicka is a good game, so I'd give the demo a try. It has a fairly recent version so, chances are if you can run the demo, you can run the full game.
I cannot find a working link for the demo, but thank you for your answer, I will keep searching.
The demo is on Steam. It's a Steam only game as far as I know.
Last edited by targetbsp; 17-07-2012 at 13:28.
There still are a few bugs here and there, which can cause some annoyances.
I don't have major issues though now that the game is patched, its certainly playable! This game ranks in one of my top favourites due to how fun it is, and the design philosophy behind it.
As the others have said, try the demo first!
I see it is also on Gamersgate. Is it necessary to have an account on Steam to activate it even if you buy it on Gamersgate?
Originally Posted by targetbsp
Thank you, I will definitely give the demo a try.
Originally Posted by BobT36
Magicka is a Steam game. Gamersgate will provide you with a code which you must activate on steam if you buy it through them.
Originally Posted by Third Angel
So yeah: if you want to play Magicka you must have a Steam account. Steam is free and you don't have to have it start automatically if you don't want it to. But I understand some people dislike it / prefer not to use it.
Unfortunately in this case your choice is not merely "to Steam or not to Steam" but "to Steam and Magicka or no Magicka at all, alas and alack, et cetera, ad nausium".
Ok, I am posting here one last time just so you know I am not being rude or ignoring you, but I am having almost the same discussion here where I feel it is more suited, to let this thread be about fixing bugs like the title says.
Would be nice to see them fix some of the game breaking bugs before trying to peddle more DLC.
Please list. :S
ALL of the "game breaking" ones I knew of have now been fixed. Magicka is certainly very playable now.
Still a couple of annoying smaller bugs here and there but haven't had a crash, lockup or been able to proceed in ages.
I played through the campaign twice and did not notice any bugs. I think those peopel who are playing the campaign with others online are mostly experienceing lag issues. Do the campaign single player and save online play for the challenges and verses games.
My only compalint is that everyone online seems to lock their games. Very unsocial.
I've tried playing the campaigns with friends and we can barely get through a chapter without one or more of us crashing. Most of the Versus and Challenge modes work fine, at least.