+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this the worst marketing-campaign ever?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Majesty 2Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

Is this the worst marketing-campaign ever?

Take C.A. for example. Every other year a new Total War installment comes out. The game is announced half-way through development. New information is fed to the customer in precisely calculated patterns, in order to keep fan interest high at all times.

Now wtf is this? Whoever is in charge of PR should be fired on the spot. Announce the game when you have something to show. My initial interest was through the roof. I bought the original Syndicate for the Commodore Amiga when it was awarded game of the month in my favourite gaming magazine. I still play it today occasionally. This game is god. By now, my interest in Cartel has diminished drastically.
    You can judge the cleanliness of a restaurant kitchen based on the bathrooms, they say. I hope you can't judge a game's quality based on its marketing campaign...

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by seattle View Post
    Take C.A. for example. Every other year a new Total War installment comes out. The game is announced half-way through development. New information is fed to the customer in precisely calculated patterns, in order to keep fan interest high at all times.

Now wtf is this? Whoever is in charge of PR should be fired on the spot. Announce the game when you have something to show. My initial interest was through the roof. I bought the original Syndicate for the Commodore Amiga when it was awarded game of the month in my favourite gaming magazine. I still play it today occasionally. This game is god. By now, my interest in Cartel has diminished drastically.
    You can judge the cleanliness of a restaurant kitchen based on the bathrooms, they say. I hope you can't judge a game's quality based on its marketing campaign...
    Yeah, I have started to suspect that what they told RPS was a mistake. From what little I have heard PI started with ideas and was looking for a developer to make a game that they could publish. Somehow the news got out before they found a developer. Probably to capitalize on the "derp fps syndicate" feeling at the time. I'm thinking that they took a gamble and missed widely. I don't even think that they have a developer yet.
    I alone have the right to use my avatar!

See the proof

I get your frustration - but when the "PR-campaign" starts you'll know it.

From a development standpoint we decided early on that we weren't going to rush the game - getting it right is the most important thing considering all the different volatile elements involved in making a game that treads closely to a huge fan favorite.

/s
    Chun Li: My father saved his village at the cost of his own life. You had him shot as you ran away. A hero at a thousand paces!
    Bison: I'm sorry... I don't remember any of it.
    Chun Li: You don't remember?
    Bison: For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday.

Twitter: @ShamsJorjani

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour

Quote Originally Posted by Shams View Post
    I get your frustration - but when the "PR-campaign" starts you'll know it.
    Hmm, marketing and PR aren't interchangeable terms after all, I take it...
    Well, at least you succeeded in not rushing it. Nobody will dispute that!

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    If only CA's products were half as good as their marketing...
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

You're mad because they're not marketing at you "correctly"? You want a dripping out of pointless details of pre-rendered videos? You want the game to be kept secret for 2 years before they tell anyone? What exactly does this achieve?

They told us, their customers, what they are working on. Or at least thinking of working on. That's called honestly, and may be old fashioned, but I think it shows a trust in the users. I don't need to be fed a marketing campaign where every screenshot release is coldly calculated to recognize a good game. If you do there are plenty others who will do that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ObiDamnKenobi View Post
    That's called honestly, and may be old fashioned
    There's only good and bad marketing and this one is abysmal. It's suicidal really. I doubt that anyone who was excited initally (like me) is still following this project. It reminds me of Core for HoI3 or any other of the countless d.o.a. mods. I just can't imagine that Cartel will ever be released. If something looks dead and smells dead, it probably is dead.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 Complete500k club

"In democracy, it's your vote that counts. In feudalism, it's your count that votes."
    There's only good and bad marketing and this one is abysmal. It's suicidal really. I doubt that anyone who was excited initally (like me) is still following this project. It reminds me of Core for HoI3 or any other of the countless d.o.a. mods. I just can't imagine that Cartel will ever be released. If something looks dead and smells dead, it probably is dead.
    So your entire theory is that since your interest died down (When it shouldn't have been up there in the first place), then there's no way to get it back up for anyone once the development diaries start being dished out?

Square Enix had already announced Final Fantasy XIV when XIII hadn't even been developed (Along with its spinoffs) so according to your theory Final Fantasy XIV is for all purposes dead and their PR department should all be fired on the spot. Likewise Max Payne 3 was three years without any new information on the game until very little time before the scheduled release. So according to your theory, Max Payne 3 was dead. Likewise, Half-Life 3 (Or Ep. 3) has been in production for like...8 years? without any new information. According to your theory the Valve PR department should all be fired on the spot, and that the announcement so many years ago for Half Life 3 was suicidal and the game will innevitably bomb when/if it's released. Nevertheless, shall we all confirm it as vaporware?ds

Please. They said they are working on the game nothing more. They didn't give deadlines, or any type of art, or anything really, besides a declaration of interest in making the game. It wasn't supposed to build hype. You making a big deal out of it doesn't mean that PR department is at any flaw. For Paradox's main titles, you only have the game's presentation once it is already under development and will keep a steady pace of development diaries, trailers and so on and so forth to keep the hype up. That's what happened in CK2 and that is what Paradox do when they want to create hype.

Which is very clearly not the case with this game. You should start following this project once there is actually stuff to be followed.
    "Chavez is leading his people into better future, after ages of explotation they have something to be happy about. Positive thing is also that he suport good causes all over south america and world too a sign of true greatnes." -Ivio
    "Yes, Stalin said the same thing." -Tufto

"I think I'm going insane. I can like FEEL each second and minute passing and it's making me go insane because like I could be building skills in those minutes instead of making a forum post or listening to music or g-chatting with a colleague. I can feel it in my brain and in my body. It's terrible.[...]Anyone else have this?" -EFT
    "Only when I read your posts." -trajan

Crusader Kings IIRome Gold

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    If only CA's products were half as good as their marketing...
    Then they would be only half as good as they are now. I don`t approve.
    Earth Invasion : Los Angeles

The Alien Invasion is here. Los Angeles is lost, unless a few good Paradoxians (and a bunch of Marines) throw them back in the ocean. Rules. Data. Map.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

This isn't a PA stunt, we're insiders, learning about what's in development. They'll probably change the name anyways, as with East Vs West.

I have to agree with the OP. We know absolutely nothing about the game and this forum looks a bit like a ghost town, with several pointless threads and bored users who don't know what they are supposed to discuss.

Its fun asking a company to fire an employee just bcoz u did not like something isn't it....
    ALL Hail Paradox... ALL Hail Paradox

+ Reply to Thread