• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some technical limitations could be fixed with some small changes to the core game (in GSystem.dll)
wouldn't solve the problem that trams can use trolley tracks or vice versa but that is a different aspect.

I do think that that USA DLC overwrites Tokyo DLC monorail string changes, I wonder how they will provide the trolley tracks this time.

From what I understand, there also is a problem of trolleybuses using exactly the same set of puzzle pieces as the trams, which is the reason why trolleybuses can't drive on avenues. What happens if you combine the two? Do trolleybuses actually use the same path as trams and travel in the middle?

The best decision at the time (in my opinion) would probably have to combine the catenary and rails, get rid of avenues altogether (however useful they are, they aren't suited for combined tram and trolleybus paths, although they can be changed to something like this) and make trams and trolleybuses one kind of transportation. But where's the fun in that.

CIM has the concept of a types (GRID Constant) of tracks and variation for tracks. The type defines roughly how the thing is handled by building. (Generally the opposite, the build cursor selects the right types and variation). The track builder selects the object by the connection map. However you can only build one piece of tram track into a street. How the collision is handled I asked with some question in the "Question to the Devs" topic but haven't seen a real answer yet. The track builder tries to connect variants.

Examples: My underground tram tracks are variations of underground metro tracks modified to be handled as tram paths.
Monorail, overground metro, modified to be tram tracks, Vehicles are trams. All tram vehicles get an invalid -1 type, Monorail vehicles get tram type.
Trolley bus USA, different tram track objects loaded. (the avenue ones are commented out). Same type changing while starting.

There are two ways:
Simple load the tracks without variation, means the actually replace trams. (The object names are the same too)
Load the the tracks with variation X, both variants can be (theoretical) build on the same map by simply loading the objects.*

A path (where a vehicle travels) can only be road/tram/railroad and is bound to the object type. However GSystem allows to convert any type to a tram path. (it's possible since a patch, so tokyo dlc works)

* I would prefer this variant for a DLC as the different tram tracks can be build on the same map, without changing object names. However as soon as you connect tram and trolley tracks, a line will use both to get to the destination. (Still better then having certain new tranport typs only in DLC maps.

Last edited:
We @citiesinmotion.ru are waiting for that DLC very much! CO, thanx for that a lot! But AgRiG is right: Petersbourg is a tram capital of USSR and Russia, so absence of trams would look quite strange.
Of course, we have a mod, which lets us build trolleys and trams at the same time and some tram models produces by the Spb Tram Factory, but many problems appear while using trolleys and trams at the same time as it has been said in this topic before.
Ugh... More trolleys with their ugly catenary lines? Why can't we have more Eastern Bloc trams?
You can use realistic catenary but default trolleys wouldn't fit in it anyways. Modders' ones do, and we have plenty of those.

By the way, CO, please, tell the secret of convertation of animation, we need it very much! D:

[...]
You can use realistic catenary but default trolleys wouldn't fit in it anyways. Modders' ones do, and we have plenty of those.
Thanks, and also to not have your downloads behind a signup procedure (my unexistant knowledge of the Russian language is quite good, actually)
By the way, CO, please, tell the secret of convertation of animation, we need it very much! D:
Magic?

They can tell you all steps of what they do to convert models, but still you won't be able to convert thing.
So the source code for the converter or the fileformat is the only useful magic...

I did some experiments with monorails as they are the easiest. Have for all stuff strings and stats room.
So I can separate tram and monorails ingame more. (with own buying vehicle window, line window and so on. won't solve the don't mix both system on street problem)

Adding monorail or tram stations works as well, however the big obstacle is I can't change the behaviour of a line. The type<>behaviour is set in stone.
Any unknown type will default to bus line :(

We want finally true GRID Types directly for you addons. Even monorails did need a core update, so why can't GSystem.dll not be updated to reflect new addons in a proper way?

Last edited:
My city. Terrain looks nice, great work! But bridges, like Dvortsovyj on the second screen, doesn't look like in real.

Now imagine being from New York and realising that your city with a population of 10 million is not even Extra Large. Sure, Vasilyevsky Island doesn't look real, there are some bridges there that are yet to be built (like the one going through Serny island), there was no ring road in 2001, there are no historical-looking houses on the outskirts and so on, but it still feels like the place despite obviously having been simplified, modified and most likely made using Google Maps and possibly Google Street View. In the best case scenario the developers spent €40 on a return bus from Tampere and had a walk in the centre.

It still looks much more accurate than Vienna or Amsterdam and will probably be a great DLC when released. By the way, has a date been set already so that I could stop checking this forum every 2 hours?

Actually, this is one of the very few DLCs for this game that weren't announced on GamersGate before anywhere else. The official site usually announces the DLC on release.

Gamersgate screens looks aweful. St. Isaac's Cathedral instead of the Admiralty, strange obelisk instead of Alexandriyskaya column. OMG...

Gamersgate screens looks aweful. St. Isaac's Cathedral instead of the Admiralty, strange obelisk instead of Alexandriyskaya column. OMG...
You can't expect them to have 1:1 model of the city. They have to scale it down. So many streets will be missing, and some places will not be in thir correct location.
Modeling a building is a long process, they don't have the man-power or time to model all the buildings in the city or even not all landmarks. They can only build 2-3 landmarks and some generic buildings for each expansion. So, instead of modeling a new obelisc, they used a generic obelisc to represent it.
We saw similar complaits ablout all previous cities in the game. The way I see it: Be proud! You live in a beautiful and historic city. Your city was chosen to be represented in this game, it could be any other city in the world.

[...] The way I see it: Be proud! You live in a beautiful and historic city. Your city was chosen to be represented in this game, it could be any other city in the world.[...]

Agreed!
So let's talk about Cities in Motion putting their feet in latin america!!!

Make São Paulo. I will try to not go too much offtopic.
Public transport fleet of over 17,000 units; 290 trolley buses; 5.2 million people on an average weekday and urban railway system of 322.2 km.
You can use some buildings from U.S. Cities, some from Europe and make some others. Make some traffic jams and you get Brazil in it! Would be awesome.

I'm realy proud of the fact that Saint-Petersburg will be in game, but as I can see developers made some mistakes putting St.Isaac's Cathedral wrong close to the Hermitage and so on. I think it could be remastered. And another bad thing for me is that sigths looks huge.But I'll buy this dlc.