• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually, regional markets would probably be a good thing in some ways. At very least, it would help smaller nations compete early on (when otherwise 5-6 GPs crowd everyone else out of the market).

Actually, regional markets would probably be a good thing in some ways. At very least, it would help smaller nations compete early on (when otherwise 5-6 GPs crowd everyone else out of the market).

I don't disagree-- but I would then say that the problem is the current system where the GP's get first dibs on all goods, thus allowing them to crowd everyone else out of the market. You could solve that in a variety of ways, but I personally think trying to emulate economics in an even more realistic fashion is just begging for it to fall down on more levels than it already does. Not that I wouldn't mind a simulation that actually does work realistically, but I'd almost prefer more abstraction in favor of useability rather than something that's trying to be realistic but ends up being frustrating because the user has no insight into why their economy doesn't work.

But I don't want to sound like I'm arguing, either. A more functional economy is a worthy goal no matter how it's done.

I don't disagree-- but I would then say that the problem is the current system where the GP's get first dibs on all goods, thus allowing them to crowd everyone else out of the market. You could solve that in a variety of ways, but I personally think trying to emulate economics in an even more realistic fashion is just begging for it to fall down on more levels than it already does. Not that I wouldn't mind a simulation that actually does work realistically, but I'd almost prefer more abstraction in favor of useability rather than something that's trying to be realistic but ends up being frustrating because the user has no insight into why their economy doesn't work.

But I don't want to sound like I'm arguing, either. A more functional economy is a worthy goal no matter how it's done.

Heh, who said anything about doing regional markets in a realistic fashion? :D

There's been precisely one feasible regional market suggestion that can actually work without major changes to how vickynomics works: the continental model. And that's completely unrealistic - realism was really the least of my priorities when was thrashing the idea out, as I was more focused on what was achievable with the minimum impact on the economy hardcode (since the devs tend to set things on fire and start muttering ominously when the topic is broached).

As such, it's more a concept designed to solve the GP-crowdout issue, than simply adding in regional markets for their own sake; there's a genuinely good reason to implement them independently of the fact that they're like the #3 most popular fan suggestion for V2.

In general i can see how an exclusively world market only system works for this era, I mean its globalization in its infancy, international trade on an unpresidented level compared to economies a few centuries prior. So I agree with Rylock when he pointed it out, however Naselus has a good point too as far as resource hoarding by the higher tier nations. Perhaps the economy can be molded to offer certain resources that have a higher demand with uncivs and lower level cived nations, while the higher tier nations are after more lucrative resources? Whatever the case, I'm very satisfied with how far the devs have come with improving the economy in this game - I really enjoy certain games that don't require military campaigns.

One way of removing resource hoarding would be to scrap the ability of turning colonies into states. The only IRL applications of it were in the US, Canada, Russia and French Algeria - which is usually SOI'd by France! Turning large parts of Africa and India into industrial belts hoovers up resources that should be being consumed by the smaller European and South American powers. Simulating the industrialisation of areas like Canada and other Dominions (which were further on balance economically structured as to provide resources and markets for British industry) would be to introduce movements for Canadian/Australian/etc. POPs for self-rule.

Victoria 2 still needs some work but its hard to tell where to begin.

actually i have no idea what to change :)

Only thing i want to the game is transport costs :D but that is hard really hard and the copy needs. Only ways to make it work is probally add more layers to the market system and even that is hard to image cpu friendly version would make market take 2-3 times more cpu time rather easyly.

mayby after few years.

I like th beginning of Victoria 2, the timespan until 1890. After that the industry balance start to tip and fails.

We need some elements that make it harder to wage wars and amass really huge armies past 1880 - at that point of the game you'll always be swimming in money and military goods will be very very cheap thanks to irrational overproduction of all factory owners. The only limiting facor is manpower and that can easily be solved by just using NFS. It seems a but strange that the primary goal to have good health care is too gave a bigger army.

Also tanks and planes do not really work in game. They play no special role whatsoever and are generally useless for anyone but the barrel hoarder ;). The only thing that is really effective are gas attacks and those are probably too effective compared to what happend in history. The historic distribution of rubber will always lead to the same problems in the late game : all products involving it will only be produced by the UK, unless the player changes it; which means that only a very limited number of countries will ever get access to any of its products (around 1936 the UK will most likely only produce rubber products for internal use anyway...)

There is a huge disconnect between the economic side of Victoria 2 and the other elements present in the game; this always seems to happen in the late game.

Last edited:
Victoria 2 is simply too excellent to stop working on. Like early EU3, it is very good, but has a frustrating amount of potential for even greater things.

The only limiting facor is manpower and that can easily be solved by just using NFS. It seems a but strange that the primary goal to have good health care is too gave a bigger army.

I propose that Health Care is really weakened, as in my game as Germany, i got a population of over 150 million. With no colonies or any land other than 1913 borders and small Austria. I dont think Germany can really fit 150 million or it should cause problems.

Regional markets make programmers cry, so I am not convinced it would be worth trying to even fight that battle.:) One of the reasons to split up China is that allowed the GPs to have seperate regionaly based Spheres without having to go and dig around in the World Market code. The Victoria 2 world market code is remarkably complex under the hood and they are loath to touch it.

By god, the programmers are professionals, aren't they? And once the regional markets are done in an expansion, you already have most of the work done on that when making Victoria 3 several years into the future.