Last edited by Meanmanturbo; 01-07-2012 at 22:53.
I alone have the right to use my avatar!
See the proof
Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be
i know what i would what in a expansion either a earlyier starting point like where EU3 ends or a colonial expansion cos i think you should colonize for exaple muralve and not the entire region you know what i mean. also what else would be cool is a map editor, and naval combat needs to be fixed and it would be cool if you could send ultimateums and the option to stop countries from buying certain goods from you lik iron.
Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be
Thanks King for your feedback! It's great to hear about your dedication to Victoria 2 after Italy has lost the Euro 2012 final!
Anyways, I'm sure you'll work for the best!!!
I'm glad we have a Dev in the conversation already. 5 or so pages of speculation would have been too many.
Now that we know another expansion is likely for Vicky2, we ought to start wildly speculating on what it is going to be.
I predict better Great-War mechanics, allowing for Fewer but bloodier World Wars. We might even get a WW1 Startdate.
Likely not, but a dude can dream.
Thanks King for the update. Glad to hear Victoria 2 hasn't been forgotten.
I would have to say Vicky with the AHD expansion is a very good game. Love the options. But I would love to see an expansion focus on the great war or the Franco Prussian war.
And more importantly, take notes on the APD mod and make an even more marvelous expansion!
What VIC2 needs is an expansion focusing on the military aspects of the game, those have always been the weakest point in an otherwise highly sophisticated whole. The battle system is only designed around 19th century style warfare, it cannot accurately simulate 20th century warfare like it should. I'd love to see a military-focused expansion allowing WW1 and Inter-War type warfare (i.e. trenches, aircraft that can actually fly like in HOI, submarines which use stealth, etc). And maybe a WW1 starting scenario, like in VIC1:REV.
Victoria2 deserves to be onthe radar yet
It's a great game, and I only hope sales make possible to continue developing it. Economy is something we could dig more in (not regional markets as King has stated, but perhaps introducing a new kind of goods, representing services and making of them something for artisans, being only national -not world market- available... could give a new vision to economics. Financial features would be great also.
In other areas, of course politics is the great thing to develop, and I'd be happy with a little more of details into technology.
But if there's a focus of the expansion, it won't be IMHO First World War or Crimea... it would be colonialism. A revamped system, taking some inspiration on Pride of Nations would make of that expansion a no-brainer.
Anyway I'm getting whatever you develop. I'm an absolute Vicky fan. So I'm happy of likeliness of a new expansion for Vicky2
Why do you sound surprised? I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America - Liz Lemon
I have to say I'm also quite glad to hear Vic2 is still on Paradox's radar. I found CK2 diverting for a short while, but I've since been drawn back to modding Vic2 again simply because I enjoy the game so much.
I tend to resist adding my voice to the string of "what I'd like to see in the future" posts, as from a developer's perspective it must end up sounding like the fans wanting everything and anything-- and a pony-- but for my two cents:
* Expanded diplomacy. In particular, it would be nice to see the AI using the same diplomacy options to which the player has access-- in particular, the ability to call in allies after the war has started and providing funding for allies. It would also be great to see different levels of alliance, like a "guarantee of independence" (meaning "I'll help you if you're invaded, but I won't help you attack someone") or a more iron-clad factional alliance where the countries are obligated to go to war and cannot choose to drop out (especially useful when dealing with fickle AI allies).
* As mentioned above, a reworked military system. In particular, the warscore system needs some work-- how many times has someone complained that large countries such as the UK and Russia are almost impossible to gain warscore against without going to absurd lengths. You can occupy all of Siberia or India and gain very little warscore... or gain a lot just by defeating a few armies, regardless of those armies percentage of their overall force. CK2 made some excellent innovations in this regard. In addition, more intelligent AI use of seaborne invasion and assistance of allies would be ideal.
* Splitting up national cores into cores (a culture's homeland) and claims (land a country has recognized claims to, but which is not considered integral).
* Reworking the rebel system, both in terms of how pops become part of rebels and what they're fighting for. Right now it's too common for a liberal, educated pop to decide what his democratic country really needs is an absolute dictatorship. Nationalism-- an important part of the era-- should also be punched up. It would be excellent to see different levels of disorder and/or guerrilla warfare, and rebels being harder to deal with than mole-whacking rebel armies that rise up.
* Changing the vassal system. Sub-states were added, which are nice, but they're just vassals that foreign countries can take chunks out of... and vassals themselves are still rather useless. It would be great to see things like tributary states (they grant a portion of their income to their owner, like with reparations) and the AI actually being able to deal with a vassal on their border (they don't tend to use "Release Puppet", for instance).
* Insofar as new scenarios, I'm not a big fan of those-- and I imagine they're also incredibly hard for the developers to set up and support due to all the changes needed to pops and military units and countless other changes such as tech and literacy levels. If one was to be done, a WW1 scenario would be nice... but only if some of the above things like factional alliances and warscore changes were also done. It would be disheartening to start WW1 and have the UK peace out after two months or have the AI sending sea invasions against colonies rather than actually fighting on the continent.
Not a big list, right?
Whatever Paradox gets up to, they'll have my support. Thanks for a great game.
nice ideas rylock, but as far as diplomacy is concerened i think we need a ultimateum thing that we can send to a country like give me my core or its war or give me military acces or im gonna invade sort of thing.
i also think they need to rework the rebel system like maybe throe in a civil war/ war of independece thing in.
It's good to hear there is still impetus for further development of Vic2 within Paradox! I'm a bit disappointed about the infeasibility of regional markets, though having made some non-linear simulation models of my own I sympathize with the programmers who had to develop such a complex one in the first place, and I suppose I'd freak out too if someone asked me to redesign it. Though it comes short when presented with events such as the Opium War (a situation I dealt with in this comic), it's still a very impressive self-consistent model!
My AARs: Subcontinental Subtleties (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - ongoing as a webcomic - *multi-award-winning* --- A Hyderabad Holiday Special (Victoria 2, v2.31) - complete --- Sing a Septinsular Song (Ionian Islands) (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - complete - *Winner of the VictAARian Cross, for Best Completed 2011 AAR* --- Tunis Delenda Est (Victoria 2, v1.2) - complete --- Albania Finds its Place in the World (Victoria 2, v1.2 with minor mods) - complete --- Australia: Rise of a Constellation (Victoria 2, v1.2 with minor mods) - complete --- Belgium: Rise of the Choco Lords (Victoria 2, v1.1) - complete
My mods: The 1948 Arab-Israeli War (battlescenario for HoI2, Doomsday and Armageddon. Current version: 1.1)