• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ciccillo Rre

Alluccate: "Viva 'o Rre!!!"
84 Badges
Oct 16, 2011
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • PDXCon 2019 "Baron"
So, considering that AHD has a relatively well balanced economy, that the latest patch 2.31 is quite stable and it does not look like there are many (serious) bugs still floating around, that the recent patches have introduced obvious things that the community was demanding including the Great War mechanics, and finally that we have been not hearing from developers for a while... can we argue that this game is at the end of its development cycle?

Now, of course, many us are expecting a new expansion, and there are two threads about what the community would like to see in it, but how reasonable would such an expectation be? Do we really think that an expanded timeline, colonization mechanics or WW1 scenario is for Paradox worth the effort of another expansion? The way I see it is, that with Johan's new "secret" project plus two teams working on extending two likely better selling games - CK2 and HoI3, with its latest expansion (I like V2 more but admittedly it's even more of a niche game than the other two or EU3) I do not see much future for Victoria 2, at the state. At most, I think we would get a small expansion/DLC for half the ttypical price (say half the price of AHD) with some minor things like a WW1 scenario plus related imperialism/colonization mechanics. Yet I see it unlikely.

i think there will be an expansion or a 3rd game and i dont think its to big of an expectation i mean they put huge amounts of effort into all of their games just look at all the expansions for EU3 and hearts of iron. but if they think its to hard to make a new starting date they could always ask the community for help or use data collected that was used in mods such as the empire mod. long story short i think we will get more.

I'm expecting at least one more expansion, but I don't know how much more there will be. I don't think this really is a big seller compared to PIs other series so they probably prioritize their other series first. I don't know though, I have no idea of how many copies that have been sold.

I really hope we will see another expansion. Victoria 2 is in my opinion the best paradox game so far. The game system has so much depth and there are so many ways to play the same country. Although this complexity is a big barrier for many new players, like for me as this was my first paradox game, but I took the time to learn the game and it was so worth it.

Would be intresting to see how A house divided sold, could be a pointer if we will get another expansion or not.

Would be intresting to see how A house divided sold, could be a pointer if we will get another expansion or not.
Would be indeed, as we'll never know! :)

I agree on your views btw, CK2 and EU3 are beautiful games but they surely can't match Victoria 2 for me, my first Paradox game/love. :)

I know ck2 is big atm. And it's not that bad, it's just that... it's too easy. It's got no economy (you just build 2 buildings and that's it) and it's just so easy and linnear. I like ck2. I've played it a lot. But vicky 2 has a level of complexity that might be a kick in the nuts for a new player, but that's what makes it interesting. There's A LOT of potential for vicky 2 and they'd be stupid not to take advantage of that.

I know ck2 is big atm. And it's not that bad, it's just that... it's too easy. It's got no economy (you just build 2 buildings and that's it) and it's just so easy and linnear. I like ck2. I've played it a lot. But vicky 2 has a level of complexity that might be a kick in the nuts for a new player, but that's what makes it interesting. There's A LOT of potential for vicky 2 and they'd be stupid not to take advantage of that.
I think we all agree on this, the issue is how much room there is for new expansions that sell

I think Vic2 is really easy to understand, so do my pals that I've introduced the game to. It's EU3 that I've never really understood. There's all these things happening at all times and I can barely understand anything of it.

I'd actually be fine with Pdox focusing on CK2, considering how much potential there is for great gameplay and financial returns. I reckon V2 is good as-is, and I could understand if they left it for a while to focus on games that'd benefit their wallets more, to hopefully subsidise the expansion of games like Victoria in the future :3

We at least need an expansion on the Great Game and on the Crimean War/Balance of Power.

I'd actually be fine with Pdox focusing on CK2, considering how much potential there is for great gameplay and financial returns. I reckon V2 is good as-is, and I could understand if they left it for a while to focus on games that'd benefit their wallets more, to hopefully subsidise the expansion of games like Victoria in the future :3

CK2 can't ever get an actual economy or a better unit system. Its potential is limited both by its target audience (mostly people who aren't up for a real challenge because this is their one of their first paradox games) and by the way it's designed to work. It's like eu3, without all the budget, economy and military stuff, to be completely honest. That's not to say it's not interesting... it's just that there aren't a lot of things that can be done to improve it atm. Maybe a better combat system, maybe some actual choices when it comes to buildings, maybe even a pagan dlc with an earlier start date to make it relevant. But that's it, isn't it?

So, while there might be some potential for more cash, but I don't see a lot of potential for the game itself. I mean, yeah, they'll come up with something, I've got no doubt of that, but Vicky has so much more potential. I can't say whether another expansion would be profitable or not, but I can say that I would pay money for it. There's just so many things they can do with vicky atm. A better industry, an earlier start date, better uncivs, just to name a few. At the very least, they owe us another major patch.

I bet 1 million dollars on an expansion focusing on the Great War, with a WW1 scenario coming with it; obviously adding some new features and polish like AHD did.

I would have bet 1mil against, when this game was in development given how often it was frequently mentioned that 'it isnt a war game', 'the community only plays the 1836 campaign' etc etc. Then the game was released and there was military artwork everywhere and an expansion that featured both a war and a different start period. But now, who knows!?

From what Ive played of Vic2 (keeping in mind that Vic1 is still one of my fav games ever) the combat system definately needs some looking at.

I'll buy an expansion if Paradox makes brigades 1k instead of 3k. And just that.
Why? PDM has tried it and it did not work very well, to the point that they reverted to the 3000 men brigades.

No, it is just down our list of things to do. The team that did AHD is busy on the new HoI3 expansion, but our dedicated Beta team are still busy, gathering up issues for a 2.4 patch. We should return to Vic2 after the HoI3 expansion is out.