• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mar 14, 2003
ponaarcover.png

Last edited:

bintroduction.png

Hello and welcome. Its pretty obvious this will be another Pride of Nations GC AAR playing as Sardinia-Piedmont aka Sardegna-Piedmonte (will be denoted as S-P), using version 1.02, with default/standard game options set. When I started to consider writing another AAR I originally wanted to play as Great Britain as that would provide more of challenge keeping the empire
from caving in on itself and a longer game, meaning a longer AAR. However after following a
couple of other AAR's on this forum and knowing Loki, it seemed a more fun idea to attempt
to play my way, as neither do I think I play as Loki does nor write as tremendous analytical
AARs as he does – so our styles in both matters will be completely different.

One more note in the style of this AAR, is that it will be a hybrid of formats, writing styles, presentation and strategy and tactical plays as I hope to go through many as many variations
as possible before settling on a preferred method. Something that will depend on feedback
from you (whoever is reading this). Dont be afraid to criticize and I will do my best to take on
board all comments.

My intention in playing the game as S-P will be fairly efficient in terms that I will be aiming
for a peaceful approach to reaching 2000 prestige points – the total needed to win the game.
In order to achieve this I intend to unite the Italian pennisula, build up the economy by
restructuring industry and infrastructure and also increasing the reach of the martime fleet.
These will hopefully help me colonize the areas of the globe, particularly in Africa that belong
in my Sphere of Influence. Also in this regards I intend to foil as much as possible whichever
nation is the lead ranking in terms of global prestige. Where I can, and can get away with it.
Technology research therefore will be limited mainly to enhancing all areas of the economy,
with only a few slots for military upgrades. These will be focused on core unit types.

Furthermore in terms of my military, I will be going for quality over quantity and hope field
the small but formidible navy and army, with small colonial support where it is needed.

I will not be writing as detailed or as analytically an AAR as Loki and any feedback will help
me form plans for future turns, as I have only played the game around 30-40 hours in total,
nearly all of that was as Great Britain. I get the feeling that Austria and perhaps some of the
other Italian states will be problematic in some sense, so if need be I will need to be flexible
with my military. Grow it when at war and disband the least experienced when it is not needed.

anvf001a2.jpg

So to begin with lets see what we have available. In terms of conceptual assets S-P begins with:

1. Six diplomats used for regional decisions and colonial actions.

2.Starting national morale of 100 which affects our military conduct at war and is a useful
gauge as to whether the nation can take on enough war-weariness to win. This goes up or
down depending on winning or losing battles and capturing objectives.

3. Prestige Points is the measure of how well the nation is fairing among its peers on the
global stage. S-P begins with 550 PP and gains more by completing national missions,
possessing colonies, and other nationally important locations, gaining the upper hand in
diplomatic crises, when certain events occur and the building of certain structures and
production.

4. Currently S-P ranks 7 out 8 in terms of prestige accumulated. S-P has 28% of its
national goals completed. I don't plan on losing any of these.

In terms of raw resources S-P begins with:

a. $400 Money
b. $500 Private Capital
c. 50t. Coal
d. 40t. Steel
e. 50t. Manufacturing Good (Mfg Gds)
f. 10/75 Officers and conscripts

These are the seeds that will allow us to create the industrial, colonial and military assets
we need to expand every element of our nation in terms of gameplay.

S-P also currently controls the following sites:

5. 12 agricultural buildings
6. 4 mines/quarries
7. 10 industrial buildings

In terms of geographical regions under the control of S-P these consist of:

g) Savoie
h) Alps-Martimes
i) Piedmonte
j) Alessandria
k) Liguria
l) La Spezia
m) Sardinia

Rival nations that straddle our immediate borders are:

8. France (to west)
9. Swizterland (to North)
10. Austria (to North East)
11. Parma (East)
12. Papal States (South)
13. Two Sicilies (South)
14. Tuscany (South East)

France and Austria are real threats to our existence. While Swizterland will hopefully remain dependably neutral. The other Italian states will hopefully begin to sway towards our way of
thinking and join the revolution toward garnering a single Italian nation.

Last edited:
Oh boy, 2 SP PoN AARs? Awesome. Best of luck!

I think it may become a contest...

For several months, there were no active PoN AARs at all and now they are popping up like weeds ... very enjoyable weeds. ;) This one looks most promising! Great graphics! :)

Loki and yourself should really go for a wager: How about a run towrads the unification of Italy? Or the establishment of the first Italian colony? Or beating either France or Austria in a war?
But the true challenge will be something completely different - getting your campaign to a point where you can write "The end".

Last edited:
I guess I will read both PoN S-P at the same time to see whether they are different ways to unite Italy. Good luck with PON, it is a huge beast !

Oh boy, 2 SP PoN AARs? Awesome. Best of luck!
I think it may become a contest...
Loki00 would win hands down. Though Ive written a few AARs most are incomplete. And unfortunately I dont have as much time as I used to have to write these things.

PON AARs seem to be popping up everywhere. That's A Good thing.
I quite agree. Its been a while since I even attempted to start the game, so Ive been having fun getting to grips with the interface!

For several months, there were no active PoN AARs at all and now they are popping up like weeds ... very enjoyable weeds. ;) This one looks most promising! Great graphics! :)

Loki and yourself should really go for a wager: How about a run towrads the unification of Italy? Or the establishment of the first Italian colony? Or beating either France or Austria in a war?
But the true challenge will be something completely different - getting your campaign to a point where you can write "The end".

Thanks for the high praise. Not as graphically wonderful as yours. Though as you'be set a high bar, I have at least something to aim for!

superb graphics (but then you have a habit of getting that bit spot on) and an intriguing framing of the options.

Thank you sir. If I ever get the chance I shall post a PDF of A Pictorial Lesson in the Art of Warfare - Italy 1936 AAR - for HoI. The original 100% graphical AAR, and the only one I managed to complete. :) Site hosting the screens went bellyup, but I think I have the pics somewhere on disc.

I guess I will read both PoN S-P at the same time to see whether they are different ways to unite Italy. Good luck with PON, it is a huge beast !
Thanks... I intend to enjoy this game and post slowly but informatively. Except where something extraordinary happens.

Just a quick note, Ive updated the previous post, to a format Im happy with. Apologizes in advance at the changing style, until I find one that suits my time commitments. :)

bstartingeconomy.png

Perhaps the most important aspect of Pride of Nations is the running of a nations economy. It may not provide the necessary prestige points to win the game, but the economy provides the means with which to afford it. Practically everything else in the game, from military conquest and colonial expansion stems from getting the economy right.

Arriving at a working economy is fairly straight-forward, even if the economy model in PoN has many facets. Though it is not necessary to understand each element in getting started, being aware of each facet of the economy will help you deal with any problems that pop up during the game.

Below I take a look at the fundamentals of economy.

1. Setting Economic Policy

anvf006a.jpg

We start with a look at the political aspects of the economy. In the screen above, we see that S-P currently has a policy of a MIXED ECONOMY. This gives S-P a balanced position in terms of investment and setting up businesses within its borders. Depending on the events during the forth-coming game, we may see the policy change to STATE CONTROL or more likely to FREE COMPETION.

For now we will keep it at MIXED ECONOMY.

2. Commodities - Resources & Products

anvf002c.jpg

Click the focus button to ECONOMY (as seen by A) to get to this screen.

In terms of generating income perhaps the single biggest element is the collection of MERCHANDISE (or PRODUCTS). These come in two forms, raw resources and manufactured items. Both need structures to collect or generate items that can be traded.

Resources are seen on the map, within the specific regions of a nation. They are represented by individual icons, of 1 to 39 different types. There are three classes of resources: FOOD GROUPS, COMMON GOODS & LUXURIES. The relevance of these classes will be descibed in a later update. On the main map, tooltips indicate the number of raw resources that are present in a region.

The starting resources available to S-P are shown in the screen above. As you can see S-P has a wide range of food groups (Cattle, Grapes, Cereals) but only a few types of common goods such as (wood, iron and minerals). These aren't the most lucrative of materials, so we will look to export these as much as possible and import the raw materials that can be imported for the least cost, but when manufactured provide the most profit. Iron is the mineral most available through out mining enterprises (4).

So given that the types of resource available in a region and the quantities available; Piedmonte is perhaps the most important region in S-P.

3. (Regional) Structures

Every region produces raw materials by default. Some can enhance this capacity by building certain strucutres.

The most economically rewarding structures take raw materials and convert them to products. As structures come with initial financial and operating costs, the economy needs to be able to support these. So purchasing new structures is a key decision in how well or how bad the economy will perform. It is important also to keep an eye on current stock-levels and the amounts of each resource that are available every turn. If these resources dry-up, the structures will not deliver their important outputs for trade (and other aspects of gameplay.)

anvf003.jpg

Click the focus button to ECONOMY (as seen by A) to get to this screen, then on a industy icon (GOLD HIGHLIGHT) in a region you control to see the buildings in that screen.

Existing structures in a region that can collect or use these resources to manufacture new products can be seen in the horizontal bar at the bottom of the screen as can be seen above. Structures are compicated elements of the game, needing an initial investment cost to make them, and an ongoing cost in terms of capital and input resources in order to get an output.

Later on when new technology is discovered; better, more efficient structures can be built or upgraded to.

In addition to the screen above the structures currently under you control can be seen in the ECONOMIC STRUCTURES INFORMATION screen (F11) which we will see further below.

Overall during the game one of the key decisions you will be faced with is whether to import the manufactured (advanced) products or to become self-reliant. That is to have created the structures for your own country to build them, themselves. This will of course affect other aspects of the economy such as trade: importing and exporting and employment of the population. For when you have a lot of people in employment you can generate additional income, by raising the INCOME TAX.

There is a lot of game time to pass before S-P can become self-reliant, at least in terms of EVERY type of resource and product that there is. Therefore we will need to trade with other nations in order to generate income in the economy.

4. Trade Areas

In terms of trading S-P will need to import a lot more resources and some products than it currently generates. In this respect, the game uses TRADE AREAS to simulate Centres of Trade (EU). Essentially these are regional market, where geographic regions can sell the resources or products they generate and nations can import these items where required.

You can see how TRADE AREAS are organized by pressing CTRL-3 to bring up the corresponding map-mode.

anvf011.jpg

In order to do to use TRADE AREAS a MARITIME FLEET from your nation must be present within and not in combat. An example can be seen above, with a fleet from S-P presently located in the Trade Area Mediterranean.

Not all trade requires the presence of fleets in a trade area. Those connected over land to the region where your capital is in this case Liguria (city = GENOA). Which is why it can trade with Switzerland to its north.

anvf008b.jpg

You can see which trade areas you have positions a fleet in, by pressing F5 to see the STRATEGIC MAP. The strategic situation for S-P can bee seen in the screen above. S-P has three fleets present in maritime trade areas; in the Mediterranean, and of off the Argentinian and Scandinavian coasts (GREEN dots). Other trade areas where I do not have any maritime fleets are also shown (RED dots).

As long as these fleets stay in position I will be able to trade for resources and products in places such as North Africa, South America and Scandinavia. However it is not important to have fleets elsehwere until more lucrative resources become abuntantly available for trade, mainly when colonies are upgraded or more importantly when S-P has its own colonies.

5. Trading Commodities

Now that we know that resources create income. Now that we know structures acquire raw resources and can convert raw resources into products. Now that we know that fleets of commerce ships must occupy naval trading areas to enable trading to occur with lands across the seas. Now that we know that trade areas connected to our capital can also be traded with, it is time to look at how we actually trade and why we need to trade.

anvf005b.jpg

The first step we should take is to look at the Industry and Commerce Ministry Screen. See above screen.

This screen provides an overview of all aspects needed to work out if and what should be traded. You can see that mostly raw resources are shown in this screen (left BLUE FILTER BUTTON).

anvf007c.jpg

To see manufactured products click on the (right BLUE FILTER BUTTON).

Basically the screen can be read as follows.

The top row (1.) shows all resources at the start of the turn. These stockpiles can be increased or decreased through their use for structure upkeep and production (2) or by exporting to other nations (3). Furthermore any of these resources used in conversion to other products (or used in other gameplay) is shown in (4). The overall expected change in the stock-levels for each resource is shown in (5).

Perhaps row 4, together with comparing rows 1 with row 5. is the most important rows for seeing if you need to begin importing additional resources from abroad because you are not generating enough of these. Or if you can begin to export any surplus of resources in order to generate income to fund other elements of your nation such as the military, infrastructure or colonial actions.

There are five actions associated with this screen. Each can help maintain some aspect of the economy if and when required. These are:

A. Turn on/off all structures – to reset industry if it is failing, so you can start to manage it again piece by piece.
B. Convert food-stuffs in Preserved Food. Which can be good if the price of this commodity exceeds those of other food groups.
C. Convert gold & gems into state funds, if your capital is a little low and you need the money urgent.
D. Convert supplies from stock-piles to supply on the map. When your military machine is large and war is perhaps in progress.
E. As D, but for munitions.

My initial GOALS in terms of the economy are to:

i. I switch off autoconversion of supplies and munitions to the map.
By pressing buttons D & E.

ii. Covert all surplus raw foodstuffs into Preserved Food products.
To that end I click button B. Immediately there is a change in row 4, as the number of resources for Food Groups increasely negatively (and consequently the excess that would have increased the stockpiles or would exported at the end of turn are reduced). As shown in row 5. Except for the column where Preserved Food is this is raised from 5 to 13 as they are to be exported (row 4).

anvf009.jpg

iii) Turn off any structures that are not in profit.
By clicking on F11 and turning off the strucutres not making a postive margin (see above screen shot). Then moving the switch to off for all buildings in the red.

iv) Get the imports/exports levelled so my stockpiles are not going towards zero.
Once the above three things are done, click on the Industry and Commerce Ministry Screen F4 and check the difference between rows 1 & 5 for each resource and product. We want to get as many of these items levelling off in terms of stockpiles (rows 1 and 5 should be the save value).

Where we can and for a few important items we want to increase the stockpiles (row 5) by +1 or +2.
Depending on the situation we may want to reduce or increase stockpiles. When an item for instance is exporting for a lot of money, we want to export as many numbers as possible. (esp. if when we produced or purchased them the cost was less – shame PoN doesnt keep track of this).

When we are a peace for instance, but plan on going to war, we may want to increase stockpiles in munitions and supplies. Or increase luxury goods to keep our pop content/satisfied.

Though most importantly we will want to import any items we require for our structures but cannot generate within out territory.

v. Sell off any excess resources (and some products) in order to maximize income for private capital and state funds.
These are resources with a much larger value in row 5 than in row 1.

In order to effect imports and exports we must double-left-click on the resource icon on the map when the trade Economic Screen is in play. Depending on the trade area of the region clicked on, the brings up the TRADE SCREEN for the relevant trade area.

When clicking on a trade area where one of your regions is located, you will be able to sell (or EXPORT) any commodities you do not need. While any regions in that trade area that do not belong to you, can have any commodities purchased they wish to sell. See the screen below to see the MARITIME TRADE SCREEN for Scandinavia.

anvf010.jpg

Once you decide to buy a quanity of item, you can decide for how many turns you wish the purchase to go on for – 1 turn or Infinite turns. The same can be determined for exports. In this example S-P is purchasing 4 units of wood for £2 / item out of 20 from Sweden.

6. Importing the quick way

You can by-pass the micro-management method of economic control by calling up the ASSET BALANCE Screen, by pressing B. As you can see by the screen below, a panel displaying the current stockpiling trends for each resource and product are shown. The information show depicts the information only for the current turn and is updated every turn.

Each of the central resource types as displayed at the top of the screen are included here for manipulation. (See colour coded icons.) Where a commodity is losing a lot of its stock in the next turn it is shown be the RED squiggly line (2) going downwards. Where it is up by a fair amount or alot, the squiggly line is GREEN (1). Where the line is BLACK (3) and horizontal, the volume of the commodity is staying roughly equal. But do not forget to call up a tooltip to get a detailed account.

Further information is also displayed here. A) shows the level of POPULATION contentment/satisfaction a nation's citizens currently possess. S-P has a level of 50%. Buying certain product types such as LUXURIES will increase this. B) demonstrates inflation which determines in part the cost of commodities. While C) shows the total value of all the commodities a nation currently has stockpiled. In the case of S-P this is $1649.

This options also has a very helpful tooltip which makes suggestions on which structures the player should commission next and where.

After micromanaging all my economic trades, closing the non-profit making structures and tweaking certain options, I re-open my Asset Balance Screen which looks like this:

anvf012.jpg

You will notice that none of the commodities in the game are having their stockpiles reduced. Most are equalised, though the most important ones (for now); State Funds, Private Capital, Coal, Steel, Supplies and Munitions are gaining by a few points.

In the preceeding turns I will look to increase Private Capital in order to be able to afford to by a new strucutre that will allow S-P to generate a new commodity, that I cannot afford to buy (yet) or cannot generate or produce. This will also allow me to begin stockpiling this item as well.

** NOTE: Just remember that the ASSET BALANCE Screen doesn't allow you to export any items. Use the (Maritime Trade Area Screen) to do that.

In addendum:

Sometimes a nations borders do not fit conveniently on trade areas and the commodities created in specific regions of a nations territory may have to be sold in different areas. Do not forget to set the exports for your regions in whatever trade areas your domain crosses.

anvf013a.jpg

In the example above the provinces of Alps-Maritimes and Savoie are assigned to the trade area of Southern France, rather than Northern Italy, as defined by the green border line.

Each trade area has a detail Import/Export screen, some examples of which can be seen below. To access these simply call up the Trade Area Screen (CTRL-3) and double-click on one of the commodities/resource icons in a region for that Trade Area.
anvf014a.jpg

Trade Areas come in two type; Domestic Trade Areas and Foreign Trade Areas. Domestic Trade Areas are those that have at least one region where you are producing a commodity through a structure which can be traded.

In Domestic Trade Areas you can set the exports for any surplus commodities that you are producing or generating. In Foreign Trade Areas you can set the individual amount of imports you wish to make for a given and required commodity. The country you set-up your trades with can be important depending on your relationship with them.

The above examples shows S-P's Domestic Trade Area – North Italy and a few Foreign Trade Areas where the bulk of it's imports originate from. Another such trade area would be in Scandinavia, where 2x wood are being imported.

Last edited:
excellent stuff, much more methodical than my somewhat random approach to economic management ... & you found someone to sell you wood too

Ah thanks. The economy is my strong-point. Its what I spent most of my time playing through during my time with this game when it first came out. Colonial actions Im okay with, but production and combat I did practically nothing with, because w/ GB you dont need to build many structures and I never got to see much combat as most of the time the opposition capitulated.

It will be good to finally get through numerous turns and start to use my economic gains for diplomatic and colonial matter.

BTW: Ive added another thing at the end & will probably expand a sub-section on Trading Areas before the above update is complete.

bfirststeps.png

1. First Steps

Time passes for Sardinia-Piedmont. The year is 1850 and changes are in the wind as the month of January completes its cycle. (D.)

anvf00201.jpg

2. Turn Summary

A. With no major changes NATIONAL MORALE remains at 100. Should this start to drop, we will need to examine the situation and find out what the causes are and reserve the trend. No new diplomats are received. Though S-P's PRESTIGE rises by 4 points.

B. S-P's rank in world affairs remains at # 7.

C. S-P's core *important* commodities and base military assets rise slightly across the board, meaning S-P can continue to see a small health rise for each, bar (military) supplies.

Breakdown of net changes for this turn:

+ 44 State Funds = £444
+ 111 Private Capital = £611
+ 2 Coal = 52
+ 4 Steel = 34
+ 22 Mfg Gds = 72
+ 2 Officers = 12
+ 4 Conscripts = 79
+ 0 Supplies = 35/20​

E. The game log provides a list of all relevant changes that took place in the turn before.

3. S-P's Objectives

This next screen gives up a lowdown of what objectives (regions) are imporant to us, as well as an overall summary of information on the state of S-P's progress.

anvf00206a.jpg

The regions mentioned go hand in hand with our desire to unify the Italian peninsula. We must do our atmost to persuade Parma, Tuscany, the Papal States and the Two Sicilies to join us. By force of will or force of might. The three regions under Austrian rule are a different matter however.

4. Government

anvf00202.jpg

New Missions are set for S-P's government to fulfill. These are:

1. Largest Army in Europe
2. Largest manufacture of Luxuries & Wines worldwide​

Successfully achieving these goals provide additional PRESTIGE, though failing them brings some penalty to the faction being played. Overall S-P's focus will be on mission 2, though it will not be easily achieveable.

Two new decrees become available. These are:

1. Gov. Measure: Send Troops to quell Local Unrest
2. Electorial Decree: Electorial Census​

#1. Allows S-P to deal with a province that has a high degree of unrest (revolting) for a small chance of penalty. While #2. Allows S-P to change one of its government polices such as theEconomic Policy talked about in the previous post.

5. Population Matters

The Regional Census screen provides some imporant information concering the regions under S-P control. Specifically to do with population and their satisfaction/contentment.

anvf00203.jpg

In terms of these matters, you can see from the highlighted column that satisfaction in most regions decreased. Though in two regions it rose slightly. This is very likely an issue with the number of product types being made available for the different classes of population for every region. See the Population Needs table. We will need to keep an eye on this and do something urgently to reserve this trend.

Furthermore two social decrees became available to be played. These are:
  • Limit Nobility Priviledges
  • No Children Work
These actions will have an affect on the population in some respect. More information on these later.

6. Research Efforts

anvf00204.jpg

This will be discussed at length later on, but for now it is enough to know that technology is researched over time. This month S-P discovered these technologies:
  • Currency Regulation
  • Monetary Unions
Which opened up the possibility of researching these subjects:
  • Steam Frigates
  • Explosive Shells
  • Mollasses Extraction Centrifuges
  • Standardized Screw
  • Mechanical Saw
At the moment Im not dedicating any additional effort to research. Though once I have my economy up and some parts of Italy in my possession this will change.

7. Colonial Affairs

As S-P will be looking to create at least one colony immediately we can get an overview of the current situation involving foreign territories in the screen below. The list of multi-colored highlighted regions are those important to S-P, where these regions are within it's Sphere of Influence (SoI). Note there are more territories below that list.

anvf00205b.jpg

A. Lists the Prestige Value of turning these regions into colonies.
B. Shows the current level of Colonial Penetration (CP), that S-P has made in each territory. This is the most important factor of colonial matters and will be explained in further detail in a bit.
C. Shows the primary competing foreign country and its CP compared to S-P for those regions in our SoI.
D. As C, but for any additional (or secondary) competing powers in that region.
E. Shows the cost in State Funds (Money) to maintain S-P's colonial presence. Beside it is the current worldwide rank S-P holds in relation the other great powers.

As an example: Libya will accord S-P, 21 prestige points (PP) if a colony is built there. S-P currently has a CP of only 5 points. Its only rival so far is the Ottoman Empire (OE) which has a CP of 55. So there is a long way to go before a change of influence will allow CP to create any sort of colonial base there.

Somalia is a better bet. Though S-P has a small CP there, there are no rivals currently meddling in that area.

8. Industrial Matters

The maintenance cost for the military is shown as:
  • Army Upkeep = £15 Money/State funds, 2x Mfg Gds, 3x Conscripts, 1x Officer
This is fine but as S-P army grows this will rise.
  • Infrastructure Consumption for fleets & railways is 0 coal used. As no armies were moved.
S-P also receives a new Industrial Decree:
  • Change of Wetlands. This when played will allow a single region to be turned from swamp terrain to a more fertile place for industry to flourish.
As we are not creating any structures this area of national management can be ignored and self-managed until we need to be more proactive.

9. Trade

In short trading if fine, but there are some issues. Trades fail to materialise in UK for chemicals and machine parts and in France for luxury goods. As you can see from the screen below not all of S-P's trades were honoured and must be restated.

anvf00207.jpg

Most stockpiles were okay and will be okay, but to ensure S-P keeps its current levels of commodities we will increase MECHANICAL PARTS and CHEMICALS. While to balance things out and try to gain as much additional PRIVATE CAPITAL as possible, we will export the surplus in almost every commodity S-P can afford to do so.

PRIVATE CAPITAL is important because it is the one thing S-P will need more of, to build NEW more lucrative STRUCTURES.

A summary of specific information on IMPORTS and EXPORTS are stated below:

IMPORTS include:

GB: 1x textiles (£6 private capital total)
FRA: 2x Cereals (£4)
Two Siciles: 1x Cereals (£2), 2x Cotton Wool (£4), 2x Fish (£4)
Tuscany: 1x Cereals (£2)
Bravaria: 2x Iron (£6)
Hesse-Kassel: 5x Coal (£10)
PRU: 5x Coal (£10)
SWE: 2x Wood (£4)
OE: 2x Dyes (£4)
ARG: 4x Cattle (£12)
---------
TOTAL: 29x for £68​

EXPORTS include:

GB: 1x Wines(£4)
Bravaria: 1x Munitions (£5)
Wutternburg: 2x Munitions (£10)
---------
TOTAL: 4x for £19​

In addition there were some price fluctuations in commodities as see below:

+
Supply - £3/unit
Tropical Fruits - £4/unit
Sugar - £4/unit
Wines - £5/unit
Mfg Gds - £7/unit
Mechanical Parts - £9/unit
Luxury Gds - £13/unit
Gold - £13/unit
Gems- £13/unit​

-
Munitions - £4/unit
Textiles - £5/unit​

Checking which commodities are worth more is vital for S-P if they are to maximise its revenue each turn. Its likely that regions will have more structures than can be used, so switching between commidities and products being produced will depend on which ones provide the more income.

In terms of the overall commodities the population of S-P purchased 32 items automatically, though this figure does not match up to the 35 items that the REGIONAL CENSUS indicated.

NATIONAL MARKET:
  • 32x items = £122 Private Capital = Pop Satisfaction +0.27%
In terms of taxed we are making a small amount of around: £55 as explained below:

CORPORATE TAXES
  • Corporate: £7
  • Excise: £17
  • Tariff: £5
----------
TOTAL: £29

OTHER TAXES
  • Transport Fees: £5 (shipping)
  • Census Tax: £13 (for quarter)
  • Martime Tax: £8 (for quarter)
It is really tempting to increase taxe rates to generate more revenue, but S-P must be wary of this as the region of Alpes-Maritimes contentment falls -1% to 49% due to high taxes.

ACTIONS for Early Feb 1850 (next turn)

10. Diplomacy

S-P does not beg
in in a strong position diplomactically. It only has one existing agreement and that is with the Two Sicilies; a MUTUAL SUPPLY treaty. It is time to extend a hand to S-P's fellow Italian states.

anvf00208.jpg

In that vein new COMMERCIAL AGREEMENT treaties are extended to the four ITALIAN STATES, to attempt to strengthen our economy co-operation and also increase friendliness between S-P and those parties.

11. Production & Infrastructure

As S-P cannot build the LUXURY FACTORY strucutre to take a step nearer to one of its goals, to allow it to stop importing from other nations and even export a few items, PRIVATE CAPITAL needs to be increased. S-P could afford a NITRATES FACTORY, but we need to look longer term at this stage.

12. Colonial Missions

S-P still wants to progress in creating a colony. However in needing to accumulate PRIVATE CAPITAL means that the more expensive colonial options cannot be considered. So MERCHANTS are sent to Mogadishu, in order mainly to increase CP, as can be seen below:

anvf00209.jpg

At the top of the screen further colonial information is shown on the colonial situation:
  1. Revolt Risks: Kismayu = 0.4%
  2. Areas of Influence: Somalia
  3. List of Areas with formal (or better) colonies: -
The level of risk is negligable for Kismayu and S-P does not have any colonial actions taking place there so this can be ignored for now.

13. Economy

In terms of the economy S-P sets up some new trades to import and export some commodities in order to balance it's commerce.

anvf00210a.jpg

Exports of Steel, Wine, Fish and Supplies are all increased. While imports of MECHANICAL PARTS and CHEMICALS are sought elsewhere. The other big change is that imports of COAL is decreased by a couple of points from the north German trade area to equalise virtually every commodity S-P requires or has in surplus.

Last edited:
2coats this is both thorough and interesting. I personally feel that balancing the economy is quite easy: Contentment keeps stable even with about half of needs met, thus private capital is never too much of a problem, especially when playing with a country like Sardinia, a lot of whose resources are already being exploited at game start. Since the only major constraint coal, your stocks and consumption may be something you want to plan ahead. I'd advise concentrating your industrial buildings in provinces without railroad access - while constraining your output, it will have the same effect on your input, i.e. most of the time you should be able to avoid that pesky 1 coal of maintenance.

really impressively put together. For coal there is a decision that pops up that seems to restock your supplies but at a cost (as far as I can work out this circumvents both trade and production problems though).

I've just taken your advice to get everything stable (about 18 months into the game) and am finding the economy runs much smoother now.

Such an incredible amount of information - and we're still 1678 turns away from the finish line. ;)

I love the concept of PoN, but I don't know if I'll ever have the time to actually play the darn thing. Perhaps when the kids are in college (they're 5 and 1, respectively, so it might be a while :p).

Anyway, even without playing it, I can still enjoy the AARs. This one is well put together and I like your emphasis on soft power. At least for now.

And apparently I also have a new loki100 AAR to check out, so now I'll mosey over thataways...

This is a fascinating look inside a game I know nothing about. I like the way you break things down. I can see why you're asked to make AARs for games like Warlock. I'll not only be following this one...but will check out some of your other AARs as well. If I understand correctly, PoN is turn based correct?

You guys doing these AARs have made me restart the game. I'm playing a Prussian game and am up to 1860 in 4 days. My computer is a little newer.

1 question - I put commercial ships into the Gulf of Mexico but I could not trade with the regions that were served by that commercial box. I then put it into the commercial box just SW of Great Britain and am still having no luck. What am I missing?

Great AAR. I don't think you'll ever get the largest army in Europe. I'm building like crazy in Prussia and Austria keeps outstripping me.

/wave