• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

slugo

Colonel
35 Badges
Aug 29, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
so there i was just starting the 2nd year of a great war btwn russia(me) and france vs uk, turkey, , prussia, and netherlands. i had just turned the tide, and all that was left was the long slog to victory. then i notice my french allies settled for a great war capitulation peace, and i was on my own. i was so mad at the french, i started thinking up ways to hurt them when i finally won. a month passed and i win a few battles that had been raging, and i can't find any more british troops in india. i look on the diplo page and uk has 4 brigades!

seems when france settled for peace they did me a huge favor, as all my enemies had their armed forces cut. needless to say i was no longer mad at france. however i did feel that that outcome was an exploit of sorts.
since the capitulation has 0 war score it's easy for someone who is looking to white peace out to get the capitulation, which in turn cripples the other combatants.

shouldn't the alliance leader be the only one able to use the GWC peace settlement to avoid this?

You can't leave a great war without accepting great war reparations. I guess in your game you had a good war score and France settled it with the other super powers. At that point you already have the upper hand among the super powers so it's not really an exploit.

so there i was just starting the 2nd year of a great war btwn russia(me) and france vs uk, turkey, , prussia, and netherlands. i had just turned the tide, and all that was left was the long slog to victory. then i notice my french allies settled for a great war capitulation peace, and i was on my own. i was so mad at the french, i started thinking up ways to hurt them when i finally won. a month passed and i win a few battles that had been raging, and i can't find any more british troops in india. i look on the diplo page and uk has 4 brigades!

seems when france settled for peace they did me a huge favor, as all my enemies had their armed forces cut. needless to say i was no longer mad at france. however i did feel that that outcome was an exploit of sorts.
since the capitulation has 0 war score it's easy for someone who is looking to white peace out to get the capitulation, which in turn cripples the other combatants.

shouldn't the alliance leader be the only one able to use the GWC peace settlement to avoid this?
I also commented on this in my "Start me off on my first game" thread. But in my case, not only did one of my allies settled peace, but a BUNCH of them received capitulation against UK and then enemy forces vanished like thin air. lol

You can't leave a great war without accepting great war reparations. I guess in your game you had a good war score and France settled it with the other super powers. At that point you already have the upper hand among the super powers so it's not really an exploit.

yeah, that's how its set up, but i think it's a bit gamey. now that i think about it, i understand why they don't want the option of white peace, but then they should either have to settle for their war goal, or wait for the allied leader to end it.

i had so many war goals, it still took me a year to finish the war lol if france couldn't peace out, and the enemy armies didn't vanish, it would've been just an epic great war, like ww1. and who knows, they might've turned the tide against me. by the end of the war i was over $1 million in debt. another year or two and great powers would've been bankrupt and ruined. empires would fall, maybe everyone involved on both sides. leaving the usa and the emerging asian powers to take the europeans spot at the top.

actually, nevermind, that would've mad me mad :)

Not sure how you'd be in so much debt. I've finished two games now and I was so rich at the end that I was making 20k+ at peace time with full maintenance and had millions stashed away to weather a war.

However, unlike you, my great wars lasted much longer (4-7 years).

By the way, what's the penalty of bankruptcy? Just a free CB and increased interest rate?

Not sure how you'd be in so much debt. I've finished two games now and I was so rich at the end that I was making 20k+ at peace time with full maintenance and had millions stashed away to weather a war.

However, unlike you, my great wars lasted much longer (4-7 years).

By the way, what's the penalty of bankruptcy? Just a free CB and increased interest rate?

You lose a lot of prestige.

I think this 'exploit' has maybe been put in deliberately to stop big wars between big countries with massive armies
so they dont go on forever. Imagine a late game Russia and UK fighting Germany and USA. It would take forever.

This mechanic makes it easier for the (already) dominating side to conquer some land and make the great war great without lasting 20 years.

I think this 'exploit' has maybe been put in deliberately to stop big wars between big countries with massive armies
so they dont go on forever. Imagine a late game Russia and UK fighting Germany and USA. It would take forever.

This mechanic makes it easier for the (already) dominating side to conquer some land and make the great war great without lasting 20 years.
Which is why they should do something about bankruptcy. A bankrupt country should not be able to continue to afford full maintenance FFS.

I dunno, late war countries can have oodles of money stashed. My latest late game USA has something like 80 million so I can run in the red basically as long as I like. Even the AI can accumulate several million relatively easily, which can power a war for many years. The fact that they can peace out and get gw reparations is rather gamey, agreed, even if it wasn't intentional.

I dunno, late war countries can have oodles of money stashed. My latest late game USA has something like 80 million so I can run in the red basically as long as I like. Even the AI can accumulate several million relatively easily, which can power a war for many years. The fact that they can peace out and get gw reparations is rather gamey, agreed, even if it wasn't intentional.
Reparations should be paid to everyone and not just the war leader.

And almost all non-Great Powers involved in The Great War bankrupt at least once during the war. And aside from the really rich ones (i.e. UK), the Great Powers also tend to be heavily in debt.

I wouldn't call it an exploit, since as others pointed out the war has already been won, but it needs fixing. In my last great war against russia, they were forced to sign 4-5 treaties of reparations. If I were paradox, I would make it so that only the alliance leader have the right to demand both monetary reparations AND disarmament.

Could one of the people who has encountered this perhaps post a savegame shortly before the bug happens in the tech support forum?

i don't think this is a bug. it is probably wad, but it is an exploit if things work out right

Well, if it is an exploit then it is not working as designed and it should be fixed. ;)

If it isn't an exploit that can be easily confirmed by one of the devs, who likely monitor the bug reports forums more closely than this one here.

Either way, the devs should know of this.

ps: if it is WAD, then I'd say that the design is faulty, but that is just my opinion.
ps2: if you have trouble posting the samegame you could mail it to me and I'll do it for you

-edit-
of course I mean the bug report and not the tech support forums

Last edited:
This problem pretty much ruined my 'current' game as the USA. Has there been any official commentary on the subject?