• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would love an ipad/iphone app that would suck all the info from a save file and present them in a nice manageable way so I can get my situation anywhere and plan my next moves. Obviously if they make the game playable on ipad that would be useless...

That would be really nice! (if it was an android app too!)

Playing just now, I think that implementation would be that of a "Title Exchange". Suppose you have a good loyal mayor and you want to reward him by giving him a county. Instead of the Mayor being Count of X and Mayor of Y and having him rule two separate places far away, you should be able to tell him that he can be a count and must pass on his Mayor title to whoever is next in line.

This is by far the best suggestion I've heard

Kind of a fringe thing for flavor:- relics.

Christians could find relics in the middle east (or elsewhere if there is historical basis for it) and gain piety and prestige. These could be gifted to others such as your liege for relationship bonus, to the pope or orthodox patriarch for piety, or used to put in your own churches or to build a new church around and give it a greatly increased bonus to piety and prestige per month.

Muslims could sell relics at a high price to the infidel scum.

Kind of a fringe thing for flavor:- relics.

Christians could find relics in the middle east (or elsewhere if there is historical basis for it) and gain piety and prestige. These could be gifted to others such as your liege for relationship bonus, to the pope or orthodox patriarch for piety, or used to put in your own churches or to build a new church around and give it a greatly increased bonus to piety and prestige per month.

Muslims could sell relics at a high price to the infidel scum.

Pssst...
You can found the Holy Grail... But you must own a special Barony

I really like being able to manage the dynasty. If I am the head of the family I should be able to name all the children and approve all marriages, that is unless one of my children inherits enough power that they want to contend with the throne.

I do like the revolt effect that would cause all other duchies to be allowed to choose which side to join, meaning you better look after your vassals a lot better.

1. Multiple lieges. If I'm the Duke of Toulouse (vassal of France) and I inherit the County of Tyrol (vassal of Bavaria), Tyrol should not transfer to Toulouse and France. Rather I should be the vassal of the Duke of Bavaria (the vassal of the HRE) with regard to my obligations as Count of Tyrol, i.e. I owe him taxes/levies from that province only, and my Duchy obligations to the King of France are completely separate. The Kings of England were, of course, also vassals of the Kings of France in the formers' capacity as Dukes of Aquitane and Anjou.
2. Gratitude and Grudges. If I install a son-in-law in a Duchy, for example, he should be extremely grateful to me and be willing to follow me in other campaigns (rather than betray me!). Likewise, those who I oust and otherwise scheme against should hate me. This is the era of chivalry, honour, and obligations after all. These things could depend on traits etc. of course.
3. Suggesting marriages. It is very annoying when a) Your sons are in another realm (cannot be invited) and either fail to marry or marry someone terrible, and b) when a female member of your dynasty has inherited a title (or is in direct succession to), and fails to marry matrilineally. It seems odd that as a powerful lord, I cannot influence the marriage of my own children and close relatives.

Also, the Dynasty tab idea sounds great.

The biggest thing that bothers me about this game is the stupid way your vassals and other AI characters behave.

Why does a one province count think he can get away with becoming independent from a huge nation like France? What would be nice is, if he's unhappy with your rule or just ambitious, he'd try to make an alliance with other unhappy vassals or even rival kings, and then try to break away. Perhaps if he has the "insane" attribute, he might try to go it alone; right now, they play as if they're all insane. It just gets old watching weak vassals try to break away from powerful kingdoms, over and over and over. And they don't care that every time they tried it in the past, they ended up in the oubliette.

One game, I had a niece who had a weak claim on Hungary, so I had a long and expensive war against Hungary to put her on the throne. Then, when a couple of Hungarian duchies tried to break away, I helped her put them down. How does she pay me back? I think you can see where this is going. When one of my duchies tried to become independent, for some reason she supported my disloyal vassal. Even with Hungary's help, this vassal had no chance in hell of winning a war against my huge empire. After I kick both their asses, my deceitful niece acts as if nothing happened, and wants me to help her put down more of her disloyal vassals.

I really like being able to manage the dynasty. If I am the head of the family I should be able to name all the children and approve all marriages, that is unless one of my children inherits enough power that they want to contend with the throne.

I do like the revolt effect that would cause all other duchies to be allowed to choose which side to join, meaning you better look after your vassals a lot better.

Maybe there can be a system similar to "crown authority" for dynasties. The more prestige or diplomacy level the patriarch or matriarch has, the more his or her family will obey (would make sense that rulers should be more diplomacy focused than anything else). In turn having more authority over your family would unlock things such as suggesting marriage for family members that are outside your lands/court, plotting more complex dynasty ambitions (dynasty wide ambitions should exist as it would give family members more reasons to work together), and being able to choose names for grandchildren, etc.

Can you find an example of a Russian noble marrying a Portuguese noble in the Middle Ages? What about a English noble marrying a Ethiopian one?
Yaroslav the Wise of Kiev married one daughter to the King of France and (possibly) another into the English royal family. The other two went to more expected destinations: Norway and Hungary.

Sviatoslav II of Kiev married a courtier from Trier.

Vladimir II Monomakh married the daughter of Harold Godwinson.

So not quite Portugal but also not just next door either.

I guess the best way to represent this in the game is that for the purposes of marriage calculation prestige should degrade with distance.

I doubt the Grand Prince of Kiev asked all the eligible girls in the world to submit their Wonderlic scores when choosing a bride, but clearly some marriages were made with distant people (for prestige? for dynastic ties?) while most were made for narrow political considerations. It's not that the game is messed up as much as it is that players spend too much time trying to build ubermenschen.

Dynasty to dynasty relations would be great. Start dynastic feuds that last for generations, but mostly threw intrigue, opportunities for events like Romeo + Juliet scenario, dynasty x member killed my brother lets go string up a couple of his dynasty members and kill them or other events.

Yaroslav the Wise of Kiev married one daughter to the King of France and (possibly) another into the English royal family. The other two went to more expected destinations: Norway and Hungary.

Sviatoslav II of Kiev married a courtier from Trier.

Vladimir II Monomakh married the daughter of Harold Godwinson.

So not quite Portugal but also not just next door either.

I guess the best way to represent this in the game is that for the purposes of marriage calculation prestige should degrade with distance.

I doubt the Grand Prince of Kiev asked all the eligible girls in the world to submit their Wonderlic scores when choosing a bride, but clearly some marriages were made with distant people (for prestige? for dynastic ties?) while most were made for narrow political considerations. It's not that the game is messed up as much as it is that players spend too much time trying to build ubermenschen.

Yes these things happened but they weren't common. If marriages with people far far away from your lands are to happen then it should be with high ranking nobility. A king can be able to marry anyone he pleases (more or less) but a Earl from England shouldn't really be looking for Brides in Russia or Greece when there are plenty right in his backyard. These things would make land inheritance more of a local thing so that you don't end up with counts and dukes owning holdings all over the world.

Dynasty to dynasty relations would be great. Start dynastic feuds that last for generations, but mostly threw intrigue, opportunities for events like Romeo + Juliet scenario, dynasty x member killed my brother lets go string up a couple of his dynasty members and kill them or other events.

Would be interesting to have dynasty ambitions such as "eliminate X dynasty" and you would try to find ways to have members of X dynasty be removed from political positions, have titles revoked/usurped, or be killed, all in the name of revenge.

Yes these things happened but they weren't common. If marriages with people far far away from your lands are to happen then it should be with high ranking nobility. A king can be able to marry anyone he pleases (more or less) but a Earl from England shouldn't really be looking for Brides in Russia or Greece when there are plenty right in his backyard. These things would make land inheritance more of a local thing so that you don't end up with counts and dukes owning holdings all over the world.

In one point I give you right... The AI should prefer the own culture and/or region in marriages. This is no question I think. This is logical.
But it should be still possible to marry someone at the other end of the map. This is my opinion. There were always exceptions.

But dynasty relations sound nice yes.