• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Krautkopf

Colonel
35 Badges
Aug 16, 2010
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Pride of Nations
  • 500k Club
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I am currently planning another Britain game, grand campaign 1836, with AHD installed, to recreate the mighty Empire and paint the world in red.
However, one thing bothered me in my last campaigns: Italy and Germany sometimes did not form. I want to "roleplay" British balance of power politics dealing with the European powers of the late 19th century, and for this purpose I want both Italy and Germany forming in-time.

My plan now is to form them by triggering the according event.
TAG switch to Sardinia-Piemont or Prussia, open console, type "event xxx" (I should get the event number form the files, I think), TAG switch back.
This way it should be possible to have Italy and Germany whenever I want to have them.

Two doubts remain. First, is it possible at all to do that? I mean, can I trigger unifications by event without the necessary prerequisites (e.g. for Prussia, Alsace-Lorraine conquered, won hegemony war against Austria...) in place?
And second, I read that TAG switching causes lots of problems with the AI. So does that mean if I TAG switch to Sardinia, form Italy, TAG switch back to UK and resume playing, will Italy be a dead country without AI, sitting there and doing nothing? That of course would spoil my nice plan...

Somebody tried something like this before? Somebody can spare some experience?

You can trigger the events without actually switching I believe. The national unification event is 11100, so you could type "event 11100 SAR" for Sardinia to form Italy or type "event 11100 PRU" to do it for Prussia, but I have found a problem with forming nations this way. That is that if a state that is part of the union nation is in the sphere of any great power they won't join when you execute the event, this includes Hannover, the south German states and most the Italian states. However there is a plus side, using this event, if you sphere all the nations of a union tag you can use this event to unify them while still keeping them sphered, kind of like the decisions from PDM.

Edit: If your really desperate to form Germany and Italy you could always use one of the gunboat events that knocks people out of their master's sphere, then the unity event.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input, heroicnoodles!
I tried this weekend, faced some problems, and found you are pretty much rigt with the SOI issue.

So first, the German unification did not work as I planned. The historic decisions (!) to form Germany, i.e. The Three Hurrays and so on, do not have event numbers listed anywhere (being decisions, not events) so I could not trigger them. It was possible to trigger the 11100 national unification event, but exactly as you described, all the German minors who where in other SOIs missed out. I tried to fix that with "petition to annexation" events (60120 and 60130 I think) but these turned out strange, because the minors in question would join their SOI master instead of their cultural union (i.e. Hannover was annexed by UK and Bavaria by Austria, Baden was in no SOI and so the event showed no effect). So this does not work as I wished.

Please let me ask, which gunboat event is there, as you mentioned, knocking puppets out of the SOI?

In contrast, Italy worked like a charm via the Garibaldi/Redskirts event (11103 if I remember correct). Just trigger this event, voila, Italy appears (without the Venetia region, though, but that is fine)