• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ind2bc

General
97 Badges
Jul 28, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
So i'm playing as france because i thought i'd take it easy and conquer europe. So i have 14 PUs ranging in size from habsblob down to opm saxony and all the iberians. I had PU's with the iberians back in the early 1400's and it is now 1650ish and i haven't inherited a single one of my PUs and i have had 8 different rulers and i was only at war once when a ruler died so i know why i didn't inherit then. All i want to know is WTF?

ugh i hate the paradox gods right now

Keep those relations at 200 and hope. Inheritance is partially luck-based. In case you aren't aware, you can know at all times what the succession laws are in a given country by hovering over their leader's name - meaning that when you're in a PU, hovering over your king's name on their diplomacy popup will list whether they will end the PU, continue the PU, or be inherited. Trust is another big factor, so my favorite thing is to add to Sphere of Influence; I'm not sure if the Diplomacy boost will directly assist your inheritance chances, but the calls to arms that you can honor certainly will. Also, keep some troops stationed in their country and help them KO rebels, that helps both relations and Trust from what I've been able to tell.

The biggest factor in determining your inheritance chance appears to be the diplomacy skill of your heir. I have found that heirs with diplo 3-4 almost never inherit, ones with diplo 5 might, and diplo 6+ almost always do. I believe you also must have decent relations with your PU. This is usually pretty easy as I always ally them as soon as I get them.

The biggest factor in determining your inheritance chance appears to be the diplomacy skill of your heir. I have found that heirs with diplo 3-4 almost never inherit, ones with diplo 5 might, and diplo 6+ almost always do. I believe you also must have decent relations with your PU. This is usually pretty easy as I always ally them as soon as I get them.

i had a diplo 8 heir and nothing and relations with 14 10 of the biggest countries in europe isn't easy haha

i had a diplo 8 heir and nothing and relations with 14 10 of the biggest countries in europe isn't easy haha

Are you at war every time your king dies? This can happen often if you border a horde. It may be silly, but you cannot inherit while at war. That is always what stops me anyways.

I think I have inherited once during god knows how many campaigns. One thing that REALLY annoys me is claims on thrones. If I was dec with claim CB I always lose my claim before I get it. For example, I often wardec Sicily, and by the time I start sieging the claim is gone.

I never have any luck inheriting either. Even when it says I'll inherit a nation, I usually don't. The entire system is strange and opaque. But it's not all bad. If you can form a personal union with a rather large country, then they will make a powerful ally, even without inheriting it.

Are you at war every time your king dies? This can happen often if you border a horde. It may be silly, but you cannot inherit while at war. That is always what stops me anyways.

I was at war 1 time and i know i can't inherit while at war it was a war for sweden's throne so i had to take it

I think I have inherited once during god knows how many campaigns. One thing that REALLY annoys me is claims on thrones. If I was dec with claim CB I always lose my claim before I get it. For example, I often wardec Sicily, and by the time I start sieging the claim is gone.

you keep the claim if you started the claim on "x"s throne before you lost it

I never have any luck inheriting either. Even when it says I'll inherit a nation, I usually don't. The entire system is strange and opaque. But it's not all bad. If you can form a personal union with a rather large country, then they will make a powerful ally, even without inheriting it.

Or send you insults because castille can somehow build an army as big as france's when france has grand army and is over the limit of troops and it's only 1430

Hight prestige, hight trust, high relations, high diplomacy skill, low infamy, bigger army, bigger nation (in terms of provinces)....all these things is what we players believe does play in when it comes to inheriting. Although nothing is guaranteed, having these things in order should definetly increase your chances drastically.

Hight prestige, hight trust, high relations, high diplomacy skill, low infamy, bigger army, bigger nation (in terms of provinces)....all these things is what we players believe does play in when it comes to inheriting. Although nothing is guaranteed, having these things in order should definetly increase your chances drastically.

High legitimacy definitely matters as well from what I've seen. Depending on how he's gone about gathering those PUs this definitely could be a problem. Also, in my experience, it seems more like the difference between your prestige and theirs matters more than how high yours actually is (with the obvious caveat that yours must at least be positive).

For me, it seems very random. Playing as Bohemia and Emperor, I got a pretty big domain. The Byz managed to capture all of Greece and started expending into the golden hord. I PU them, and when my ruler died, his son inherited the Byz empire. For the fun of it, I reloaded and waited for my ruler to die again. It took 4 generations that time along (I played that one much father, since I didn't want to have so much "free" land at that point.)

I think culture group is important as well. As Castille, I had 3 PUs: Aragon, Burgundy and Holland. When my monarch died, I inherited Aragon but Holland and Burgundy continued with the PU.

There was some evidence that Trust helps a lot, I believe.

Well thank you all very much. I knew most of this it's just i have never gone 200 years without inheriting at least one and was in shock i hadn't at least gotten the OPM as i knew the colonizers would rival me in size until i started to inherit the smaller ones

I've actually had no difficulty in inheriting my PUs in the current game (well, partly because I reloaded a couple of times if ruler death occurred mid war - what can I say, life's too short).

For me, it's low infamy (Mine is always below 5, usually only a point or 3), high relations (175-200), & time that seem important - no one knows of course. I inherited 18 in 1581, 15 in 1595 & 19 nations in 1641. Never had a sniff prior to 1581. The most recent inheritance was with a diplo 3 heir inheriting. My SOI has been BIG at all times, too.

I suspect size may matter. I'm far bigger than anyone else (cough).

I can't make out quite what is is that causes inheritance. For me, I know that if I just wait long enough, keep PU relations up, infamy down, I will eventually inherit PUs.

When I do inherit, what I have noticed is that it tends to be in great swathes of nations. Those I inherit tend to be (mostly) bunched close to each other :

So, in 1581 it was Albania, Auvergne, Brittany, Byzantium, Corsica, Croatia, Denmark, Gotland, Guyenne, Holstein, Hungary, Lithuania, Mazovia, Moldavia, Norway, Poland, Ragusa & Sweden.

In 1595 Augsburg, Austria, Baden, Bavaria, Bohemia, Bosnia, Brandenburg, Brunswick, Cleves, Cyprus, Frankfurt, Hesse, Lorraine, Luneburg, Saxe-Lauenburg (most of central Europe).

In 1641 Aachen, Aquileia, Baden, Brabant, Flanders, Frankfurt, Genoa, Magdeburg, Mantua, Modena, Montenegro, Naples, the Palatinate, Provence, Savoy, Sicily, Tuscany, Venice.

(In this game I've PU'd virtually all the monarchies of Europe, pretty obviously) I have yet to inherit Friesland, Holland, Murom, Muscovy, Pskov, Ryazan, Smolensk, Tver, Yaroslavl. Pskov has been in a PU since 1499, which puts the boot to the idea that time is an over-riding factor in inheriting, but then again, the natiosn I've yet to inherit are (except for Holland & Friesland) pretty much clumped, it's pretty noticeable on my map.

It's pretty random. Even with high trust, low infamy, and high diplo (ruler and heir), it's quite possible to inherit none. The tooltip on inheritance is also bull, since it's wrong (I used the kill ruler console command to test it). IMO, the inheritance thing appeared to be rolled every two years or so. As a result, if your ruler dies in a few months, nothing will change what countries will be inherited if you reload AND your ruler still dies within the same period.