• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Garuda

Village Idiot
51 Badges
Dec 14, 2002
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
I have the vanilla game and have played V2 somewhat sporradically since its release. I never found it to be quite as enjoyable as my beloved Vicky 1. nevertheless, I am toying with firing the game up again and wondered whether AHD expansion is a must have or not?

I notice that to get AHD I'll probably need to but the game all over again. The gold edition VicII+AHD is much the same price as a digital download of AHD alone anyway. I don't know whether a digital download will be compatible with my original boxed version. For instance, does a Steam download of AHD work over a non steam copy of the original game?

Steam won't even let you buy AHD if you don't have V2 on Steam.

The Gamersgate AHD version works fine with the CD-V2 version. It's what I also have.

Okay thanks.

But what does the AHD expansion add to the game? What new features or improvements?

EDIT: Found a short description of what AHD adds and have ordered a boxed copy of the gold edition.

Last edited:
BTW the gold edition is a CD version of Viccy 2 and a Gammersgate Code for AHD

Seriously? You buy a boxed copy and still get lumbered with having to negotiate a digital download? Bugger!!!

So I now have two boxed copies of Vicky II and I'm still stuck with having to do battle with performing a download on my crappy internet connection. :angry:

On the plus side, will GG automatically update my game with patches?

Okay, so my Gold Edition box set arrived. I uninstalled my existing Vic II and reinsalled from my new disc. Fire her up and realise you're right - AHD isn't on the disc (though the box intimates that it is).

Indeed, you have to download AHD from Gamers Gate (not that there is any instruction in the Gold Edition to inform you of that). Anyhow I downloaded AHD, patched up to 2.31 and have a checksum that's nothing like what the 2.31 thread says I should have. Bugger. :(

What's your checksum? I also get a different one from the one in the 2.31 thread and I also got my AHD from Gamersgate. I haven't tried multiplayer with it yet, but I'm very happy with it.

What's your checksum? I also get a different one from the one in the 2.31 thread and I also got my AHD from Gamersgate. I haven't tried multiplayer with it yet, but I'm very happy with it.

My checksum is SXIU.

Hm, I checked again and I do have the proper checksum after all (OWZA). I must have made a mistake the first time I checked.

The other thing is, when I downloaded it from Gamersgate a couple of weeks ago I'm pretty sure it was already patched up to 2.31...

Hm, I checked again and I do have the proper checksum after all (OWZA). I must have made a mistake the first time I checked.

The other thing is, when I downloaded it from Gamersgate a couple of weeks ago I'm pretty sure it was already patched up to 2.31...

There should be an instruction somewhere to show the correct order of installation - i.e do I need patch 1.3 before downloading AHD or does AHD install over a clean Vic II? Do I add sprite packs before or after AHD etcetera. I'm sure this must have a lot to do with why I have the wrong checksum??

As it is there isn't even an instruction to inform you that AHD isn't included on the disc, nor how or where to acquire it.

You don't need to patch base V2 before installing AHD, just make sure you've got a clean install. Sprite packs, depending on which ones you have, may or may not be good to install before AHD, so without knowing which ones you have I'd say play it safe and do them last. They may also be why you have a different checksum, so if the game gets up and running fine, you should have nothing to worry about.

I noticed the checksum thing as well. Whenever you install a new patch I think the first time you start up it'll have the wrong checksum. Just restart and it'll fix it.

You're absolutely right. Re-started it and now I get the correct checksum. :)

I hadn't done this before because I'm busy getting my arse kicked by the AI in HoI3 at the moment. I hope to fire up a Vicky AHD game as soon as my Italian army finishes surrendering to the French. Il Duce is busy washing the white flag in readiness as we speak.

You're absolutely right. Re-started it and now I get the correct checksum. :)

I hadn't done this before because I'm busy getting my arse kicked by the AI in HoI3 at the moment. I hope to fire up a Vicky AHD game as soon as my Italian army finishes surrendering to the French. Il Duce is busy washing the white flag in readiness as we speak.

One would think that Il Duce would always have it at the ready...