• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does it look the Western front?

Kurt_Steiner > The western front is still pretty mobile so I didn't find it necessary to upload a picture of it quite yet. I can assure you that Paris hasn't been taken yet. :)

Rommelstein > Yes, it indeed is the mod 1914. I just love it. :D I never thought of making this AAR using DH full or AAR mod... After all, there aren't that many mod 1914 AARs out there at the moment, am I right?

Looks very good so far. Nice mix of gameplay and historybook styles. Hopefully, your plan will work and the Entente crushed from the Persian Gulf to the Pillars of Heracles!

Kurt_Steiner > The western front is still pretty mobile so I didn't find it necessary to upload a picture of it quite yet. I can assure you that Paris hasn't been taken yet. :)

Rommelstein > Yes, it indeed is the mod 1914. I just love it. :D I never thought of making this AAR using DH full or AAR mod... After all, there aren't that many mod 1914 AARs out there at the moment, am I right?

Yeah, I guess you're right. :)

Milites > Why thank you! At first I had some difficulties how to write, and more importantly what to write. Then I did some research and to be honest, I like it this way. It might take longer to write the updates but at least there will be more in them. :)

Rommelstein > I mentioned the game details on the opening post by the way, if you didn't remember :p

Anyway, I'm afraid there won't be an update today. My flu hasn't gotten any better yet. Stay tuned though, there's plenty of time next week to update ;)

Good luck with this!

I didn't get the memo.:p I don't follow the forum, I do a sweep from time to time and otherwise use the my threads function. So I missed that you'd started.

An Oriental Struggle
OttomanCoatOfArms.png

Chapter V. Beginning of the Unknown

Late August, 1914.

War has broken in Europe due to the complex alliance treaties between European great powers. Austria-Hungary and Germany on the one side - France, Russia and Britain on the other. It all started when Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, encouraged by the Serbian rejection of their ultimatum. Regardless that Russia and Austria-Hungary had agreed of status quo in the Balkans some years before, Austria-Hungary invaded Serbia. This lead to a rapid execution of the defensive pacts. The Ottoman Empire is still neutral, though they signed a secret alliance with the Germans. Tensions in the Ottoman government rise as Grand Vizier Said Halim favours strict neutrality while the others, especially Enver Pasha, are militaristic and irredeemably pro-German. Said Halim Pasha has even threatened to resign but the Sultan-Caliph pled him to stay in office, for he is the only one he can turn to. At this point, war between Ottoman Empire and the Entente seems unavoidable.

f2hrX.png

Grand Vizier Said Halim

In the first days of September, Britain forced Chile to sell their battleship 'Almirante Latorre' to them. Damn those Chileans!
MPBVS.png

Kingdom of Spain has proclaimed neutrality as well, good for them.
sxVqN.png

On the 11th of September, the German High Command had to admit that the Schlieffen plan had totally failed. Having not even managed to wipe out Belgium, there was an urge to change the leadership.
OY7dk.png

An utter failure. *

Later, as it became clear that a swift victory could not be achieved, German forces in the Western Front dug in and built defensive fortifications to keep the land they somehow managed to occupy. German strategy has been catastrophic, their high command is clueless. And WE are supposed to JOIN them?!? Nonetheless, War Minister Ismail Enver still believes in German victory.
U1nUc.png

In spite of the new defence tactics, the Germans managed to grab Chamount and Reims before November. They also begun an offensive against Russia. Even Grand Vizier Said Halim had a short pro-war moment when hearing the news from Europe.
FySQG.png

The next day, the German ambassador brought an enquiry for the Ottoman cabinet. Now was the time to decide whether to join the war or not. Enver Pasha wasn't really that of a fanatic, but he dreamt of a new Turkish Empire that would spread to the East and unite the Turkic peoples in Central Asia. Germany had already given support to the Ottomans, sent military advisors to train their army and offered resources to supply and enhance it. But Ottoman Turkey was desperate for money. To sweeten the deal and force the Ottomans into alliance with them, in addition to the two cruises, Germany paid over 5,000,000 million pounds in gold, securing the Ottoman Empire as their ally. But the Ottoman Cabinet was wary about joining the war, so Enver gave Souchon secret orders to raid Russian ports in the Black Sea, leading the Empire into the war bypassing the Cabinet itself. The War had spread in the Orient.

bWF3g.png

3HVyt.png

Almost instantly after the Ottomans had proclaimed their alliace with the Central Powers, Germany sent blueprints to assist the Ottoman war effort. (note: German AI will send me more blueprints in the future, I shall not upload pictures concerning it any longer.)
DpZin.png

The Empire is at WAR

Ismail Enver had succesfully lead his country into war with the Entente. Not everyone is enthustiastic about the war but no-one dared to stand against the ambitious Minister of War. Grand Vizier Said Halim has lost the remains of his prestige, and has become a mere puppet, just like the sultan. Three years later he would resign. The Three Pashas consulted the Sultan-Caliph conserning the conditions of defeat. Joining the war sealed the fate of the Ottoman Empire.

1GsWw.png

State of the Army:​

The Ottoman Army is separated into three different main forces; one near the Caucasus (lead by General Ismail Enver), another one in Mesopotamia (lead by Field Marshal von der Goltz) and the last one next to Sinai (lead by Field Marshal Liman von Sanders). The Germans are urging the Ottomans to launch offensives in all the fronts not caring about the weather what so ever. Ismail Enver is eager to start the conquest of Central Asia, perhaps too eager. Before starting the attack some of the divisions need more troops. Currently our undeployed manpower is 330.000 men - our divisions need about 103.000 men to be in full strength. Most of the divisions that lack manpower are stationed in defensive positions, so it won't postpone the attack too much. Most of the attacking forces have been upgraded to infantry of 1912 and given Krupp artillery brigades (artillery of 1912).**

kV27n.jpg

Ottoman troops at artillery training

On the 5th of November, a former puppet of ours, Hejaz declared that they would stay neutral, questioning the Ottoman authority in Arabia.
Tz1l5.png

A week later, Asir and Yemen also declared themselves neutral, bringing Ottoman governance in the Red Sea to an end.​

On the very same day, Field Marshal von der Goltz started an offensive against the British garrison in Kuwait. There is a small oil field in Kuwait City that would prove most useful. After just three days and seven hours of fighting, the British had to surrender. Our first victory! Huzzah!
Fxfhi.png

eCdrk.png

Situation; November 13th, 1914
cdoiN.png

---- next; A Holy War?

*(I used an autosave to look for better results, but always when Germany could destroy Belgium, they decided not to send the Mittelmeer division to me, which then wouldn't work out because I already told you I got them on my last update.)
**(I started to build 6 artillery brigades in March, didn't just inform you guys ;>)

Last edited:
I've seen bad beginnings for Germany in many WW1 AARs but this one is... shameful.

One time when I played as Ottomans just for fun, Germany occupied Belgium and the French had hard time keeping them out of Paris. After Russia had fallen, Germany easily crushed the French and captured Paris :S.... It's impossible to read the mind of German AI :D

E: It is possible, and extremely likely, that Germany will gain more land in the west, and also start to win battles in the east .. just saying! ;-D

Last edited:
An Oriental Struggle
OttomanCoatOfArms.png

Chapter VI. Jihad

The Central Powers at War!
DlqKd.png

mdwO6.jpg

The Ottoman Empire attacked Russia and joined the war on Germany's side. The Army Corps of Mesopotamia, under the command of Field Marshal von der Goltz, achieved the first victory of the Ottoman Army in the war. After the success, the German High Command encouraged the Ottomans for further offensive manoeuvres, even though winter is coming. Because of lack of intelligence, the exact number of Russian troops in the Caucasian frontier is uncertain. Also, the geography is harsh due to the mountains, not to mention the lack of proper infrastructure. In order to please their German ally, Ismail Enver decided to launch an offensive in December, just before the blizzards hit.
For years, the Kaiser has been trying to prove himself a friend of muslims, not just those of the Ottoman Empire but also the vast muslim population in the British Empire (Egypt and British Raj for instance). If Egypt or India were to revolt, Britain would crumble. An idea of proclaiming Jihad, a Holy War, against the Entente wasn't an idea of the Ottoman cabinet, but of the German High Command. Ismail Enver considers this an opportunity to spread Ottoman influence in Central Asia.

sRsnH.jpg

Wilhelm II during a state visit to Ottoman Empire

A major setback in Ottoman strategy.

Our eastern neighbour, Persia, has been forced to let the Entente move their troops in some of their areas. We might have to alter our plans a bit, so that Russia cannot advance into Mesopotamia behind our backs. Ismail Enver, in spite of the new situation, will still execute the original attack plan, at least the general idea of it.
egY59.png

The Army stationed in Van was ordered to attack the former Persian territory, now occupied by Russia. From there they shall try to go for the Baku oil fields. Ismail Enver shall start his offensive earlier than supposed and try to drive the Russians out of Kars. Three infantry divisions, lead by Lt. General Kress von Kressenstein, from Palestine are being redeployed to Van and are ought to arrive on the 30th of November.

uRCPr.png

Kress von Kressenstein is a part of the German military mission lead by Liman von Sanders. Originally, Kress von Kressenstein was supposed to assist Liman von Sanders in capturing the Suez canal but due to the last events he was sent to join a more important front, the Russian front. The invasion of Egypt is about to begin. Ottoman intelligence shows no sight of enemy troops in the Sinai peninsula, Suez might be unprotected.

hVzCW.jpg

Kress von Kressenstein

Finally, on the 22nd of November, the Sultan-Caliph proclaimed a holy war against the governments of Russia, France, and Britain. There are doubts that it will have any effect on the muslim populations anywhere, but as the Germans promised to provide more support, Ismail Enver placed the pen into the Sultan's hand.

AN9wc.png

After securing the oil fields of Abadan, von der Goltz was handed a new mission by the German High Command. His objective is to advance through Persian territory, deep into India in order to wreack havoc and most importantly, to try to make the muslim population there revolt. With limited resources and lack of adequate equipment, this mission will be extremely hard to complete.
LkId5.jpg

von der Goltz

Shortly after declaring the Jihad, other muslim countries responded. Some disliked the idea, some just ignored.
cz06U.png

Invasion of Egypt

Ismail Enver has high hopes of the campaign of Egypt. With the Jihad proclaimed, the Egyptians may take arms and fight the British, helping us significantly in liberating them. On the 1st of December the First Army started their march across the desert of Sinai Peninsula. Their primary goal is to occupy Suez, then later advance into Egypt, take out Cairo and Alexandria. Long live the Sultan!

RmCt1.png

In order to prevent turmoil in their Crown Jewel, the British promised to give more autonomy for India. This could endanger our invasion to India...
JRMtm.png

The Battle of Tabriz​

Sir! At five o'clock in the morning our advancing forces made contact with the Russians at Tabriz! Three of our divisions are attacking, while three more are supporting them. There is only one Russian division defending the MOUNTAINOUS province.
4Lhiw.png

On the 5th of December, Enver Pasha launched the attack to Kars before it was too late. With nine divisions against three Russian ones, the hillside province of Kars should fall under Ottoman control in no time. But soon enough the Russians got reinforcements.. This is going to be a long winter...
chQTB.png

The situation on the 8th of December is starting to look rather bad for our troops fighting for Tabriz. We sent three cavalry divisions from Sinai to defend the provinces south of Tabriz, just in case. Two days later we had to call back the attack. Ismail Enver is still trying to capture Kars but it does not look too good. Enver Pasha commanded the forces in Van to support his attack to Kars, though it's unlikely it will change the result of the battle.

38Fe3.png

After a week of fighting, Enver Pasha has still not been able to break the Russian defenses. Ismail Enver underestimated the toughness of the Russian Army.
JxIRM.png

On the 16th of December, Field Marshal von der Goltz confronted a British Light Infantry division, commanded by Lt. General Rawlinson. A few days later, the British got reinforcements consisting of one Light Infantry division. Von der Goltz commanded one of the two infantry divisions in Basrah to come and assist him. The situation is stabilizing.

1R4RH.png

Suddenly, a miracle happened. Half of the Russian garrison in Kars fled, leaving only two infantry divisions behind. Enver Pasha demanded his troops to triple their efforts in conquering old Ottoman lands back. On the 26th of December Kars was finally captured by the Ottoman forces but the Russians begun a counter-offensive instantly, which was repelled when Enver Pasha arrived in Kars with his three infantry divisions. A few days after the victory, Enver Pasha commenced a new invasion, starting the second battle of Tabriz.
OWyxT.png

Field Marshal von der Goltz is having a hard time trying to invade India. The British colonial forces are tougher than they looked. Von der Goltz ordered an assault as a last resort. But it failed. If the British can re-organize, there is no way we can charge through the mountains. Alas, India will never revolt.

kdf0A.png

In the morning of January the 1st, Liman von Sanders' Cavalry Corps arrived in Suez:
w3nvh.png

Situation in Europe, Jan. 1st 1915
66T0a.png

---------------------------------------------------

End of year 1914, eh.

Last edited:
Part of Prussia in Russian hands. Even Groucho Marx would have done it better than old Fritz...:D

Your war isn't going too nicely but for Egypt, either...

An Oriental Struggle
OttomanCoatOfArms.png

Chapter VII. Setbacks and Triumphs

The Ottoman offensives of November and December of 1914 had proven somewhat succesful. Ismail Enver's Third Army could eventually win the battle of Kars and the province was occupied by Ottoman troops. The first battle of Tabriz failed due to the mobility of the Russian cavalry divisions stationed there. Field Marshal von der Goltz captured the oil fields of Abadan in southern Persia before the British could arrive, he then started a long march towards India, which was quickly stopped by the British colonial forces in Babolsar. It has become a deadlock and breakthrough is extremely difficult. In South, Liman von Sanders' First Army crossed the Sinai Desert and captured the Suez Canal. From there his cavalry corps shall charge into Egyptian heartland and drive the British off. For now, Liman von Sanders has not encountered any resistance in Egypt. Where on Earth are the British?

A Jihad was proclaimed by the Sultan-Caliph. It was hoped that it would unite all the Muslims around the globe and make them support the Central Powers. As the Ottomans invaded Egypt, their rapid advance through the Sinai and occupation of Suez was thought to inspire the Muslims in Egypt to revolt, forcing the British to deal with them as well. With the German currency, the Ottomans promised to support Egyptian nationalists in their revolution. The pro-Ottoman sultan of Egypt, Abbas II, was deposed by the British. Britain then declared Egypt an independent sultanate under British protectocrate, thus ending de jure Ottoman Vassalage.

SiBB0.png

jrYOi.png

In spite of victories against the Russians and the capture of Suez, the populace of the Empire has grown angry towards the military government. Probably the co-operation with an ally that seems to be weak has had something to do with the growth of dissent. Promises of a quick victory, Germany was not able to take out France. Grand Vizier Said Halim tried to convince Ismail Enver to end the hostilities while it was still possible, but ignoring our alliance with Germany would eat our prestige even more than defeat. Shortly after the Ottoman Empire had joined the war, the British Royal Navy bombarded several Turkish coastal fortifications in the Dardanelles and captured some transport vessels. By stopping our shipping lines the British try to worsen our situation even more. There is no hope for the Ottoman navy to engage the Royal Navy, not even SMS Goeben and SMS Breslau can stand against their firepower.

X0IWe.png

On the 3rd of January, Nicholas II the Tsar of Russia, panicking that the Ottomans could advance even further into the Caucasus, urged his allies to attack Turkey. It is yet to be seen where the Entente concentrates their attack. We must stay alert.

1YP1I.png

Later that day, the 2nd Battle of Tabriz continues. Enver Pasha reported that Ottoman troops had made contact with various Russian divisions near the town of Tabriz. But the Russians have good defensive positions in the mountainous environment.

JV9IY.png

The Cavalry Divisions from Kirkuk and Infantry from Van started to assault the Russian positions while being supported by Ismail Enver's Third Army from Kars. As the battle raged, the Ottomans lost their surprise momentum and the Russians dug into their defences even better. The dissent in the homefront (9.50% at that time) had a negative impact on the morale of the charging Ottoman Forces. As the infantrymen and the officers realized that the attack would fail, their morale and organization collapsed, leading Ismail Enver to call off the attack. Ismail Enver did not blame himself of the defeat but the lack of discipline of his army. He then returned to Constantinople to lead the war from there, leaving 10.000 Ottoman troops lying dead on the frosty hills of Tabriz.

nl33V.png

trcpc.png

On the 7th of January, Ahmed Djemal, one of the Three Pashas, commenced an attack to the Russian port town of Batum. Even with the help of the Third Army the attack was doomed to fail. Who is to blame? Eventually, in the morning of January the 8th, the attack was called off.

rLBVj.png

clhS5.png

Shortly after the defeat at Batum, Russian forces attacked the weakened Ottoman Third Army in Kars. There was no hope of holding the ground and the frightened Turks fled in panic. It is feared that the whole front might collapse.

JBztZ.png

Meanwhile in Europe
As the Royal Navy arranged a naval blockade to the North Sea, Germany could not send any reinforcements to her colonies, neither could she get anything from them. In order to counter this move by the British, Germany decided to start a blockade of their own; the u-boats. Germany had already studied the concept of submarines before the war, but because they still were outgunned against the Royal Navy, they needed a new solution. The new idea of striking enemy battleships below surface was considered cowardly by the British. But Germany had to stop all supply shipments to Britain, like they were doing to Germany.

WQlwL.png

On the 11th of January, Admiral Souchon, now Chief of the Navy, set sail to the Black Sea from their port in Karabük. Wilhelm Souchon is hoping to be able to damage some of the pre-dreadnoughts of the Russian fleet, without taking that much damage to his own ships. Osmanli Donanmasi was assigned for Naval Interdiction on the Black sea till the 10th of February.

jbGMf.png

The First Army arrived in Port Said at 14.00 on the 11th of January. Field Marshal Liman von Sanders was forced to divide his army into three sections so that all the important provinces could be occupied simultaneously.

aOQU7.png

Liman von Sanders is puzzled that there are no British troops in Egypt. This might be the reason why:

yr9Cg.png

The German colonies of Togoland, Kamerun and South-West Africa have already fallen, but General von Lettow-Vorbeck is advancing deep into British territory in East Africa. There are no German troops defending in the southern parts of the colony, though, which could lead to sudden British occupation any time soon.

Well, look at this. How did they manage to get through the British blockade?
NT5ke.png

In mid January, the German and Ottoman High commands came to realization, that Persia would not mind if Ottoman troops used their territory during military operations. Field Marshal von der Goltz could send a strike force through Persia to the Afgani border. The Emir of Afganistan has 50.000 men ready to invade India, but also is on the British payroll. German agents were sent to Afganistan to propose a deal with the Emir. If they would not become our allies, we could always declare war on them and attack India through Afganistan.

UlnGK.png

The Initial Plan of Invasion of India; 17th of January:
DFgS8.png

Ottoman Empire; 19th of January, 1915
iuj75.png

So many things in only 19 days of ingame time...

Last edited:
Is it possible to attack using countries you have military access through? Nevertheless, you have the gateway to India secured already. The Raj is a ripe orange ready to fall into the Sultan's turban!

And boy, all that by only 3 weeks. Maybe this war really will be over by Christmas.