• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm not sure I understand but I think the answer is you need to seize as much land until you have the warscore to force them surrender just like any other war.

I'm not sure I understand but I think the answer is you need to seize as much land until you have the warscore to force them surrender just like any other war.

it says occupied lands will be yours, rest of them will be your vassal. the invasion cb is little tricky to compare others. even if you hit 100% warscore, you may continue to occupy lands. however, to get baron-tier holdings aswell do i have to occupy all of them or the capital of county is enough?

Last edited:
Occupy all of them.

My Advice is occupy every single holding, ensuring that any Vassal left will be 100% loyal to you.

EX, If you play as William the Bastard, occupy every English Barony so that you will not deal with the former king/dukes/count revolting, and it will ensure that your vassals will be handpicked by you, which cuts down on revolt risk.

You get indirect control of everything if you win the war, but you can only fully own (and redistribute) holdings that you take during the war.

So if you Invade France as Aragon and want Catalans ruling everything, you need to take it all, but if you merely want to paint the map your color you only need enough to win. In practical terms, its usually somewhere in between. Spot the lords you DONT want as major vassals beforehand and target them first.

Occupy all of them.

My Advice is occupy every single holding, ensuring that any Vassal left will be 100% loyal to you.

EX, If you play as William the Bastard, occupy every English Barony so that you will not deal with the former king/dukes/count revolting, and it will ensure that your vassals will be handpicked by you, which cuts down on revolt risk.

This approach has one HUGE drawback in Willy's case. Any holding that you can redistribute gets the whole occupation penalties, whereas those who are left alone dont. This isnt a big deal if you have a huge empire already, but in Willy's case, it is. You cant defend England from the Norwegians and Danes on Normandy's manpower alone. Leaving a handful of Saxon dukes alone isn't a bad idea. They'll turn English soon enough anyway.

Occupying the capital will give you the county and the barons will become your vassals, if the county is in the de jure kingdom you're trying to conquer. The barons will probably not be super loyal to you though, so it's often preferable to occupy everything.