• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Historically, foreign conquerors, whether they were Arabs or Turkic (e.g. Timur), became in general culturally assimilated and "Persian-ized" when they took over Persia. Persia has had a distinct identity with a strong culture that has exerted great influence on those steppe nomads. Not to mention its strong influence on neighbouring regions. For example, the Abbasid caliphate in Baghdad became heavily Persianized, and the Mughals carried Persian culture to India.

Actually, I believe it's the 'dynasty_title_names = yes' line in 00_cultures.txt that specifies that, so you could in fact have a Plantagenet Empire if you had your heirs tutored by an Arab, Turk, Persian or Kurd.

Sorry if that's incorrect...

That could be true.

You know, that might explain why the Sunni Sultanate of Georgia was still called Georgia. :rofl:

I think the Cultural Restrictions are more for the ahistorical Empires and Kingdoms, like Brittany, or Hispania... most of the kingdoms hold no such restriction. And it kinda makes sense. Dunno about the Seljuk Turk/Persia thing; I've stayed very much away from that area lately.

1. That area is awesome, and I've loved creating a massive Persian Empire.

2. Its like that to prevent the Seljuks from just auto-creating it. If Turks could make the Empire, it'd be done within a month of game start for nearly any date before the Ilkhanate shows up. However, as Sultans of Persia the Seljuks tend to get the event which allows them to culture switch to Persian, which means they tend to form it all the time anyways, removing the challenge (as it should be, given that all Kurdish and Persian rulers start off weak in a Sultanate dominated by a culture of a completely different cultural group... and there aren't an abundance of them either).

Ah, but I've gotten CK2 from an Amazon Sale a two weeks ago and I'm still in the "squeee" phase with what's there normally, so I haven't had the need to get the SOI DLC yet. Maybe by December I'll want to play as infidels... :p

1: Open Console

2: Type "culture persian"

3: Create Persian Empire

4: Type "culture turkish"

It's cheating but it will allow you to do what you want without having to wait a generation or two for a future heir to be educated by a Persian.

In practically all my games the Turkish Sultan of Persia adopts the Persian culture himself; IIRC, there's a generic event for that.
I'm not sure how that's triggered, though.

Primary title must have a culture different to yours. Capital province must be different culture. Must not be norman or rule from a saxon province.

Mean time to happen doubled if your in the same culture group as the one you'd be swapping to. Halved if your capital is the same culture as your title. Base time 100 years. So any long lived Seljuk with a persian capital is going to go Persian.

Thats cheating. The whole point of the persian empire is that its persian, and a smelly steppe nomad probably can't even speak the language. Far better to do an Alexander and adopt Persian culture, and with it, the Persian Empire.

These smelly steppe nomads ruled Persia until 1925 and India until 1858. It is just stupid to restrict Turkish culture to form Persian Empire.

These smelly steppe nomads ruled Persia until 1925 and India until 1858. It is just stupid to restrict Turkish culture to form Persian Empire.

Culture within the game is not the same as nationality or ethnicity. Its just culture. Way of life, language, etc. Those that ruled Persia for any length of time quickly adopted pretty much every aspet of the Persian cultured. The same with India. And China, for that matter.

Culture within the game is not the same as nationality or ethnicity. Its just culture. Way of life, language, etc. Those that ruled Persia for any length of time quickly adopted pretty much every aspet of the Persian cultured. The same with India. And China, for that matter.

No it is not. Yes i know that most of people thinks that way but that is not true. First of all you know Grandsons of Seljuks formed Sultanate of Rum and they were still talking Turkish, following Turkish succession laws and turkicized Anatolia successfully.

In fact yes they were no longer Altaic Turks but they were still Turks. Thousands of Turks settled in Persia, Middle east and Anatolia during Seljuk reign. But it is impossible to recreate this in the game. Na matter what, Seljuk Sultans become Persian a hundred years later, and Turks could never settle in Anatolia even Seljuks rule there. They must fix Turkish issue. It was an important event during that age.

I tend to see the Seljuks remaining Turkish. In fact the Seljuks are often to most resiliently Turkish rulers I've seen in all my 1066 games. In 1266 I still have Seljuk vassals inside the Arabian Empire generally causing a mess of things and refusing to change culture to Persian, Bedouin, Levantine or Kurdish.

My problem is that Turks sometimes convert Persia to Turkish culture, which doesn't really make sense. While I think it's sensible that Khwarizm and Khiva should become totally Turkish, central Persia should not. A few events for Turkish and Altaic rulers are probably needed to simulate them better. The Sultunate of Rum should also have a greater impact on Anatolia, and again stronger events to change things to Turkish culture and make a more contiguous de jure Rum after time would be good.

Let the Seljuks abandon Turkishness sometimes though. If they lose all of de jure Mesopotamia to a revolt it makes sense that they'd bow to pressure and adopt the Persian ways of what is now the entirety of their realm.

I tend to see the Seljuks remaining Turkish. In fact the Seljuks are often to most resiliently Turkish rulers I've seen in all my 1066 games. In 1266 I still have Seljuk vassals inside the Arabian Empire generally causing a mess of things and refusing to change culture to Persian, Bedouin, Levantine or Kurdish.

My problem is that Turks sometimes convert Persia to Turkish culture, which doesn't really make sense. While I think it's sensible that Khwarizm and Khiva should become totally Turkish, central Persia should not. A few events for Turkish and Altaic rulers are probably needed to simulate them better. The Sultunate of Rum should also have a greater impact on Anatolia, and again stronger events to change things to Turkish culture and make a more contiguous de jure Rum after time would be good.

Let the Seljuks abandon Turkishness sometimes though. If they lose all of de jure Mesopotamia to a revolt it makes sense that they'd bow to pressure and adopt the Persian ways of what is now the entirety of their realm.

Your experience isn't mine. I've seen the Seljuk rulers adopt the Persian culture many times, including when I was a Persian vassal.

Why not? Today 18-20 million Turks are still living in Iran. "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Azerbaijanis" So converting Persia to Turkish culture makes sense. In fact that is what happened in middle ages. But the real problem here is the differences between Turkic cultures. Turkish in persia were no longer an Altaic culture. Maybe Paradox should put non-altaic Turkish culture to the game?