• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sarys

Captain
60 Badges
Apr 18, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Rome: Vae Victis
Hey! I was just wondering is EU1 worth buying since I have EU2? I know it's stupid question but there must be differences between these two. Right?

But I guess EU3 is worth buying even thought I have EU2 xD

There are a few differences. EU I does not have some features like sliders for domestic policies, and missionaries, just as a few examples. Also, you can only play as certain default countries, however, that can be undone by using certain mods. You can also annex a whole nation during war (except for the default majors, IIRC). You also can get victory points by successfully completing missions.

The AI in EU I is somewhat different, and is arguably better in terms of colonization and war across long distances. I may be wrong, but I believe that this is because AI has less to work on in EU I, it is easier for it to work with the countries which it does focus upon.

If you like EU II, EU I is certainly worth it, especially at its low price on Gamers Gate. It may feel like a step backwards, because some features do not exist, but it may also be great fun because there are many scenarios, and major powers are more challenging to play than in EU II.

Last edited:
Thanks Cliges. But i presume that EU2 is superior to EU1 am I right? Anyway how about the fan made game? For the Glory or something like that?

Thanks Cliges. But i presume that EU2 is superior to EU1 am I right? Anyway how about the fan made game? For the Glory or something like that?

I would not say that it is so much a matter of being superior, but rather a different game experience. The mission aspect, for example, has a certain urgency because they must be done within a set time frame.

EU I also has a fun ending video when you exit your game, if that would sway your opinion at all. :p

I would not say that it is so much a matter of being superior, but rather a different game experience. The mission aspect, for example, has a certain urgency because they must be done within a set time frame.

EU I also has a fun ending video when you exit your game, if that would sway your opinion at all. :p

So I should buy EU1? Well I might even try it out someday

EU2 has a better tactical AI and lots of bells and whistles (including events) but has been trumped by "For the Glory" or "EUIII with all the additions" (EU3 without additions is not as good as EU2)

EU1 beats them all mostly in the fact that it plays out fairly historically in the parts you are not touching. While the other EU:s will always see blobbing and other strange and ahistorical results, EU1 will see Spain take the Americas unless you really do a lot to stop it.

EU1 is well worth a dollar (which is what it usually costs) if you are willing to try to play it. And then you could try to install the IGC as well. ;)

Does IGC run on Windows 7? And where does one find it? I have never tried any mods of any type for EU I.

I don't even know what IGC is. And I think EU1 will not run on win7 (I might be wrong of course).

EDIT: Oh and btw. If someone is selling EU1 in UK near High Wycombe let me know.

Last edited:
EU I runs on Windows 7, but it will probably be necessary to set your screen resolution to 16 bit and run the game as administrator to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.

EU I runs on Windows 7, but it will probably be necessary to set your screen resolution to 16 bit and run the game as administrator to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.

Ok in that case does it run in Ubuntu? Or never mind I know where to get that information xD. If someone want's to know contact me.

EDIT: Nah so it work in Linux if we linux users use wine. Only thing that doesn't work is intro. res 800x600
(I know pointless post)

You need to run the "setup scenario" program (to be able to run it is why you install the "special Java program")

In the setup program you decide which countries should be selectable. It is usually most satisfying to pick just one and leave the others blank.

There are a few differences. EU I does not have some features like sliders for domestic policies, and missionaries, just as a few examples. Also, you can only play as certain default countries, however, that can be undone by using certain mods. You can also annex a whole nation during war (except for the default majors, IIRC). You also can get victory points by successfully completing missions.

The AI in EU I is somewhat different, and is arguably better in terms of colonization and war across long distances. I may be wrong, but I believe that this is because AI has less to work on in EU I, it is easier for it to work with the countries which it does focus upon.

If you like EU II, EU I is certainly worth it, especially at its low price on Gamers Gate. It may feel like a step backwards, because some features do not exist, but it may also be great fun because there are many scenarios, and major powers are more challenging to play than in EU II.

How does Gamers gate work? I mean if I buy something how does it work and where does the game go? And do I need good internet connection?

Well, in summary you start an account with them, find the game you want to buy and pay for it like it was an online store.

After that you click download and a download helper will help make sure that even poorer internet connections can manage the download (at least I am assuming that is why it is there ;)

After that you install the game just as normal, in the default directory or one of your choosing. Any install keys needed will be listed next to your game in gamers gate.

So you need some means to pay online, and an internet connection good enough to download large files (speed is not needed, but you shouldn't be paying by the byte ;))

It is the EU game that (unmodded) plays out closest to the real world history, meaning you make more of a difference.

All other EU games are nice sandbox games too, though. Only the AI can rarely (ever?) manage the Ottomans, Portuguese, Spanish or Dutch parts of history. (And in later versions, English too). Meanwhile French and Austrian tend to grow insanely big.

Feel free to come back and comment. ;)

I just bought a netbook with a small screen, 1024 x 600 (Windows 7 starter), and though the screen is too small to run most of the Paradox games, it does run EU 1 out of the box without any problems.

So at least I have a fully functioning Paradox game on this toy :)

After much messing around for several weeks, I have finally got IGC to both install and (usually) play. Sometimes the game simply refuses to load correctly. It should be interesting because it has countries like Hanseatic League, which do not exist (so far as I know) in the other games in the series.

Did you have to do any special tricks to get IGC to install and play? Any tips you could share with others?

There are other mods with the Hanseatic League, like Aberration for EU2, and EU3 (after a few add-ons) does sort of include the Hansa, but the IGC was first. ;)

I did enjoy a game as the Golden Horde in IGC very much. It was a challenge up until the 1750:es, as opposed to the other times I played and usually became overpowering before the 1650:es.