+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis worth to buy?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Blog Entries

Question Europa Universalis worth to buy?

Hey! I was just wondering is EU1 worth buying since I have EU2? I know it's stupid question but there must be differences between these two. Right?

But I guess EU3 is worth buying even thought I have EU2 xD

Adm. Elmo "Bud" Zumwalt lives! Cliges's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

There are a few differences. EU I does not have some features like sliders for domestic policies, and missionaries, just as a few examples. Also, you can only play as certain default countries, however, that can be undone by using certain mods. You can also annex a whole nation during war (except for the default majors, IIRC). You also can get victory points by successfully completing missions.

The AI in EU I is somewhat different, and is arguably better in terms of colonization and war across long distances. I may be wrong, but I believe that this is because AI has less to work on in EU I, it is easier for it to work with the countries which it does focus upon.

If you like EU II, EU I is certainly worth it, especially at its low price on Gamers Gate. It may feel like a step backwards, because some features do not exist, but it may also be great fun because there are many scenarios, and major powers are more challenging to play than in EU II.
    Last edited by Cliges; 27-06-2012 at 19:43.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Blog Entries
    Thanks Cliges. But i presume that EU2 is superior to EU1 am I right? Anyway how about the fan made game? For the Glory or something like that?

March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Sarys View Post
    Thanks Cliges. But i presume that EU2 is superior to EU1 am I right? Anyway how about the fan made game? For the Glory or something like that?
    I would not say that it is so much a matter of being superior, but rather a different game experience. The mission aspect, for example, has a certain urgency because they must be done within a set time frame.

EU I also has a fun ending video when you exit your game, if that would sway your opinion at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliges View Post
    I would not say that it is so much a matter of being superior, but rather a different game experience. The mission aspect, for example, has a certain urgency because they must be done within a set time frame.

EU I also has a fun ending video when you exit your game, if that would sway your opinion at all.
    So I should buy EU1? Well I might even try it out someday

A bunny with a hat Moderator Nikolai II's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Divine WindFor The GloryGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldRome: Vae Victis
    Hoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

EU2 has a better tactical AI and lots of bells and whistles (including events) but has been trumped by "For the Glory" or "EUIII with all the additions" (EU3 without additions is not as good as EU2)

EU1 beats them all mostly in the fact that it plays out fairly historically in the parts you are not touching. While the other EU:s will always see blobbing and other strange and ahistorical results, EU1 will see Spain take the Americas unless you really do a lot to stop it.

EU1 is well worth a dollar (which is what it usually costs) if you are willing to try to play it. And then you could try to install the IGC as well.
    FSM! I am convinced. Are you?
    IPU! I have faith. Do you?

GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Does IGC run on Windows 7? And where does one find it? I have never tried any mods of any type for EU I.

Blog Entries
    I don't even know what IGC is. And I think EU1 will not run on win7 (I might be wrong of course).

EDIT: Oh and btw. If someone is selling EU1 in UK near High Wycombe let me know.
    Last edited by Sarys; 04-07-2012 at 15:11.

EU I runs on Windows 7, but it will probably be necessary to set your screen resolution to 16 bit and run the game as administrator to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldRome: Vae Victis

Does IGC run on Windows 7? And where does one find it? I have never tried any mods of any type for EU I.
    In the Modifications subforum, right next to this one
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread

GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blog Entries
    EU I runs on Windows 7, but it will probably be necessary to set your screen resolution to 16 bit and run the game as administrator to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.
    Ok in that case does it run in Ubuntu? Or never mind I know where to get that information xD. If someone want's to know contact me.

EDIT: Nah so it work in Linux if we linux users use wine. Only thing that doesn't work is intro. res 800x600
    (I know pointless post)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai II View Post
    In the Modifications subforum, right next to this one
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Thank you very much.

I'm honestly not sure I was able to install it correctly or not. How does one choose a country not listed in the defaults?

You need to run the "setup scenario" program (to be able to run it is why you install the "special Java program")

In the setup program you decide which countries should be selectable. It is usually most satisfying to pick just one and leave the others blank.

Blog Entries
    There are a few differences. EU I does not have some features like sliders for domestic policies, and missionaries, just as a few examples. Also, you can only play as certain default countries, however, that can be undone by using certain mods. You can also annex a whole nation during war (except for the default majors, IIRC). You also can get victory points by successfully completing missions.

The AI in EU I is somewhat different, and is arguably better in terms of colonization and war across long distances. I may be wrong, but I believe that this is because AI has less to work on in EU I, it is easier for it to work with the countries which it does focus upon.

If you like EU II, EU I is certainly worth it, especially at its low price on Gamers Gate. It may feel like a step backwards, because some features do not exist, but it may also be great fun because there are many scenarios, and major powers are more challenging to play than in EU II.
    How does Gamers gate work? I mean if I buy something how does it work and where does the game go? And do I need good internet connection?
    I'm not living unless I'm in battle, so I have to find my own reason to fight.

Well, in summary you start an account with them, find the game you want to buy and pay for it like it was an online store.

After that you click download and a download helper will help make sure that even poorer internet connections can manage the download (at least I am assuming that is why it is there

After that you install the game just as normal, in the default directory or one of your choosing. Any install keys needed will be listed next to your game in gamers gate.

So you need some means to pay online, and an internet connection good enough to download large files (speed is not needed, but you shouldn't be paying by the byte )

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IV

This game is more historical? I bought it for one dollar on gamersgate, downloading now.

It is the EU game that (unmodded) plays out closest to the real world history, meaning you make more of a difference.

All other EU games are nice sandbox games too, though. Only the AI can rarely (ever?) manage the Ottomans, Portuguese, Spanish or Dutch parts of history. (And in later versions, English too). Meanwhile French and Austrian tend to grow insanely big.

Feel free to come back and comment.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III CollectionMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandRise of Prussia500k club

I just bought a netbook with a small screen, 1024 x 600 (Windows 7 starter), and though the screen is too small to run most of the Paradox games, it does run EU 1 out of the box without any problems.

So at least I have a fully functioning Paradox game on this toy :-)

After much messing around for several weeks, I have finally got IGC to both install and (usually) play. Sometimes the game simply refuses to load correctly. It should be interesting because it has countries like Hanseatic League, which do not exist (so far as I know) in the other games in the series.

Did you have to do any special tricks to get IGC to install and play? Any tips you could share with others?

There are other mods with the Hanseatic League, like Aberration for EU2, and EU3 (after a few add-ons) does sort of include the Hansa, but the IGC was first.

I did enjoy a game as the Golden Horde in IGC very much. It was a challenge up until the 1750:es, as opposed to the other times I played and usually became overpowering before the 1650:es.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast