• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually I'm less troubled with these new empires, because AI will almost never create those.

There already seems to be a lot of them in people's reports.

But kingdoms of Aquitaine and those small kingdoms in HRE are created regularly.

I believe Burgundy should start as formed and held by the Emperor. He actually held the title, he just didn't use it. Lotharingia is also perfectly pukkah IMHO for anybody holding enough of its lands, which is probably the reason it didn't really exist anymore (although the HRE emperor could probably just have revived it for himself). These titles weren't really in use because the HRE Emperors didn't really feel like having them around.

On the other hand Frisia is exaggerated, Bavaria even more and Pomerania is silly. I can understand a de iure kingdom for Pomeranian pagans but come on, not one stretching the borders of the HRE far into Poland.

While I don't mind having ahistorical creatable kingdoms in areas where there was no historical kingdoms, I think that inserting fantasy kingdoms into areas which had well defined historical kingdoms is a bigger sin.

Well, I'm not sure any of those kingdoms can be unequivocally deemed to be ahistorical. Pomerania would be closest, along with Bavaria, and followed by Frisia. Burgundy, Lotharingia and even Aquitaine are IMHO historical enough, although Aquitaine is problematic.

There were no other kingdoms in France in this era and HRE had only 4 kingdoms Germany, Italy, Burgundy and Bohemia.

That true but doesn't mean there weren't some lands that could be said to have belonged in sufficiently defined other kingdoms. Definitely Lotharingia, possibly Aquitaine. I used to criticise Brittany but I was wrong and in need of reading up on the subject, which made me look stupid.

We have occasionally asked from Paradox if it's possible to have same tier vassals since CKI, but answer has always been that it's impossible to be vassal of same tier ruler. I don't know how willing they are to add grand prince and high king -tiers and if it's even possible without major overhaul of the entire game.

Well, I suppose a solution could be to add more tiers and restrict some of the tiers to specific circumstances on the technical side, while painting them as not much different from the title immediately below or above by appropriate graphics and descriptions.

Or a new type of diplomatic relationship, e.g. suzerainty of sorts, in which you couldn't do things like calling levies directly, building your own new baronies in their holding slots etc., but you could claim levies and tribute from the paramount ruler of that realm.

After all, it's not like the emperor of the HRE could have done that so directly in the kingdom of Bohemia, for example.

There's one specific effect of having these empires be de jure that I really don't like--it gives you de jure casus belli on things it shouldn't. If you're playing the king of England and you conquer Scotland and Wales and form Britannia, you'll now have de jure CBs on Ireland. That's total nonsense. You should have to conquer Ireland the same way you conquered Scotland and Wales.
Did it really?
Yes.
How exactly was the German Empire Roman?
If you're talking about the Holy Roman Emperor... In theory, he derived his imperial authority from investiture by the Bishop of Rome.

If you're talking about the state created in 1871, that has no relevance to this discussion.
I suppose that Japan and China were surprised to hear that definition, seeing as the first Chinese Emperor predated the first Roman Emperor.
"Emperor" is just used in English by way of analogy. They're obviously not called that in their native languages, and there's no link between the Western imperial tradition and the Chinese/Japanese "imperial" traditions.
The Spanish during this period used the title or Emperor.
Yes, and even though this is brought up time and again in these threads, to date nobody has presented any evidence that this title was widely acknowledged by other rulers or even the subjects of these so-called "emperors." Also it ceased to be in use not even a century after game start.
There was a Serbian Emperor in the mid 1300s.
Source?

In any case, that's an obvious attempt to cash in on the Byzantine imperial tradition. And just because some haughty Serbian prince called himself an emperor or basileus or whatever on paper doesn't mean he actually was acknowledged as one.
There were dozens of other Emperors that had even less to do with Rome than the HRE did.
Sure, but for the most part their pretensions to imperium were either ignored, or they date from way after the time period of the game.

Well Frisia can indeed be a bit tricky, rulers in and of the area like the count of Holland and duke (initially count (landgrave)) of Gelre did remember, that there once were kings of the Frisians, which were mostly legendary for them too. This kingdom (along with Lotharingia and Burgundy) was also referred to during the negotiations between the Valois dukes of Burgundy and the HRE for a royal crown (slightly outside the period covered by the game); and they used it too to improve their spot in the order of precedence at the Papal court. So basically a kingdom, which had an empty throne for quite a while.
This could be a reason to make Frisia titular instead.

Besides IMHO the kingdoms of Aquitaine and Bavaria seem to have had rather similar roles in their respective realms (on paper).

Yes, certainly the kingdom of Bohemia had a degree of autonomy in the HRE (increased further when the Luxembourg kings managed to raise Prague to an archbishopric), more than any other vassal (and previously the dukes of Bohemia), until the establishment of the prince-electors.
Anyway gamewise, I agree that even an emperor should have some limitations in the realms of their vassal kings.

Last edited:
Did it really?
How exactly was the German Empire Roman?

There was no German Empire in the middle ages. The German Empire originated in 1871.

The Empire in the middle ages was the Holy Roman Empire. Even the qualified "of the German nation" was officially added only in 1512. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roman_Empire

The idea in 962 was to connect the old empire of Charlemagne (crowned 800 AD), the last emperor of which died in 924 (only 38 years of a break). Charlemagne's Empire was basically Western Roman, it wasn't tied to Germany per se.

The last western emperor to use the title died in 480 (Julius Nepos). Between 480 and 800 it was "only" 320 years, while the western empire was believed to be ruled by the eastern emperor as the paramount ruler (nominal suzerain over the barbarian kings in Italy, Gaul etc.).

I suppose that Japan and China were surprised to hear that definition, seeing as the first Chinese Emperor predated the first Roman Emperor.

1. Read
2. Read with understanding

The poster you argue with referred to mediaeval Europe.

The Spanish during this period used the title or Emperor.

Yes, to denote the claim to be a superior ruler than the newer kings because his dynasty was older etc.

There was a Serbian Emperor in the mid 1300s.

There were barbarian "emperors" before anyway. And the Serbian one claimed Roman legitimacy. Final "corroboration" of the Serbian one's status came from confirmation of his title by Constantinople, i.e. the Eastern Roman Empire.

There were dozens of other Emperors that had even less to do with Rome than the HRE did.

Which doesn't make them "de iure" at all, and most or even all of them, needed to be recognised by the ERE to be seen as emperors. In the west, there were none really anyway. And "dozens" is an exaggeration. Here's a list of all remotely serious "emperors" past 1066:

ERE (Byzantium, Constantinople) from a debatable start to fall in 1453
HRE 800-924, 962-1806
Serbia 1346-1371 (nominally 1406)
Bulgaria - destroyed in 1018 by Byzantium but I guess one could see it as a stable thing going back to 681 and therefore legitimately recreatable
Latin Empire - 1204-1261 - was not even a separate empire but it was basically the Byzantine empire under foreign emperors
Nikaian Empire - 1204-1261 - another one claiming to be the true Eastern Roman Empire
Empire of Trebisond - about 1204 to 1461, yet another one claiming to be the true Byzantium but at some point dropping the pretence and taking the title of "emperor of all the east" regardless of its tiny acreage
All Spain - 1086-1157 basically, generally forgotten even in Spain in 13th century, very little recognition outside Spain anyway

So you basically have various iterations of the ERE and of the HRE, two major emulators (still small-timers in the big scheme of things) in the east and one in the west.

Well Frisia can indeed be a bit tricky, rulers in and of the area like the count of Holland and duke (initially count (landgrave)) of Gelre did remember, that there once were kings of the Frisians, which were mostly legendary for them too.

Yes, but I'd still be willing to accept that legendary heritage as the basis for "de iure-ness". Mediaeval people would certainly have accepted (or even created) legends as the basis of legitimacy. It probably makes sense to limit the creatability of that kingdom to Dutch people.

This kingdom (along with Lotharingia and Burgundy) was also referred to during the negotiations between the Valois dukes of Burgundy and the HRE for a royal crown (slightly outside the period covered by the game; and they used it too to improve their spot in the order of precedence at the Papal court. So basically a kingdom, which had an empty throne for quite a while.
This could be a reason to make Frisia titular instead.

And on the other hand Nubia is a titular title in de iure Egypt for some reason! (While it should be de iure.)

Besides IMHO the kingdoms of Aquitaine and Bavaria seem to have had rather similar roles in their respective realms (on paper).

I could probably live with their creatability but a K. of Bavaria as a territorial unit is too much of a stretch. Aquitaine probably too.

Yes, certainly the kingdom of Bohemia had a degree of autonomy in the HRE (increased further when the Luxembourg kings managed to raise Prague to an archbishopric),

Worth noting that the Luxembourgs used their position as emperors of the HRE/Roman Kings to grab Bohemia for their own relatives as the suzerains of the extinct Premyslids. Bohemian succession wasn't obvious in 1306, so the Luxembourgs exercised the prerogative and took it over for themselves. One of the few direct interventions.

more than any other vassal (and previously the dukes of Bohemia), until the establishment of the prince-electors.

Well, while the royal title of Bohemia was the prerogative of the emperor to grant or not, until it finally became hereditary, I guess that as a major at least semi-independent nation with traditions they "deserve" a de iure Kingdom even back in 1066. Not an ideal solution but not bad, either.

For the record, Poland was not ruled by kings between 1079 and 1295 but it remained a kingdom in documents (what we'd call a de iure kingdom), with a special category of paramount prince on top, with other princes/dukes as his vassals.

Anyway gamewise, I agree that even an emperor should have some limitations in the realms of their vassal kings.

Yup.

Last edited:
I am very tired of seeing this topic pop up so much.

Why are the empires dejur has been stated by the Des why don't you people read what they said.

1st: they are dejur to tell players who don't read forums (a decent amount) that they exist as the only tool to find titles in game is the find title tool and it is just bad and could honestly do with a more user friendly update.. Or the map modes

2: to make the AI have almost no chance of forming them they had to add Dejur territories to the Empires. That way the computer would have to own that said land other wise all the AI had to do was get minimal 2 duchies and the empire capital plus piety prestige and cash gets you an instant empire. If you don't believe me go in your game and try to form the Latin empire it laughably easy at the moment that is what titular empire title gets you folks.

The developers have told you that Dejur does not mean Dejur in a historic sense. It is a game mechanic used to allow the AI and players to grow realms a certain way.

Pleas stop applying a historic definition to a game mechanic its not the correct way to look at it.

The devs said as much in the SOI dev diary as many of these complaints railed in from some of the same people in this thread. If you go through and read the first dev diary pages around page 23 on it gets into the topic of empires and why they are the way they are.

Quote some in this thread might remember.
Quite specifically we dislike creatable titular titles. Our dynamic system requires it so that if for example I remove the last duchy for a starting de Jure Kingdom then the titular creation mechanics mean that the title can be recreated. In the case of a pure titular title you do not know you are able to create it until you reach the conditions and receive the alert. Unless of course you have had a look through the game files.

This is bad for learning curve and for game play. If you look at from a learning curve perspective we denying players knowledge of cool game play elements unless you have played the game before or poked around the files. If we want to bring more players to the strategy genre (and I do) we need to move away from that mentality. People should know about really cool things they can do (like creating an empire) from the get go. The game play perspective the de jure titles are very powerful means for players to determine what the hell to do in the game. The completion of existing dejure titles and the acquisition of new ones is a key part of game play. The de Jure mapmode is integral to the game play expierence.

Link to the first dev diary were devs started talking about it heavily. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ev-Diary-1&p=13904308&viewfull=1#post13904308

Edit: for the Record I am just tired of seeing this topic pop up every other day. I would almost beg the mods to stick a thread titled Dejur vs Titular empires at this top of this section and so the same arguments would stop being repeated over and over again. I swear I have seen the same exact arguments repeated since the day this game launched.

Last edited:
Yes, but the devs also acknowledged that the addition of these extra empires is controversial. Furthermore this particular subject only became a real topic, when this patch/dlc added this feature; basically everyone, who don't like this in their vanilla, is fine with this being able to mod in.
Like I said before, apparently various customers bought this game for different reasons.
Besides everyone IMHO is free to voice their opinion; and the devs already realized that this would be controversial (that might be an understatement;)).

@NewbieOne: Regarding Bohemia and the Luxembourgs, so did the Habsburgs before them.
King of the Romans Albert (Albrecht) of Habsburg managed to make his son Rudolf of Habsburg king of Bohemia in 1306, after Václav/Wenzel III was killed and he managed to expel Henry of Carinthia, unfortunately for the Habsburgs Rudolf died of dysentery in 1307 and in 1308 Albert was assassinated by his nephew John Parricida (who was denied of his inheritance in Further Austria/Habsburg ancestral lands; in exchange for Rudolf, the father of John, giving up joint-rule in Austria & Styria, he was to be compensated in or (maybe even) with the Habsburg ancestral lands in the west).
The Luxembourg dynasty seized their chance in Bohemia in 1310, after John of Luxembourg (son of then king of the Romans Henry of Luxembourg) married with the Premyslid princess Elisabeth of Bohemia to establish his claim.

Last edited:
I still say I want every province to have a de jure empire over it: West and East Africa, Hungary & Croatia, Poland & Lithuania, Italy, Steppe Plains.

That way at least we could just accept that they are all fantasy empires that are there because every province needs to be in a de jure empire. The same way we accept fantasy kingdoms like Finland that are just there because every province needs to be in a fantasy kingdom :)

They're all ahistorical. A "Celtic Empire" is just as ahistorical as a Brittanic one.

But people were very keen on adding Empires, it was one of the most popular features added in mods, so here they are.

Come on there is plenty of reason for a Celtic Empire, like lunatic Celtic finding random sword or been given to them by a certain Lady, Arthur was getting quite popular during that game period. =p (Actually that could be a nice event line that can trigger (a bit like hell gate) when you got a Celtic character who lunatic)

More lunatic event would be nice at least. Those have so much potential. And maybe would stop some people from just trying to get rid of them. =p (Actually during the pilgrimage to Mecca got some kind of miracle event that trigger and made ruler I was playing become sane =p)

I still say I want every province to have a de jure empire over it: West and East Africa, Hungary & Croatia, Poland & Lithuania, Italy, Steppe Plains.

That way at least we could just accept that they are all fantasy empires that are there because every province needs to be in a de jure empire. The same way we accept fantasy kingdoms like Finland that are just there because every province needs to be in a fantasy kingdom :)
:laugh: That's only, because each province needs a de jure kingdom; and those empires feel much wronger for the era. Then again sometimes I'm under the impression that both general groups already have their opinion. Personally everyone should have their opinion, but I'm allowed to disagree; OTOH each opinion is equal.

Last edited:
One of the things that bothers me is some of the cultural requirements for creating the empires. Norse cultures should be able to create the empire of Britannia, shouldn't they? They were heavily involved in the isles over a long period of time, it's quite possible that the whole area be heavily norsified after a couple hundred years of norse rule.
Also, I think a dutch ruler should be able to form the French empire, but that might be more of a stretch.

And why no steppe empire? "Khazaria" for example, basically filling the area between Rus and the ERE to the east edge of the map. Basically I don't empires east of the HRE. The Russian empire can only be made by russians, and it's possible in many scenarios that the russians are margianalized or wiped out. Poland, Hungary, various steppe powers, scandinavians and baltic pagans could all (theoretically) hold huge expanses of land encompassing this area, even control all the Rus people as vassals but still wouldn't be able to create any kind of empire for doing this. If poland stretched from their border with the HRE to the ural mountains, it would be the empire of poland. If the Hungarians controlled most of the balkans, poland, and a big chunk of the steppe, they would be an empire too, maybe the Magyar empire.
If I'm playing as either the bulgars or the volga bulgars, I'd also like to be able to expand and connect their lands, recreating "Great old bulgaria" though this would probably just be the same as khazaria.

I guess the more I think about it the more I like the idea of an empire being creatable when you have so many kingdom titles under your control.

One of the things that bothers me is some of the cultural requirements for creating the empires. Norse cultures should be able to create the empire of Britannia, shouldn't they? They were heavily involved in the isles over a long period of time, it's quite possible that the whole area be heavily norsified after a couple hundred years of norse rule.
Also, I think a dutch ruler should be able to form the French empire, but that might be more of a stretch.

And why no steppe empire? "Khazaria" for example, basically filling the area between Rus and the ERE to the east edge of the map. Basically I don't empires east of the HRE. The Russian empire can only be made by russians, and it's possible in many scenarios that the russians are margianalized or wiped out. Poland, Hungary, various steppe powers, scandinavians and baltic pagans could all (theoretically) hold huge expanses of land encompassing this area, even control all the Rus people as vassals but still wouldn't be able to create any kind of empire for doing this. If poland stretched from their border with the HRE to the ural mountains, it would be the empire of poland. If the Hungarians controlled most of the balkans, poland, and a big chunk of the steppe, they would be an empire too, maybe the Magyar empire.
If I'm playing as either the bulgars or the volga bulgars, I'd also like to be able to expand and connect their lands, recreating "Great old bulgaria" though this would probably just be the same as khazaria.

I guess the more I think about it the more I like the idea of an empire being creatable when you have so many kingdom titles under your control.

The way they've set it up is almost every culture has one empire that they have got a shot at forming/usurping. You're not meant to have multiple empires, even if you get that big, just be restricted to you're core empire. So a succesful Norse conquest of Britain will have the power to knock out denmark, sweden and finland and form a Scandanavian empire.

The fantasy empire gives you a goal for where to expand, and meeting that goal makes it easier for you to expand where you want.

All my friends love them. Gives us something to aim for. And tbh if some of those 1200's Kings prospered a little more they could have commanded enough power to call themselves Emperors. The pope can't really deny them if they are big and powerful in comparison.

Overall though , there are alot of OCD people that play this game ;). Some people demand things be completely historical , many even go further and want the game to play out like history every time. I think their input is valid and helps give different views on the matter , which is ultimately for the greater good. But i actually agree with Paradox's decision to add the empires. This isn't a history book , if i want to know what happened back then i can read one. This is a game , a sand box history re - writer and im loving the idea of powerful empires emerging.

:laugh: That's only, because each province needs a de jure kingdom;
They don't actually, although it does look a bit weird having duchies appear on the kingdom map mode.