• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(220544)

Corporal
8 Badges
Aug 16, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
Hello!

How can I force trade from my own provinces to go through my own cot?

To be more precise: playing as Holland and I have the Canaries. The Canaries' trade good adds value to the Castillan Andalucia cot and not to my Antwerpen. Is there any possible way to force the trade go through my own cot?

Thanks!

There are a number of factors that affect which CoT a province trades through. Merc/Free trade slider is especially important and one that Holland is not in a good position with. To maximize the chance a province trades through your CoTs you need to be full merc, the province needs to be same culture and religion as the CoT, and the CoT needs to be the closest available CoT. You can still run into scenarios where a province trades elsewhere because each province trading in a CoT decreases the chance of the next province "in line" trading there due to overpopulation.

The one thing you can try in your situation is embargoing Castille but that may just move the Canaries to Genoa or Ile-de-France instead and will cost you trade efficiency.

If you find too much of your territory trading through another COT even you have your own nearby, you could embargo that COT.
In my Byz game I controlled North-Africa, made Tunis a COT and renamed it Carthago, still everything west of it decided to trade through Andalucia, since Castille is a d*ck as always, I decided to embargo him as he did me, so now my COT value doubled, since former Morocco/Algiers territory traded through my own.

Excuse me for using this thread for a related question:

As France AD 1580 I have the European CoT's Antwerpen, Genua, Paris, Navarra and Metz.

Antwerpen and Genua are large and rich, Paris and Metz are mediocre (~300d total) (but Metz still attracts some trade from the HRE, and Navarra from the Iberian peninsula, which is nice I assume).

In the new world I have the East coast South of Brazil, the Caribean islands and almost all mainland coast, and some areas on the East coast of Northern America. All these provinces trade through my CoT in Pensacola, at a total of over 2000d.

(Brazil and the rest of the Americas except West Coast are Castillian).

Is there any reason to add another CoT in America, or to remove one or more CoT's in mainland Europe?

Having played only one campaign as France as yet, I don't have much experience in what is important in the rules about CoT's.

Excuse me for using this thread for a related question:

As France AD 1580 I have the European CoT's Antwerpen, Genua, Paris, Navarra and Metz.

Antwerpen and Genua are large and rich, Paris and Metz are mediocre (~300d total) (but Metz still attracts some trade from the HRE, and Navarra from the Iberian peninsula, which is nice I assume).

In the new world I have the East coast South of Brazil, the Caribean islands and almost all mainland coast, and some areas on the East coast of Northern America. All these provinces trade through my CoT in Pensacola, at a total of over 2000d.

(Brazil and the rest of the Americas except West Coast are Castillian).

Is there any reason to add another CoT in America, or to remove one or more CoT's in mainland Europe?

Having played only one campaign as France as yet, I don't have much experience in what is important in the rules about CoT's.

If you are a blobby mercantalist there is rarely a good reason to have more than 1 CoT per continent. The only reason to do so is if you find a number of your provinces are trading through someone else's CoT. The fewer CoTs you have the easier it is to maintain full monopolies in them both due to needing fewer merchants and due to the penalty to compete for having more merchants placed. In your situation I would almost definitely implode Paris since all of its trade will be absorbed by another of your CoTs and you will gain 3% compete chance (or maybe more, it's 3% at full free trade) by losing those 6 placed merchants. Granted you will still be 99% against most nations but some of those pesky free trade nations can get you below that if you have too many merchants out.

Brifbates is right. However, if you close too many CoTs, be prepared for new CoTs to pop up randomly. Some of these may compete directly with you if they pop up in the wrong place. The game is set to create new CoTs for every 35 (?) provinces. Also, your competitors can create a new CoT in any province that currently trades through a CoT with more than 500 ducats value. Something to keep in mind.

Thank you for your answers.

I closed Paris, and all is well. I think it slightly improved my position in Antwerpen, because now I have a larger number of provinces trading there.

I am surprised that all of England trades in Antwerpen, and it doesn't open a CoT for itself, but I am not complaining.

I also just diplo-annexed my vassal Brittany, which was a great trader itself (and the fourth largest colonist as well - I was actually a bit sorry for them disappearing).
I think it almost doubled my trade income temporarily because of all the free trader places in my CoT's.

Which made me wonder: could it be true that having a very competent trader as a vassal brings in more money through the vassal then after annexing them, or is no trading money transferred from the vassal to the liege?

The only money you get from a vassal is half the tax income. Trade and production don't give any benefit.

silk ?!

Off topic to my own thread lol....

Anyone knows how come there is no silk trade good ?! Just realized that. And personally I find it a bit odd. And as Ming you even get event of brigands on the silk road or something like that.

Pitty...

Last edited:
Off topic to my own thread lol....

Anyone knows how come there is no silk trade good ?! Just realized that. And personally I find it a bit odd. And as Ming you even get event of brigands on the silk road or something like that.

Pitty...

Who cares about some overly expensive fabric...What about opium - an essential, healing drug for the sick? ;)

If you find too much of your territory trading through another COT even you have your own nearby, you could embargo that COT.
In my Byz game I controlled North-Africa, made Tunis a COT and renamed it Carthago, still everything west of it decided to trade through Andalucia, since Castille is a d*ck as always, I decided to embargo him as he did me, so now my COT value doubled, since former Morocco/Algiers territory traded through my own.

Embargoed and it works great, all my provinces trade through my Antwerpen CoT. Thanks!

Embargoed and it works great, all my provinces trade through my Antwerpen CoT. Thanks!

Just keep in mind that every embargo incurs a trade efficiency hit. One or maybe two isn't a huge deal but if you fire off too many you can end up hurting your income worse than just allowing those provinces to trade through other CoTs.

Just keep in mind that every embargo incurs a trade efficiency hit. One or maybe two isn't a huge deal but if you fire off too many you can end up hurting your income worse than just allowing those provinces to trade through other CoTs.

So, I take it that the trade efficiency doesn't "replenish" itself so to speak? Say you embargo country X, got what you wanted and then revoke the embargo. Doesn't your trade efficiency recover to the level it was before the action?

So, I take it that the trade efficiency doesn't "replenish" itself so to speak? Say you embargo country X, got what you wanted and then revoke the embargo. Doesn't your trade efficiency recover to the level it was before the action?

Yes. The penalty of -5% trade efficiency is only in effect whilst the embargo is in effect.