+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: forcing own trade goods through own cot?

  1. #1

    Question forcing own trade goods through own cot?

    Hello!

    How can I force trade from my own provinces to go through my own cot?

    To be more precise: playing as Holland and I have the Canaries. The Canaries' trade good adds value to the Castillan Andalucia cot and not to my Antwerpen. Is there any possible way to force the trade go through my own cot?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    There are a number of factors that affect which CoT a province trades through. Merc/Free trade slider is especially important and one that Holland is not in a good position with. To maximize the chance a province trades through your CoTs you need to be full merc, the province needs to be same culture and religion as the CoT, and the CoT needs to be the closest available CoT. You can still run into scenarios where a province trades elsewhere because each province trading in a CoT decreases the chance of the next province "in line" trading there due to overpopulation.

    The one thing you can try in your situation is embargoing Castille but that may just move the Canaries to Genoa or Ile-de-France instead and will cost you trade efficiency.

  3. #3
    If you find too much of your territory trading through another COT even you have your own nearby, you could embargo that COT.
    In my Byz game I controlled North-Africa, made Tunis a COT and renamed it Carthago, still everything west of it decided to trade through Andalucia, since Castille is a d*ck as always, I decided to embargo him as he did me, so now my COT value doubled, since former Morocco/Algiers territory traded through my own.

  4. #4
    Buh

    Ok, thank you very much!

  5. #5
    First Lieutenant springel's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III CollectionMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandRise of Prussia500k club

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Groningen, NL
    Posts
    224
    Excuse me for using this thread for a related question:

    As France AD 1580 I have the European CoT's Antwerpen, Genua, Paris, Navarra and Metz.

    Antwerpen and Genua are large and rich, Paris and Metz are mediocre (~300d total) (but Metz still attracts some trade from the HRE, and Navarra from the Iberian peninsula, which is nice I assume).

    In the new world I have the East coast South of Brazil, the Caribean islands and almost all mainland coast, and some areas on the East coast of Northern America. All these provinces trade through my CoT in Pensacola, at a total of over 2000d.

    (Brazil and the rest of the Americas except West Coast are Castillian).

    Is there any reason to add another CoT in America, or to remove one or more CoT's in mainland Europe?

    Having played only one campaign as France as yet, I don't have much experience in what is important in the rules about CoT's.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by springel View Post
    Excuse me for using this thread for a related question:

    As France AD 1580 I have the European CoT's Antwerpen, Genua, Paris, Navarra and Metz.

    Antwerpen and Genua are large and rich, Paris and Metz are mediocre (~300d total) (but Metz still attracts some trade from the HRE, and Navarra from the Iberian peninsula, which is nice I assume).

    In the new world I have the East coast South of Brazil, the Caribean islands and almost all mainland coast, and some areas on the East coast of Northern America. All these provinces trade through my CoT in Pensacola, at a total of over 2000d.

    (Brazil and the rest of the Americas except West Coast are Castillian).

    Is there any reason to add another CoT in America, or to remove one or more CoT's in mainland Europe?

    Having played only one campaign as France as yet, I don't have much experience in what is important in the rules about CoT's.
    If you are a blobby mercantalist there is rarely a good reason to have more than 1 CoT per continent. The only reason to do so is if you find a number of your provinces are trading through someone else's CoT. The fewer CoTs you have the easier it is to maintain full monopolies in them both due to needing fewer merchants and due to the penalty to compete for having more merchants placed. In your situation I would almost definitely implode Paris since all of its trade will be absorbed by another of your CoTs and you will gain 3% compete chance (or maybe more, it's 3% at full free trade) by losing those 6 placed merchants. Granted you will still be 99% against most nations but some of those pesky free trade nations can get you below that if you have too many merchants out.

  7. #7
    Lt. General Kurblius's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,218
    Brifbates is right. However, if you close too many CoTs, be prepared for new CoTs to pop up randomly. Some of these may compete directly with you if they pop up in the wrong place. The game is set to create new CoTs for every 35 (?) provinces. Also, your competitors can create a new CoT in any province that currently trades through a CoT with more than 500 ducats value. Something to keep in mind.
    How to Disinherit Your Children: A List
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...hildren-A-List

  8. #8
    First Lieutenant springel's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III CollectionMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandRise of Prussia500k club

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Groningen, NL
    Posts
    224
    Thank you for your answers.

    I closed Paris, and all is well. I think it slightly improved my position in Antwerpen, because now I have a larger number of provinces trading there.

    I am surprised that all of England trades in Antwerpen, and it doesn't open a CoT for itself, but I am not complaining.

    I also just diplo-annexed my vassal Brittany, which was a great trader itself (and the fourth largest colonist as well - I was actually a bit sorry for them disappearing).
    I think it almost doubled my trade income temporarily because of all the free trader places in my CoT's.

    Which made me wonder: could it be true that having a very competent trader as a vassal brings in more money through the vassal then after annexing them, or is no trading money transferred from the vassal to the liege?

  9. #9
    Lt. General Kurblius's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,218
    Money from vassals is peanuts compared to trade, especially late game. And Brittany is one of the most evil free trading buggers in the game, so I fully advocate it's complete destruction. Vassals will continue to compete in your CoTs regardless.
    How to Disinherit Your Children: A List
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...hildren-A-List

  10. #10
    The only money you get from a vassal is half the tax income. Trade and production don't give any benefit.
    MP Resume:
    Ended Campaigns

    Steam: Y2Jonathan
    Skype: Y2Jonathan

  11. #11

    silk ?!

    Off topic to my own thread lol....

    Anyone knows how come there is no silk trade good ?! Just realized that. And personally I find it a bit odd. And as Ming you even get event of brigands on the silk road or something like that.

    Pitty...
    Last edited by moraruro; 28-06-2012 at 12:24.

  12. #12
    Lt. General Kurblius's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by moraruro View Post
    Off topic to my own thread lol....

    Anyone knows how come there is no silk trade good ?! Just realized that. And personally I find it a bit odd. And as Ming you even get event of brigands on the silk road or something like that.

    Pitty...
    Who cares about some overly expensive fabric...What about opium - an essential, healing drug for the sick?
    How to Disinherit Your Children: A List
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...hildren-A-List

  13. #13
    Banned Iwanow's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY_INDEP
    Posts
    8,713
    Quote Originally Posted by moraruro View Post
    Off topic to my own thread lol....

    Anyone knows how come there is no silk trade good ?! Just realized that. And personally I find it a bit odd. And as Ming you even get event of brigands on the silk road or something like that.

    Pitty...
    Well i suppose, cloth covers that...

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Hans View Post
    If you find too much of your territory trading through another COT even you have your own nearby, you could embargo that COT.
    In my Byz game I controlled North-Africa, made Tunis a COT and renamed it Carthago, still everything west of it decided to trade through Andalucia, since Castille is a d*ck as always, I decided to embargo him as he did me, so now my COT value doubled, since former Morocco/Algiers territory traded through my own.
    Embargoed and it works great, all my provinces trade through my Antwerpen CoT. Thanks!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by moraruro View Post
    Off topic to my own thread lol....

    Anyone knows how come there is no silk trade good ?! Just realized that. And personally I find it a bit odd. And as Ming you even get event of brigands on the silk road or something like that.

    Pitty...
    Silk is meant to be included under Chinaware.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Siralus View Post
    Silk is meant to be included under Chinaware.
    how come? chinaware is ceramics, porcelain...

  17. #17
    Banned Iwanow's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY_INDEP
    Posts
    8,713
    Quote Originally Posted by moraruro View Post
    how come? chinaware is ceramics, porcelain...
    Chinaware - things of china i suppose XD.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by moraruro View Post
    Embargoed and it works great, all my provinces trade through my Antwerpen CoT. Thanks!
    Just keep in mind that every embargo incurs a trade efficiency hit. One or maybe two isn't a huge deal but if you fire off too many you can end up hurting your income worse than just allowing those provinces to trade through other CoTs.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by brifbates View Post
    Just keep in mind that every embargo incurs a trade efficiency hit. One or maybe two isn't a huge deal but if you fire off too many you can end up hurting your income worse than just allowing those provinces to trade through other CoTs.
    So, I take it that the trade efficiency doesn't "replenish" itself so to speak? Say you embargo country X, got what you wanted and then revoke the embargo. Doesn't your trade efficiency recover to the level it was before the action?

  20. #20
    Lt. General Kurblius's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by moraruro View Post
    So, I take it that the trade efficiency doesn't "replenish" itself so to speak? Say you embargo country X, got what you wanted and then revoke the embargo. Doesn't your trade efficiency recover to the level it was before the action?
    Yes. The penalty of -5% trade efficiency is only in effect whilst the embargo is in effect.
    How to Disinherit Your Children: A List
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...hildren-A-List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts