+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I thought rebels in EU3 are annoying, rebels in CK2 are even more annoying, but...

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by Erebos26 View Post
    It was not forced on them. the Scottish monarch inherited England! not the other way around! really they merged because the Stuart dynasty took over england.
    Read up on the Act of Union.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

again. they agreed to it. it wasn't forced on them
    If everyone thinks alike, like kids try to do during school, then the world would be incredibally boring.

My Sengoku AAR- Rise of the Miura Clan: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...2#post12939972

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of War

again. they agreed to it. it wasn't forced on them
    They "agreed" to it because they were in massive debt and England offered to assume it.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

but they still said yes
    If everyone thinks alike, like kids try to do during school, then the world would be incredibally boring.

My Sengoku AAR- Rise of the Miura Clan: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...2#post12939972

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Münster, the Holy City of Zion, Capital of the World
    Quote Originally Posted by calvinhobbeslik View Post
    They "agreed" to it because they were in massive debt and England offered to assume it.
    Actually same way Bavaria got to be in the German Empire.
    Prussia paid their debt and as a quid pro quo the bavarian king was the one offering the Prussian king the German Imperial Crown.
    It is a matter of a king saying yes, granted, but in a time were even the more liberal minded people still had a hard time thinking of a world without kings, the kings word was the peoples word.
    As for no common cultural heritage:
    I would think that something like 800 years of warfare <nd unions has breed some kind of mutual culture and linguistic similarities.
    Also Scottish is no more an independent langauge than Bavarian. Both are dialects, nothing more.
    And as far as i know Scotland does not even do the 'original language teaching' that Ireland tries to do, though with mixed success.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Glasgow, Salmondist Republic of Caledonia
    Am I the only Scot who gets a bit offended by foreigners constantly inferring that we are not free and that we exist as subjects to the English? I'm not usually insulted on national terms but I think some people have watched too much Braveheart.

We are British living in the UK and Scots in our own segment of it. We are barely even different.
    "I dont get people. I don't see the appeal exactly. They waddle around, wearing their haircuts, cluttering up the pavement like gormless, farting skittles. They're awful." - Charlie Brooker

Field Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by cpreston5 View Post
    Am I the only Scot who gets a bit offended by foreigners constantly inferring that we are not free and that we exist as subjects to the English? I'm not usually insulted on national terms but I think some people have watched too much Braveheart.

We are British living in the UK and Scots in our own segment of it. We are barely even different.
    Then stop making a fuss about Scottish Independence and the referendum.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Münster, the Holy City of Zion, Capital of the World

Actually i got my glasses from 'Trainspotting'.
    "It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a SHITE state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!"

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Glasgow, Salmondist Republic of Caledonia
    Quote Originally Posted by ywhtptgtfo View Post
    Then stop making a fuss about Scottish Independence and the referendum.
    That's Salmond the Hutt making the noise, and the SNP. Most Scots right now aren't in favour of independence, but they vote for the SNP because they have the same social-democrat economic policies as Labour, plus it seems as though they are more focused on issues specific to Scotland and they have good enviromental policies.

People just put up with the incessant calls for independence and the media just exploits the issue for sales. We honestly don't care in general.

And Trainspotting is excellent, but bear in mind the guy's an uninformed junkie.

Anywho this is very offtopic.
    "I dont get people. I don't see the appeal exactly. They waddle around, wearing their haircuts, cluttering up the pavement like gormless, farting skittles. They're awful." - Charlie Brooker

Quote Originally Posted by calvinhobbeslik View Post
    Don't forget that Westminster had made it pretty clear they weren't going to tolerate a potentially hostile power to their rear any more. Scotland got fairly good terms for union, considering that otherwise the English probably would have found a good excuse to conquer them had they refused.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Field Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Naselus View Post
    Don't forget that Westminster had made it pretty clear they weren't going to tolerate a potentially hostile power to their rear any more. Scotland got fairly good terms for union, considering that otherwise the English probably would have found a good excuse to conquer them had they refused.
    I am under the impression that the union was quite widely opposed anyway, although the leading politicians managed to blaze through it.

IMO, the union is a good thing for both countries though.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Because a thread about rebels has anything to do with the British-Scottish relation
    Although i agree rebels are a bit crazy
    [22:23:51] <Groogy> Mathrim, give it to me gently
    What Crusader Kings 2 makes you say:
    [19:23:43] <Duke> I just need my damn wife to die
    [19:23:48] <Duke> Then I can invade and take their shit

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

but they still said yes
    But not for cultural reasons. It was a political/dynastic decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Klausewitz View Post
    Actually same way Bavaria got to be in the German Empire.
    Prussia paid their debt and as a quid pro quo the bavarian king was the one offering the Prussian king the German Imperial Crown.
    It is a matter of a king saying yes, granted, but in a time were even the more liberal minded people still had a hard time thinking of a world without kings, the kings word was the peoples word.
    As for no common cultural heritage:
    I would think that something like 800 years of warfare <nd unions has breed some kind of mutual culture and linguistic similarities.
    Also Scottish is no more an independent langauge than Bavarian. Both are dialects, nothing more.
    And as far as i know Scotland does not even do the 'original language teaching' that Ireland tries to do, though with mixed success.
    I'm just going to address your points as they relate to the game, because I feel like my post has started to derail this discussion. The Scots language is Celtic in origin and so are the Scots themselves. The English were many Anglo-Saxon invaders from Denmark and Northern Germany. Of course, as neighbors they affected each other, but my original point was that through game mechanics (Scottish Nationalist rebels or a Free People CB) Scotland can become independent. I disagree that they should be so easily re-absorbed when the UK inevitably spheres them. I don't think this makes much sense.

Well, I'm not saying your aren't free. I'm just saying that a Scotsman living in this game's era would be unlikely to rise up in revolt of an independent Scotland and demand to be re-united with England.

Quote Originally Posted by ywhtptgtfo View Post
    I am under the impression that the union was quite widely opposed anyway, although the leading politicians managed to blaze through it.

IMO, the union is a good thing for both countries though.
    I was also under that impression. The countries had warred with each other for centuries and Scotland maintained an alliance with England's arch-nemesis France (the Auld Alliance) specifically to guard against an English invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by videonfan View Post
    Because a thread about rebels has anything to do with the British-Scottish relation
    Although i agree rebels are a bit crazy
    Sorry for starting this mess! The point was supposed to relate to problems I was having with the Pan-nationalist rebel mechanic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2