• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

birdike12

Sergeant
38 Badges
Mar 12, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hey,

I wonder if anyone managed to be successful in playing a Horde using 5.2 beta (vanilla or some mod which does not change too much)?

I checked the wiki but the GH article is not up to date for 5.2.

I'm especially interested in playing the GH (though if you have experience with other Hordes, please share!) and something I was thinking about a lot if it is possible to do a successful campaign without switching away from being a horde? I know tech alone will be a huge issue later on, and since I'm not a military expert in EU3 I'm not sure if by using cavalry and good terrain/generals together with big numbers, is it possible to win wars against MUCH higher tech level enemies that are not OPMs or small states... If anyone has any input on this, please share!

Also if there is such an AAR in DW 5.2b (or 5.1) of anyone I'm really interested in it.

Thanks.

Well since I was able to beat ming as the mongol khanate (due to superior cavalry, military tradition, etc.) , I'm sure every horde is quite playable, you'll just have to learn to deal with rebels!

The hardest part of a horde game is right before you westernise and during westernisation, you want to be sure you have no powerful neighbours then!

Yeah, I read the PrawnStar AAR but it was way before DW so the Horde mechanics are not present.

So as I understand changing your government from the horde one is a must, since I just read on the wiki that you can't even build ships with a horde...

pretty much, either you do it by forming mughals or the hard way
Unless ofcourse you're so skilled that all of europe is conquered before the tech gap becomes an issue, but that's just silly :p

Well you can try building armies up to the minting limit(to the point you gain 1 ducat at full minting) and start conquering until you reach lisboa, safi, malaysia, korea and the southern african tribes, then form mughals, start building fleet, and invade all island countries. Best to do it with timurids - try allying golden horde, and making royal marriages with all muslim hordes(to get chance for random inheritance). I suppose it IS possible to do it before 1500. Not sure thou, this is just a mere assumption.

In theory you can conquer all of Europe, sans islands, and the middle east before you fall too far behind in tech. Just be careful about your conquest, so that you always only fight one big enemy at a time.
Then you should try get the Timurids, preferably by inheriting a PU, or else just conquest. Then you can westernise using the Mughal Empire event, and grab the rest of the world.

The big problem with playing as a horde is that they don't have any way to wipe out armies. All the normal ways are disabled for hordes, so it's like fighting in the bad old days of EU3 v1.0. It means you may have to chase ping-ponging armies for years before the finally get wiped out. It's incredibly tedious, and in my mind makes hordes unplayable.

As a minor problem, you will also get the unlawful territory event when you conquer the HRE. Here I would recommend you just cheat, and change the event so it doesn't apply to Hordes. The current version is just silly.

As a minor problem, you will also get the unlawful territory event when you conquer the HRE. Here I would recommend you just cheat, and change the event so it doesn't apply to Hordes. The current version is just silly.
Wasn't this patched in 5.2? The 5.1 and below way around it is declare war on another horde. The event only fires if you're not at war, and a horde being at war with a non-horde doesn't count as a war.

Use this time to disable the HRE!

Wasn't this patched in 5.2? The 5.1 and below way around it is declare war on another horde. The event only fires if you're not at war, and a horde being at war with a non-horde doesn't count as a war.
It's changed in 5.2 so Formal Request only fires for Christian countries.