+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help requested: How to play the Hordes (DW 5.2 beta)?

Help requested: How to play the Hordes (DW 5.2 beta)?

Hey,

I wonder if anyone managed to be successful in playing a Horde using 5.2 beta (vanilla or some mod which does not change too much)?

I checked the wiki but the GH article is not up to date for 5.2.

I'm especially interested in playing the GH (though if you have experience with other Hordes, please share!) and something I was thinking about a lot if it is possible to do a successful campaign without switching away from being a horde? I know tech alone will be a huge issue later on, and since I'm not a military expert in EU3 I'm not sure if by using cavalry and good terrain/generals together with big numbers, is it possible to win wars against MUCH higher tech level enemies that are not OPMs or small states... If anyone has any input on this, please share!

Also if there is such an AAR in DW 5.2b (or 5.1) of anyone I'm really interested in it.

Thanks.

Eventually you will reach a point where regardless of your numbers, their tech is just too much and even their smallest stacks will wipe yours.

PrawnStar did a world conquest as Golden Horde, but that may have been before the major overhauls from Divine Wind...

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLead and Gold
    MagickaMount & Blade: Warband500k club

Well since I was able to beat ming as the mongol khanate (due to superior cavalry, military tradition, etc.) , I'm sure every horde is quite playable, you'll just have to learn to deal with rebels!

The hardest part of a horde game is right before you westernise and during westernisation, you want to be sure you have no powerful neighbours then!

Yeah, I read the PrawnStar AAR but it was way before DW so the Horde mechanics are not present.

So as I understand changing your government from the horde one is a must, since I just read on the wiki that you can't even build ships with a horde...

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLead and Gold
    MagickaMount & Blade: Warband500k club

Quote Originally Posted by birdike12 View Post
    Yeah, I read the PrawnStar AAR but it was way before DW so the Horde mechanics are not present.

So as I understand changing your government from the horde one is a must, since I just read on the wiki that you can't even build ships with a horde...
    pretty much, either you do it by forming mughals or the hard way
    Unless ofcourse you're so skilled that all of europe is conquered before the tech gap becomes an issue, but that's just silly

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Well you can try building armies up to the minting limit(to the point you gain 1 ducat at full minting) and start conquering until you reach lisboa, safi, malaysia, korea and the southern african tribes, then form mughals, start building fleet, and invade all island countries. Best to do it with timurids - try allying golden horde, and making royal marriages with all muslim hordes(to get chance for random inheritance). I suppose it IS possible to do it before 1500. Not sure thou, this is just a mere assumption.

In theory you can conquer all of Europe, sans islands, and the middle east before you fall too far behind in tech. Just be careful about your conquest, so that you always only fight one big enemy at a time.
    Then you should try get the Timurids, preferably by inheriting a PU, or else just conquest. Then you can westernise using the Mughal Empire event, and grab the rest of the world.

The big problem with playing as a horde is that they don't have any way to wipe out armies. All the normal ways are disabled for hordes, so it's like fighting in the bad old days of EU3 v1.0. It means you may have to chase ping-ponging armies for years before the finally get wiped out. It's incredibly tedious, and in my mind makes hordes unplayable.

As a minor problem, you will also get the unlawful territory event when you conquer the HRE. Here I would recommend you just cheat, and change the event so it doesn't apply to Hordes. The current version is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by idont View Post
    As a minor problem, you will also get the unlawful territory event when you conquer the HRE. Here I would recommend you just cheat, and change the event so it doesn't apply to Hordes. The current version is just silly.
    Wasn't this patched in 5.2? The 5.1 and below way around it is declare war on another horde. The event only fires if you're not at war, and a horde being at war with a non-horde doesn't count as a war.

Use this time to disable the HRE!

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaParadoxian Order - 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Conax View Post
    Wasn't this patched in 5.2? The 5.1 and below way around it is declare war on another horde. The event only fires if you're not at war, and a horde being at war with a non-horde doesn't count as a war.
    It's changed in 5.2 so Formal Request only fires for Christian countries.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

+ Reply to Thread