• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(141006)

Buddhist
4 Badges
May 2, 2009
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
Playing from 1914 (AAR mod) with UK. Managed to kick out Ottomans from the war in 1915 but I had 35 ships in the Black sea that got stuck there after they got back Istanbul. Can't pass the strait and they're out of supply. What now?

Last edited:
You have two options.

1. Ally with the owner of Istanbul

2. Conquer Istanbul

+1
or at least, to be blocked you have to keep very bad relations to the owner...

Yeah, Greece got Istanbul after the war vs Ottomans, sure I had -200 with Ottomans so it's understandable I couldn't pass, but I got +120 with Greece so it's a bit weird.

Was that how it was in real life? I mean was the Soviet Black Sea fleet and the Romanian Navy forever trapped in the 1920s and 1930s?

Was that how it was in real life? I mean was the Soviet Black Sea fleet and the Romanian Navy forever trapped in the 1920s and 1930s?

According to Paradox yeah.

wiki said:
During World War II, through February 1945, when Turkey was neutral for most of the length of the conflict, the Dardanelles were closed to the ships of the belligerent nations. In the conferences during World War II, Soviet leader Joseph Stalin openly requested the concession of Soviet military bases on the Straits, even though Turkey was not involved in the war. This incident, coupled with Stalin's demands for the restitution of the Turkish provinces of Kars, Artvin and Ardahan to the Soviet Union (which were lost by Turkey with the Russo–Turkish War of 1877–1878, but were regained with the Treaty of Kars in 1921) was one of the main reasons why Turkey decided to give up its general principle of neutrality in foreign affairs. Turkey did declare war against Germany in February 1945, but did not engage in offensive actions

Situation according to wiki, make of that what you will.

It's 1930, wanted to help an old ally (Russia, only 1 province (Petrograd)) and they joined our alliance and we got into war with the Soviets. It's a FULL stalemate at Petrograd and the turkish border (Turkey is my puppet) and I can't access the Black Sea to launch some amphibious assaults... Damn it!

I think the issue is with 'trapped fleets' more than anything. Woe betide any British fleet (for example) that's in the Baltic when Germany conquers Copenhagen... suddenly they are trapped there and cease to exist shortly. Should probably be able to 'sneak move' it, or just try and force the strait - or at least permit fleets to return to their bases when that happens.

I think the issue is with 'trapped fleets' more than anything. Woe betide any British fleet (for example) that's in the Baltic when Germany conquers Copenhagen... suddenly they are trapped there and cease to exist shortly. Should probably be able to 'sneak move' it, or just try and force the strait - or at least permit fleets to return to their bases when that happens.

But in that case it's understandable if Germany and UK are at war.

But in that case it's understandable if Germany and UK are at war.

Closing off a strait to an adversary or a nation with very low relations makes perfect sense. I just don't understand why the Black Sea Fleet and the Romanian navy must be trapped in the Black Sea when they're not even at war with Turkey or with anyone else. Same goes for all other nations.

And given Serenissima's example above, I'd love to see an option that allows the trapped fleet to fight it's way through, but I doubt the game engine would allow it to modified.

It greatly hurts the Soviets: a majority of their starting navy is basically useless. It's not like the Turks would deny the Soviets from passing through, if the Soviets went through they wouldn't risk antagonizing them.