• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Absolutely hate steam. Got caught unawares by NWAC and was not happy. Stopped playing Football manager because of it and stopped playing total war because of it. Would hate to have to just stick with the paradox games that I have at present but would seriously consider doing so if steam was my only option. Irrational maybe, nose and face definitely, but can't help it. If NWAC wasn't released by paradox it would have already been uninstalled and deleted. I just don't want steam on my computers. There, rant over.

My issue isn't with ease of use and I've managed to 'have the intelligemce' to install and play via Steam in the past. However, I'm opposed in principle to buying a game that's for my own personal use that - thanks to Steam - I have to be on-line to install, Steam dictates which drive I install it to and ultimately prevents me selling the game on should I ever choose to do so.
Maybe I'm a stick in the mud, but I've been strategy gaming for a long time and I know of no other gaming platform that treats it's users in such a manner.

Well then it sucks for you because I don't think there doing a hard copied version and any digital service requires you to be online in order to install, including Gamersgate, also I agree about the not selling part, they should add that. Also I don't use gamersgate as I've heard that sometimes games get lost, and its incredibly difficult to contact them, and while steam isn't too fast on tickets either I've never needed to contact them.

If this is anything as good as what's been released lately by PI I'll be adding it to my daily play collection via Steam. Speaking of Steam, I remember when it was cool to bash M$, guess Steam is the cool thing to complain about now. Well whatever...they provide what I find to be a easy way to buy and track my games and I could care less about all the big brother stuff some people whine about. I now keep reference books where game cases used to sit and I find that a much more useful role for my bookshelf space. :)

Back on topic of the game, will there be new forum avatars? I would love a French imperial flag.

That does not say much about Steam. It could be - and I fervently hope - that steam is <1% of your market, and thus the rest is normal hard copy distribution.

Steam is a vile thing. The main selling point of PI games - for me - were always been their DMR free nature.

Not to mention that GG has much better features than Steam.

Why? Please explain.

I always buy games where they are the cheapest, whether that be Steam, GamersGate or retail. Don't see what the fuss is all about, though I get why a developer/publisher would want to cut of parts of the market that aren't very big and focus on those that are.

Why? Please explain.

Because it requires you to keep a program installed on your computer. Whenever you want to play a game (unless you go through the trouble of making your own shortcuts and buy only steam drm-free games) you have to open it and be bombarded with ads.

It's everything that's wrong with the 21st century, and the sickest thing is that it works.

Because it requires you to keep a program installed on your computer. Whenever you want to play a game (unless you go through the trouble of making your own shortcuts and buy only steam drm-free games) you have to open it and be bombarded with ads.

It's everything that's wrong with the 21st century, and the sickest thing is that it works.

Bombarded with ads? I have never seen an add on steam, they have just released games on their store page, and new content, not too mention daily deals but I don't consider them adds as their not third party products, Gamersgate however does have adds. By the way if you think this is everything that's wrong with the 21st Century then you must live in a utopia and have never experienced adversity.

edit- Also when you install a game you are prompted to make a desktop shortcut just like with boxed games so your wrong about that too

I hate consumerism as much as you but have you actually used steam? When I open up the suite it opens straight into my games library, no ads, just my games.

Really? The core fans of PI grand strategies that have been playing them since many years are concerned by their accessibility? Really :eek:hmy:??

Yes. At least if you file a well-arranged GUI, that doesn't force you to click a dozen times to perform a single task and gives you all information you need, or things like the new Vicky rallye points under accessibility.

And honestly the core fans of PI gs aren't that many. This gives a lot of potential, drive, and need for expansion, to which accessibility I'd imagine is vital to (I know the first time I tried to play a PI gs, HoI2 it was, I gave up; only the second time, when I decided I'd invest time into actually learning to play the damn game did I stick to it, and twice I've tried to play Ricky, and twice have I given it up). Bear in mind that accessibility needs not compromise complexity or difficulty of the game. Unless the game itself with its menus is your enemy, that is.

We'll see how it looks like in January, but GG is at about 6-7% of our market at the moment.

I'll never buy a Steam title, but admittedly I may well be a minority. Still, amongst tons of other issues, patching sucks on Steam, its very hard to rollback versions compared to GG, to name only a handful of the issues. Ive had TONS of fun with CK2 but I wouldnt have gotten it if there was no GG option. Plus, GG is actually a great site I like to support. You guys really should keep doing business with them.

Also, I have a friend holding out his CK2 purshase because all the big sales have been on Steam-sites. One person is nothing of course, but the fact the big sales have all happened on Steam sites DOES, as it inflates the amount of Steam users. I'd say once GG has sales equivalent to what Amazon offered recently, maybe your GG market ratio will crawl back up a couple points.

Nobody buys games in boxes anymore, and pretty much everyone buys them on Steam.

That is simply not true. I'm surprised you have put your name to such a statement.

Though I rue the fact that more and more, customers are being forced to either download through digital companies or give up purchasing games.

That is simply not true. I'm surprised you have put your name to such a statement.

Which part? Because we know pretty well what sells and where.

Plus, GG is actually a great site I like to support. You guys really should keep doing business with them.

If you want to see more focus on GG, it's actually you who should keep doing business with them (and by "you" I mean customers in general). If 90% of our customers chose to buy our games at GG, that would of course become our main focus instead of Steam. But 90% chose Steam.

If you want to see more focus on GG, it's actually you who should keep doing business with them (and by "you" I mean customers in general). If 90% of our customers chose to buy our games at GG, that would of course become our main focus instead of Steam. But 90% chose Steam.

1. Agreed, but if you guys don't release this game on GG, "we" don't have a choice but to deal with Steam.
2. That last sentence isn't entirely correct: I don't think 90% went "hmm, GG or Steam, GG or Steam... I'll choose Steam!" Most of the users probably never even heard of GG. I bet most Steam sales are from people who are already have other games on Steam and then saw this paradox game coming along and went "that looks cool, let's buy it." These are just my guesses of course, I could be wrong.