• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
As you may or may not know, the project formerly known as Napoleons Campaigns II, which was a Co.-production between Paradox France and Paradox Development Studio has been brought fully in-house to be developed further by PDS.

We wanted to give you some insight into production and an update. Basically we started with some ideas, some mechanics, an engine (Clausewitz) and assets, we then sat down and made our own design from the ground up. One of the key issues we had to address was how to make the game more accessible, these days accessibility is something by which our games are constantly measured against, both by the general gaming community but also our core audience. As you all know by now, with accessibility we don’t means less complex. Just easier to get into. We also had to review the project plans to ensure we stay away from further date slips.

Me, King & Birken sat down and talked for a long time, and we came up with what you can see below. It will be a game that looks and feels like what our gamers have come to expect from a PDS game.
We aim to have the game ready in Q1, and I'd describe this as a uniqe war-focused game in the napoleonic era, with diplomatic and economical aspects to it. Think Hearts of Iron (warfare focus) meets Sengoku (winning goal) with alot of EU influence (timeperiod).

So now we present - March of the Eagles, and here's the description of the game.

Take command as any European country in the year 1805 and steer it through the turbulent period of the Napoleonic wars. As one of the great powers seek to gain dominance of the continent or as a minor country try to choose the winning side. Featuring a streamlined unit system, giving you a number of basic building blocks to construct your armies from, but giving you unprecedented flexibility in army construction as the balances of unit types give the armies new roles and abilities. A highly flexible victory system that sees Britain and France pitted against each other for dominance over the continent, but should one stumble another country can pick up the baton. Each country has different paths to Victory, taking the Eagles into Spain and Russia over France its best ways to win but your path is yours. As for the other countries your routes to Victory lie in several directions, do you ally with France or oppose her, both routes are open to you. The destiny of Europe is in your hands, what will you do?

- A detailed European Map stretching from Lisbon to the Urals, with operational manuevers on a map with cities and forts.
- A detailed historical leader database featuring the major commanders of the Napoleonic Period
- A powerful army building system that is easy to grasp but offers powerful choices to the player, with units organised in flanks, centres & reserves.
- Combat system with selectable preferred tactics for your armies.
- A detailed supply system, where supply lines and control of cities is vital for your victory.
- Diplomatic gameplay, with coalitions, satellites and expeditionary forces.
- A flexible Victory system that allows for Historical choices but gives the players freedom to pursue their destiny
- A freeform system that creates a dynamic game experience that gives the player multiple replayability, which country do you choose, which gambit do you pick?
- Every country playable, with eight major nations that can win on their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds totally great. Will the map be in a similar format to Sengoku and CKII ?

Amazing.
One Question to you, Johan : Will you work with the new paradox expansion and patch policy, like you do at Crusader Kings 2, or will you work with the "old" expansion/patching system on March of the Eagles?

Last edited:
Wow! Napoleon's Campaigns II suddenly became much more interesting. Waiting for devdiaries.

Nice, I just listened to a TMA podcast that included King (a recorded panel discussion from PAX east), that gave a nice insight on what Paradox is trying to achieve. And it did sound promising.

Amazing.
One Question to you, Johan : Will you work with the new paradox expansion and patch policy, like you do at Crusader Kings 2, or will you work with the "old" expansion/patching system on March of the Eagles?

new system.

Wow! Napoleon's Campaigns II suddenly became much more interesting. Waiting for devdiaries.

Seconded. I wasn't interested before I knew this was using Clausewitz, and now that PDS is doing it, it just moved to the top of my list.

Also, finally we get a warfare-based strategy game in the Napoleonic Era the UI of which does not require a pilot license (or degree in quantum physics) to be understood.

Edit: Also, isn't it kind of remarkable how something that would be extremely bad news under any other developer (i.e. change of main developer) is actually seen as an entirely positive, motivating step by the community? Customer value pyramid at work, this is a testament to your reputation and your customers' trust in you, Paradox! I love this company and its community.

Seconded. I wasn't interested before I knew this was using Clausewitz, and now that PDS is doing it, it just moved to the top of my list.

Also, finally we get a warfare-based strategy game in the Napoleonic Era the UI of which does not require a pilot license (or degree in quantum physics) to be understood.

Yeah the Ageod games do cause a little bit of Brain seepage from the ears :)

Initially wasn't interested (not a big Napoleonic era fan) but the description has got me interested! Big question is firstly how moddable is this and secondly will the save games be similar enough to the code of EUIII to allow importation?

Initially wasn't interested (not a big Napoleonic era fan) but the description has got me interested! Big question is firstly how moddable is this and secondly will the save games be similar enough to the code of EUIII to allow importation?

its as moddable as all our games.. importing isn't that easy though, as you have to convert provinces

its as moddable as all our games.. importing isn't that easy though, as you have to convert provinces

Challenge accepted.

Does the game still have some non-European territories represented? When I saw the early verison in January, parts of India, North America and the Caribbean were in...

No.