Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A joint statement concerning Magna Mundi

A joint statement concerning Magna Mundi

We know that many of you have been wondering about the MM developers and there have been few statements. Some of us have thought long and hard about what we want to say and have decided to issue a joint statement.

A lot has happened behind the scenes, but none of it matters now. We have each terminated our contracts with Universo Virtual since we were only ever interested in the fate of Magna Mundi. While we wish Universo Virtual the best of luck in its future endeavors in spite of all has transpired, we do not in any way endorse legal action, nor expect it to accomplish much.

This has been an emotional and exhausting couple of weeks so far for all involved. We have said some unfortunate things that we now regret and for which we beg pardon. We also would like to thank all of our fans who have taken the time to show support for us. Unfortunately, it seems we did not quite make it to the finish line in time.

It has been a true honor and a privilege to work with many of the bright and talented people on the Magna Mundi team. Our team was a revolving door of faces and names, but we would like to take the time to acknowledge the many contributions of our former colleagues and pay tribute to their achievements.
    • Andres created a realistic map by combining many data sources with complex algorithms.
    • Anton maintained the MMDT history tools.
    • Brittany wrote a fantastic manual and the text of a truly innovative tutorial..
    • Carlos G. was a creative and ambitious guy without whom this project would never have started.
    • Carlos S. brought us a great new system of combat with an AI to match.
    • Daniel B. was an unsung hero who managed the server and kept things running.
    • Fernando M. gave us the unit models.
    • Hernan was an awesome beta tester and contributed to the Spanish translation.
    • Jacques gave us a shiny new naval system.
    • Jan contributed to work on the renderer and improving the look of the game..
    • Jorge G. did the large part of the UI engine work for the game .
    • Jorge M. contributed on many fronts, including Transferables.
    • Juan gave us factions, the engine work for the tutorial, counters, and was instrumental on the new renderer.
    • Miguel implemented rank, a new system of piracy, and animations, among other things.
    • Nick provided us with an excellent save game editing tool.
    • Rui did fantastic work on QA and provided support in many areas, including localization and balance.
    • Stefan gave us our attractive non-unit models.
    • Zaki gave us the implementations of the Tribal and Merchant Marine mechanics.
    • Others, such as Brent, Joseph, Alex L., Alex W., Julien, and the many other betas and contributors to the project also made important contributions to the project.
    • All of the Paradox betas who tried to help us test our game, with a special mention to Seelensturm, who singlehandedly reported around 100 bugs. In truth, most of the versions you saw were more like alpha versions, and we thank you for your commitment, good will, and patience in the face of everything.

We do not know what the future holds. We feel that it takes honesty, openness, and trust to ever build anything worth doing like Magna Mundi. Should Paradox see fit to continue the game in any form, we would gladly offer our services. That is, after all, what we wanted, and still want: to see the fruits of our collective labor. Whatever comes to pass, all we know is that at least some of us may work together again.

Yours,

James Coe (Vishaing, Former Scripter, Magna Mundi)
    Daniel Danborg (RevoltingFriend, Former Artist, Magna Mundi)
    Merse Kovácsházi (k_merse, Former Database Editor, Magna Mundi)
    Jun-Hee Lee (Ese Khan, Former Scripter, Magna Mundi)
    Lars Maischak (Helius, Former Scripting Lead, Magna Mundi)
    Michael Myers (MichaelM, Former Engine Developer, Magna Mundi)
    Anuraag Pakanati (Zeitgeist, Former Engine Lead, Magna Mundi)
    Ignacio Sagüés Serrano (LoK-y-Yo, Former Spanish Translator, Magna Mundi)
    Maxim Yudin (Ignatich, Former Engine Developer, Magna Mundi)

Great post! I wish you all luck in the future!

Very well said... Thank you for the candor. Thank you for the hard work. Lets hope that Paradox take note of your honesty and offer to assist in bringing the game to release. Best Wishes in the Future...

I hope none of you suffered too much from this. You did your best and that's all that matters.
    We do not know what the future holds. We feel that it takes honesty, openness, and trust to ever build anything worth doing like Magna Mundi. Should Paradox see fit to continue the game in any form, we would gladly offer our services. That is, after all, what we wanted, and still want: to see the fruits of our collective labor. Whatever comes to pass, all we know is that at least some of us may work together again.
    I hope PI will accept this offer and use your talent at best to bring us the game we were waiting for

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

What are Paradox' options now that you aren't bound by any contractual obligations? Create a new entity for the purpose and enlist you? (I guess it's somewhat of a must to ensure proper support and supervision after release, should one ever happen?)

Being powerless to assist the cause in any way, I guess all I can do is to thank you for sharing wonderful ideas and vision, for the effort to implement that vision, and to wish good fortune to all of you. Winds be at your back.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Best of luck. We appreciate your efforts, and I hope some day Paradox will decide to continue MMtG so that we may enjoy the fruits of your countless hours of labor.
    You must unlearn what you have learned

The situation is sad, but the best wishes to all of you, I hope the project does see the light of day.
    They had nothing to lose.. And everything to win.

Špekulant
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card Game
    Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

A great statement, although some would say it should have come earlier. Nevertheless, good luck and may your efforts not come in vain.

Well this is basically "Oh shit, we're outta here". Do you really need a "joint statement" for that(except self-glorifying, of course). One could have hoped they would shed some light on the matter.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Amallric View Post
    Well this is basically "Oh shit, we're outta here". Do you really need a "joint statement" for that(except self-glorifying, of course). One could have hoped they would shed some light on the matter.
    That's not what they said atall. Did you read the statement?
    MEIOU and Taxes for EUIV - Download Now!
    Development Diary | Wiki | Release announcement | Facebook
    'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except Death MEIOU and Taxes' -Benjamin Franklin
    Death and Taxes - an EUIII DW mod
    'Is this version save game compatible?' -Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Amallric View Post
    It really is not self glorifying. They expressly state that they've said things that they regret etcetera. It also states, very importantly that the magna mundi team is no more affiliated with UV, nor a team for that matter.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Zog View Post
    It really is not self glorifying. They expressly state that they've said things that they regret etcetera. It also states, very importantly that the magna mundi team is no more affiliated with UV, nor a team for that matter.
    These are just modders who really wanted to see their creation see the light of day and are no longer interested in the politics of all that is going on. I have a lot of respect for them and wish them all the best.
    'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except Death MEIOU and Taxes' -Benjamin Franklin

See, now THIS is a classy way out. Not lawsuits and passive-aggressive blame-slinging. Ubik, take note.

Quote Originally Posted by lukew View Post
    These are just modders who really wanted to see their creation see the light of day and are no longer interested in the politics of all that is going on. I have a lot of respect for them and wish them all the best.
    Agreed. I hope my post won't be interpreted in any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Zog View Post
    Agreed. I hope my post won't be interpreted in any other way.
    Of course. Lets just hope this stuff all gets resolved quickly - with as little mess as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomn_Peng View Post
    See, now THIS is a classy way out. Not lawsuits and passive-aggressive blame-slinging. Ubik, take note.
    I think maybe we should stop jumping on the anti-Ubik bandwagon and just let Ubik and Paradox sort things out between themselves - though I have to say these guys have dealt with the situation a lot better than he has.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Yours,

James Coe (Vishaing, Former Scripter, Magna Mundi)
    Daniel Danborg (RevoltingFriend, Former Artist, Magna Mundi)
    Merse Kovácsházi (k_merse, Former Database Editor, Magna Mundi)
    Jun-Hee Lee (Ese Khan, Former Scripter, Magna Mundi)
    Lars Maischak (Helius, Former Scripting Lead, Magna Mundi)
    Michael Myers (MichaelM, Former Engine Developer, Magna Mundi)
    Anuraag Pakanati (Zeitgeist, Former Engine Lead, Magna Mundi)
    Ignacio Sagüés Serrano (LoK-y-Yo, Former Spanish Translator, Magna Mundi)
    Maxim Yudin (Ignatich, Former Engine Developer, Magna Mundi)
    I do urge Paradox to accept this offer.

I don't want to diss my own countrymen, but I'm fairly sure the guys above are the true cogs and hard core talent that can make MMtG work.

Knowing my people, our egos, ambitions (and a lot of other stuff better left unmentioned) were probably one of the bigger obstacles MMtG had to face.

So, as a Portuguese myself, I'll say it so that others don't have to think it: weed out all the Portuguese from the process and you'll have a chance to make this project move forward and possibly even end up with a game that can be a commercial success.

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomn_Peng View Post
    Agreed. Best of luck to the people who worked on MM on their future endeavours.

Thanks and good luck.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

My best wishes to the people who worked on this

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast