+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Discipline

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

With your slider at nearly fully offensive artillery is basically a waste of time.

PS To beat that Austria hold them up in the mountains (you can do this easily with a 2:1 or even 3:1 disadvantage). Then just use your fleet to blockade their entire country. With the WE, the blockades and the fact that most of their country probably has nationalism they will very quickly start to collapse.
    MEIOU and Taxes for EUIV - Download Now!
    Development Diary | Wiki | Release announcement | Facebook
    'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except Death MEIOU and Taxes' -Benjamin Franklin
    Death and Taxes - an EUIII DW mod
    'Is this version save game compatible?' -Everyone

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    It's a bit early for massive artillery in his armies, but what does the offence slider have to do with it?
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Grubnessul View Post
    It's a bit early for massive artillery in his armies, but what does the offence slider have to do with it?
    It would affect how cost-effective artillery is; full-offensive artillery is 67% more expensive than full-defensive arty.
    (Note that artillery is more viable in 5.2 than older versions since it no longer slows the army.)
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

Quote Originally Posted by jdrou View Post
    It would affect how cost-effective artillery is; full-offensive artillery is 67% more expensive than full-defensive arty.
    (Note that artillery is more viable in 5.2 than older versions since it no longer slows the army.)
    Which is a pretty big change. In a lot of my games I only build 8 or so arty regiments for my anti-march stack. Otherwise the drag on speed isn't usually worth the greater effectiveness on the attack. Obviously if I expect to be doing a fair amount of defending (such as my Italy game) that is a different matter. Artillery backed stacks in the Alps are pretty tough to punch through.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Well i used 2k cavalry, 4k infantry 4k artilery as france. Sieged down half(second half i did assaulted - but it was IN where assault was easier) of spain very quickly(and used to defend in THEIR mountains XD). And it was at land tech 18 or earlier.

So what i think best way of low cost(manpower wise) war, is to have engineer corps plus max defensive, and make siege stacks plus assign to each a general with good siege(ussualy with engineer corps and max def, you get 2 or 3 siege generals at 0 war tradition).

What makes Arty worthless? Is it just the cost and speed? I guess i could use the slots for cavalry, but I thought they helped with sieges. Ive built my armies to be 10 inf 5 cav and 5 art. How should i build my armies then?

I use the X infantry and X-1 cavalry setup and 2-6 regiments of guns (depending on fort lvl, 2 at start and 6 at endgame) to make sieges somewhat smoother. I wasn't aware of the speed penalty they apply because it never bothered me. I do not rely on sheer speed rather my genuine tactical skill
    Last edited by bagalas; 27-06-2012 at 09:02.

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    Quote Originally Posted by BeondTheGrave View Post
    What makes Arty worthless? Is it just the cost and speed? I guess i could use the slots for cavalry, but I thought they helped with sieges. Ive built my armies to be 10 inf 5 cav and 5 art. How should i build my armies then?
    Ever since HTTT, after 1650: 1:1 infantry:artillery + some cavalry for flanking.
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Grubnessul View Post
    Ever since HTTT, after 1650: 1:1 infantry:artillery + some cavalry for flanking.
    Just to clarify, this is because of the way the battle mechanics work. Artillery are deployed "behind" infantry, but they can fire over the infantry. As long as some infantry remain, they will never suffer losses, so, you effectively have a powerful fire and shock force that is practically invincible until your infantry meatshield are destroyed.
    WritAAR of the Week, 5th of March, 2012
    Best Character Writer of the Week, 18th of March, 2012
    Trying to find a way to write a narrative-based AAR without it becoming tedious.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by lukew View Post
    Morale pretty much becomes an obsolete difference late game as armies will always stick around long enough to wipe each other out.
    And this always annoyed me. Not very often IRL did armies stay on the field to become completely massacred. IMO anytime a formation loses 15-20% of its strength it should automatically break and rout. But of course 'battles' in the game should really be more of a mini-campaign as they can last for weeks or more. Furthermore, pursuit of a fleeing army often resulted in massive casualties but this is not reflected in the game at all. If you manage to get to a province before a retreating army you might wipe it out altogether, which is not really the same thing. </rambling>
    My AAR's:
    -------------
    I would rather fight an alliance than be part of one - Napoleon
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2